1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Everyone.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Eyerene, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Eyerene

I am new here. I just joined today. I didn't notice this section at first, so I've already posted in some other threads already.

I hope to make digital art my career, as tough as the industry may be. I'll probably be doing writing or singing on the side as well, just to make sure I can stay afloat. A freelancer, if you will.

I'm in the QSA at my school, and I make art and posters for it whenever they are needed. I'm in high school, and I'll be heading to a polytechnic next year since I'm in Grade 12. It will be kind of unreal, being that I probably won't know anyone there. My best friend is headed to one of the universities instead, but we've been going to different schools since junior high. We'll stick together, regardless of distance.

I like cats, writing, reading, art, music... almost anything creative really. I'm trying to teach myself Japanese in my spare time. I'm training for the JLPT N5 (the easiest one - I only started studying less than a year ago).

I feel like this post is starting to get kind of lengthy, so if you want to chat more, feel free to send a response in this thread or PM me.

#1 Eyerene, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Eyerene. Welcome to EC!

You've got some awesome interests. When you say digital art what does that cover?

3. Eyerene

Thank you for welcoming me.

Thanks.

For digital art, that can mean anything from editing photos in Photoshop (changing the colour, blending two or more images together, adding textures, increasing or decreasing contrast, adjustment layers) to creating/editing drawings digitally. I just like toying with the way images look and altering composition.

I also like doing some of the "traditional arts" as well - sketching and painting mostly, but my favourite physical medium would have to be chalk pastel. I don't get to do much painting or chalk pastel works at home - I don't have those supplies. Most of my artwork is at school in art class. I took the advanced art level this term so I would have art all year instead of just one term.

What sorts of things do you like to do?

4. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow! I'm jealous. I'm limited to stick people. I would love to be able to draw. I would also love your digital skills to be able to design tattoos that I want.

One of my friends has been watching videos of people using alcohol based markers. The images were amazing.

My creative leaning is towards writing. I used to write quite a lot of poetry but now I'm attempting to produce my first novel.

5. Eyerene

Let me tell you an art secret: you can easily build upon stick figures to make more realistic looking people. Draw your stick person to whatever proportions you'd like (realistic or unrealistic is fine) and then add simple shapes over top - circles for the shoulders, knees, and other joints, cylinders for the arms and legs, rectangles for chest and stomach, etc. Then draw to follow the outside of the shapes where you think the skin would be. The best way to see this is Googling anatomy tips. Be warned though - some of it may be classed as NSFW.

Art is just layering over top of basic shapes and understanding colour palettes. As long as you know basic shapes and how to break images into them, art isn't as difficult anymore.

That's not to say that following my advice will make your art instantly look the best, but it will be better than where you started, and that's what matters.

Sorry, I started rambling. I love art too much, I suppose. :lol:

Tattoos? I've never tried designing a tattoo for someone before. What sort of thing would you be looking for?

I've personally never tried using professional art markers to colour my work, but I have seen some other people do it really well. It might be something worth trying.

So you like writing as well? Awesome. I was also looking into writing my own story as well. I have all these ideas, but it's hard to sit down and write when I have so many other things to do. I wish you the best of luck on it, and that you are much more productive than I am.

6. Nerdyandconfuse

Digital Art and Japanese? YESSS
    This community is already looking great.

I've self caught some level of Japanese before learning it at a nearby elementary, and even worked and volunteered in an environment where people spoke native Japanese.

Good luck for your studies and hope you have fun!!(Languages are great)

7. Eyerene

Really? Wow that's really cool. I'm so new to learning Japanese, at this point I wouldn't be able to do something like that. I hope to be able to take official classes at some point. They removed the Japanese language program at my school right before I entered Grade 10, so I'll probably have to take Japanese at a university instead.

Thanks! I don't know how far along you are in your studying, but I hope is goes great for you as well.

8. TrashAuthor

Hi!
    good luck with your art! it is tough but not quite as tough as people make it out to be. Some areas are harder to break into than others, the trick is to plan your way around them!
    I learned Japanese at high school and university myself. Its a very difficult language but at least its more coherent than English which is a total mess haha! ganbatte!

9. Bakemono

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  10. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Eyerene! Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

11. Eyerene

TrashAuthor:
    Thank you for the kind words. And you are very right: it's not the same difficulty to get into all art industries. I'd imagine advertising is the easiest, and doing something like creating your own work and selling it without commissions would be the most difficult.

English can be quite the mess. I'm very lucky for it to be my first language; learning it from a different one would be very tough. I'd imagine that when you get the hang of Japanese it starts to become a lot easier. I'm still very much a beginner, but I'm starting to see some patterns in how the Kanji works and some in verb conjugations.

Hello.

Quantumreality:
    Thank you for the warm welcome.