1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What connotations does queer have?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tre, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Queer was supposed to be an all inclusive label for gay, bi and no label people. But in my area it has a few specific connotations.
    1. A bisexual girl who doesn't like the word bisexual. "Straight looking" girls generally get seen as this.
    2. Poly and kinky. I've noticed this as well. Mainly when a girl looks a bit non-mainstream.
    3. Genderqueer/pansexual

One connotation I wish it had was gay girl who doesn't want to commit to a label or limit herself. Maybe it had this connotation at one time. Or for more butch types.

2. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I heard someone describe themselves as queer I'd assume they were pansexual

3. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I personally don't like the word "queer". I realize that people use it for re-appropriation (changing derogatory words to mean something positive). But it still has a derogatory meaning or context from my point of view. If an LGBT+ person uses it to describe themselves, I don't have a problem with that - more power to them if that is what they want. But I don't like it when news articles and other media use the word "queer" to describe the LGBT+ community.

The reason why I feel this way is because the word "queer" from the dictionary meaning is defined as "weird, unusual, unexpected, odd, deviant, abnormal, or atypical". The word "queer" originally has a derogatory meaning. So using it towards yourself seems to work against the community. I prefer not to be called "queer".

#3 Ljjgreat2017, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  4. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup

5. Rook

If someone calls themselves queer I think they are young, afab, progressive, bisexual. They feel confined by a specific label, probably because they identify with more than one. They're most likely young because I see nothing in 'queer' but shock value. It is a derogatory word that has no credibility to it; how can people use it in any way other than as an insult or with irony?

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just assume somewhere on the bi/pan spectrum.

7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like queer myself. It's the only all-encompassing, non-acronym term out there in wide use.

Is it derogatory? Maybe a little, but it's been in use within the community for as long as there's been a community. Does it come with shock value? I guess it could...personally I don't see it that way, at least not when LGBT individuals use it.

8. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If someone calls themselves queer I'd just think they're not straight/cis honestly, I don't tend to make assumptions further than that. Then again English isn't my first language so it's not like I hear that word being used around here

9. dvxqnc

Unless it's a term that's used as a general label for everyone who isn't straight and isn't cis, it seems unnecessary to me.

Like, if a man only likes men, he can be gay. Why does he call himself queer? I might just be ignorant though. The only people I know who use that label are the super far-left types.

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To me, it's the opposite of the whole "we're just like you - nonthreatening and normal" types. It's "we're different and not going anywhere". I understand, ahem, some demographics within LGBT are almost indistinguishable from their straight, cisgender counterparts, and seem to care more what they think than anything else.

Some call themselves gay/trans/etc AND queer.

11. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We don't have the word "queer" in my native language, so I don't know for sure... but when I hear it, I think of either bisexual or pansexual... but if I'll hear someone calling themselves queer, I woudn't automatically label them as bisexual or pansexual, because I know this word might have a different meaning to them. I would just know that they are not straight or cis.

12. Xemptor90

Xemptor90 Guest

This is what I go by when someone says they are queer

#12 Xemptor90, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2017
  13. Embi

Embi Guest

Same. I generally don't like making assumptions. There are a lot of reasons why people might use the word queer, they don't have to be bi/pan to use it. I personally use bi and queer interchangeably. And some people simply use it because their labels are complicated, so it is easier to say that they're queer instead of, for example, aromantic pansexual genderfluid.

14. Ozma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if it just me, but I think queer sounds derogatory, so I avoid using it.

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's how I view it too. I don't much thought into it beyond that, unless they're comfortable with approaching me about it more--but I won't pry them. I use the label for me because of how I drift here and there with how I self identify; and how it's way less complicated to say I'm queer than I'm a non-binary leaning pansexual (possibly demiromantic) trans man. There's a lot of labels out there that not only making pinpointing yourself difficult, but putting up with a group of certain edgelords just make it a bigger headache.

However, I won't push it onto people who aren't comfortable with it. I know a lot of people who find it degrading, and that's valid. For me, it ties into people within the community who have reclaimed the word "faggot". I know many gay people who cringe at hearing it, and some who have proudly taken it back--my partner being one of them. It really just depends on the person.

16. MaoKingofcats

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea I agree I mean honestly we're all humans even though there are some people that I question um are you even human? Personally I don't care much for it as long as it isn't hurting anyone

17. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Queer a few decades ago was a synonym for gay/homosexual. It's been reclaimed since then, but I prefer to identify as gay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to view queer as being something outside of homo/heterosexual or cis/trans.

19. UrsulaJay

I always viewed as a umbrella term used for everyone that isn't heterosexual. I never thought of it as a negative term, however I am aware of it's history as being a slur. I find myself using it more when refer to myself because I don't have a specific label I am comfortable with.

20. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There are still people in my life that use words like queer and fag in the most negative sense of the words. Its really sad.