1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally am at peace with myself

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Mj5963, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I have posted for bit for a months time As I been toiling over first my infidelity and concurrently my sexuality . I had been cheating on my wife for several years exploring my sexuality only with guys . I have been working very hard with two therapist one is a marriage therapist and other is a gay affirming therapist . I feel very comfortable and completely at peace knowing I am not gay . I also know I am not straight , I did enjoy sex with guys and of course my wife . So no need for any label other than I know I am not straight and I know I am not gay. I have decided to make a deep commitment to my wife as she has shown me amazing love and caring during this and as I think about life and what makes me happy, while my actions of past few years would point otherwise , my happiness will be with my wife for life and I am committed to make it work. I feel HAPPY!

#1 Mj5963, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2017
  2. Godless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good for you. I'm happy for you.

3. WMM

WMM

Good luck. It is possible.

My wife and I are wild children, so it was much easier for her to experience her lesbian side. The lesbian is strong in her, but she loves me. She doesn't like my body, but she loves my kisses and my attention. We have lots of sex.

Some people said I would have enjoyed sex much more if I had dumped her and found a heterosexual woman. They said she would have been more fulfilled if she had dumped me and found a lesbian girlfriend. But our sex is pretty good. We have a lot of sexy fun every day in our sixties. I have as many orgasms as I can. I make sure she has several every day.

And I know a lot of times while I'm performing oral sex on her she's thinking about her girlfriends. But that's fine. We love each other, and that means more than sex.

Be well

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good Luck!!!

5. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks all the road Is not complete as I am accepting that my wife and I still have a lot of work to do on "us" and I also. Know there is always a chance that it doesn't work out and divorce could happen , that being said I am so at peace with it because after way too many years of my own questioning myself , I am happy with my answer and so ready to continue our healing path together . I feel in love again and wow I am so happy to say that. The gravity and weight of it all is going away and the release is indescribable !

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mj, it is great your at peace with yourself knowing you fall somewhere between straight and gay, and even with that your desire to want to work things out with your wife which I do hope is successful.

It is my sincere hope your wife will allow herself to be open minded enough to give you the room you need to be yourself. Based on your prior posts, I know she has a lot of work to do to get there.

As you navigate this next phase with her, I would just suggest you do so in a manner which allows you to stay true to yourself. The last place you want to be is in a situation where you both agree to move forward but you do so in a way which restricts your ability to continue to be completely honest with yourself - however it is you define such honesty.

Please continue to post, as you said, you still have a way to go!

7. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All good and all appreciated

8. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi MJ

As I've written before, I admire your commitment to your wife and your desire to be in a monogamous marriage.

I am going to ask a hard question here. I touched on this another time and so has OntheHighway...

Something drove you to become sexually active with men in the past. This wasn't a one time thing or with one person as you've reported. And, it wasn't just some experimentation or an oops mistake. Forgive this interpretation...but it seemed maybe more like a lifestyle. Can you be fulfilled without having intimacy with men?

Everyone is different. But, for a lot of us, this need to engage our true sexual identity...gay, bi or straight or some variation of these...is necessary to be fulfilled. I know that as a bisexual I was happy for 35 years of monogamy with my wife. Now, I desire the sexual fulfillment of having sex with men. I wouldn't at the cost of my marriage, which is fulfilling in so many other ways. But, it is something I feel I need to be complete.

The desires don't go away. I hope that this is part of your thought process. Not acting on these desires is one thing...denying them is quite another. After all the years with my wife, it became apparent that unless I was out to my wife and she was O.K. with it, I could not be everything I am. I hope this becomes your situation.

To reiterate what I once wrote. Being bisexual does not mean you have gay sex (or straight sex for that matter). It means that you recognize and embrace the attractions. I am finding that the sex with guys is not nearly as fulfilling as the social aspects of being gay. My wife was always O.K. with this. I hope you can find this within the bounds of your marriage.

I hang out with gay guys as a gay man some of the time. This might include going to a drag show, or a gay bar, do some dancing, flirting. My wife has gone with me sometimes. But, I get to be gay...and it is so important to me. In fact, if I get that in my life, I feel less obsessed with having intimacy with a man.

Best of luck.

9. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I truly appreciate all the feedback it really resonates and means a lot to me that first off anyone cares and secondly sharing your own experiences . I understand it all and have been open to my wife since this happened . That being said we hang out with gay friends , go to pride in south beach and never deny the interaction with my and our gay friends . Sex was my outlet and yes sure I enjoyed all of it , but I also love sex with my wife and want that emotional connection and love that goes along with it so we make love . This is a journey I can't predict the future only can live for the now and try to see the future life and be happy with it as that is the ultimate goal. Thanks again.

10. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Finding happiness and peace is the ultimate goal of our journeys. Since love and emotional connection are important considerations for you, I'm wondering how love and emotional connection with another man feels vis-à-vis the bond that you have with your wife?

11. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @siennafire, for me I simply never had love or emotional connection with a man, and I have dug deep into my heart and soul working with therapist to understand it all and it really was sex and just sexual for me . With my wife getting that "feeling" inside is real and through all of this has shown me that it still exists. We both have realized and uncovered a lot that let my vulnerability and curiousity seeker some type of release and it was sex was sort of my "drug of choice" per say. So we begin our real road of reconciliTion with complete transparency , remorse , sense of being and love . It feels wonderful

12. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    MJ, so many of us have been in your position. It's obviously for you to decide what works for you. I would simply advise to make sure your being honest with yourself. Don't let guilt or your wife's conservative views impact how your thinking about yourself; because of you do, what seems like a solution today may cause longer term pain and suffering for everyone going forward (including yourself).

13. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey MJ

Just to clarify. It is great that you have gay friends and support the LGBT community. That's not what I meant by being engaged with other gay/bi men. Half my family is gay. It wasn't until I was a gay man with other guys that I learned to appreciate the difference. My wife said this the best...it is worth repeating. "You cannot not be gay and you cannot be gay alone". I hope your wife allows the freedom to have a platonic gay lifestyle or you get some other way to engage your same sex attractions as part of a heterosexual marriage.

Forgive me for using the term gay instead of "bi". Another of my wife's conditions. I called it my "bi-side" and she asked which side of "bi" was she on? So, I refer to my same sex attractions as gay.

#13 Nickw, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  14. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am all good gay or bi or whatever it is not an issue for me either way , it is a label and a label is not what I need not seek

15. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wonderful is cuddling with the man that you love after hot sex and waking up next to each other the following morning. His embrace makes you feel safe and secure in ways that our wives never could. Since your extramarital activities were limited to men, I wonder if you might regret and feel remorse that you haven't given yourself permission to feel love and connection with another man, instead discounting and attributing your experience with the label of sex addiction. Your sexual attraction to men also means that you have the potential for romantic attraction to men, and you may even find that love with men even more wonderful.

#15 SiennaFire, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  16. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Been giving this some more thought as I am floating 35,000 feet above the ground. Mj, have you dealt with shame at all with your therapists? Not the guilt from cheating, but shame from your same sex desires? It sounds like your discussing the same sex attraction and trying to understand it. But I wonder if maybe your confusing the guilt from one with the shame from the other. If you rush to try and reconcile, and the shame is left unattended to, you might be reconciling with a fragile foundation. As you reconcile, please be sure to address shame with your therapist so you can confidently reconcile with a solid foundation.

17. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And just to add to this train of thought, maybe you should consider if your using your wife's desire to reconcile as a way to pacify the shame and continue to repress it rather than dealing with it head on. You may want to bring this up with your therapist. If what I am suggesting is wrong, which I very may be, is there any harm in contemplating it?

18. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there and I actually been addressing shame head on with my therapist and feel pretty good about that. As you all know impossible to use EC to say everything and articulate it totally. The road to reconciliation is a long one and I feel I have been very open and honest to not only my therapist and to my wife . I am mature enough and strong enough to know that there still is a lot we have to work out and consider. By no means are we at a place where "ok everything is ok now !" So I welcome all thoughts here and like anything absorbing my own heart and souls plus the throighs of the therapists along with the depth of my wife and her honesty will provide a foundation that will be strong and real . Thanks again

19. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good to hear how open and honest your being all the way around!

20. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ironically all of this has given me the courage to be just that open and honest . I actually called my best man who I have known 35 years and of course I told him everything and while he was surprised he was amazing in supporting me . We talked at length not about my marriage and any issues related it was a long discussion of my journey discovering then getting comfortable about my sexuality and how the journey began . I would be open to tell everyone however therapist has really stressed to not rush that too . So slowly I tell those who I am close too and can at minimum use their support as well