1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lazuri, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Lazuri

Who else is playing the early release?

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed so far--the game doesn't feel like Mass Effect at all to me. I didn't hype myself for this game at all, I haven't watched any trailers, I haven't read any interviews; I simply trusted a Mass Effect to be what I expected.

Really, the only expectation I had going in was "it's Mass Effect" and I ended up being disappointed anyways because it's kind of not.

2. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Mass FX 3 was already a bit disappointing (need to finish it still) I bet it was a bit dissapointing. its using the Dragon Age inquisition system isnt it? I have hardly read anything about it for the same reason... I dont have a next gen console yet...but I will play it anyway..later..when its cheaper

3. clexanet

I won't be able to play before next week but that's what I'm afraid of, that it will be a disappointment. xD I'm not taking your word for it yet, but I'm more than prepared, especially now, to be disappointed as well.

4. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    (&&&) Were here to catch you.. the Mass Effect support group

:icon_bigg

5. Elysian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Haven't had a chance to get the early access- I don't make it back home until at least early August and I'm bitter about it as I will be dodging spoilers like crossing a minefield.

What about it doesn't live up to your Mass Effect concept?

I am low-key hyped about it and I'm disappointed to hear that it didn't live up to your expectations- though bare in mind I played The Witcher 3 in early access and was severely disappointed in it and then when I got to giving the full game a try, I was pleasantly surprised! So keep the faith mi compadre :grin:

If it turns out to be awful I reserve the right to retract my fleeting optimism.

#5 Elysian, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  6. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So far in the closet I'm almost in Narnia :lol:

7. Elysian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'M WORKING ON IT OK :bang::grin:

8. clexanet

Haha! :lol: Good to know, I might need that shoulder next weekend. I see you're from Northern Europe, so that makes things easier to arrange for that cry-fest. I'm from nearby - Estonia. :icon_bigg

I'm still wounded over ME3 tbh so I'm not sure how easily I'll adapt to new characters and life without Shepard.

9. Lazuri

The way it plays feels too different, enemies are too bulletspongey, the cutscenes play out so differently that it doesn't feel like an ME game, the voice acting of all things isn't quite up to par, the visual design is too different from previous games, the new setting makes every Asari, krogan or Turian that appear to just feel like a reference or cameo. In short, it feels like it's trying so hard to be different from the previous games that it sort of lost its identity.

Dragon Age: Inquisition managed to be different from previous games, but still distinctly felt like a DA game, but I'm not getting that vibe from ME:A.

10. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No let me come in the closet with you and visit Narnia ! :icon_bigg

:lol: I am still wounded to over Mass Effects 3 - that I did not finish - And thanks for the Shepard spoiler :tantrum: ! :lol: *my bad, I should not have come in a Andromeda topic ; p *

Yes, you are
    21 hours driving away, but in horse speed that would be 14 hours of course. :lol:

So we will have to set up crying, paint blue for feeling Liara blue, and shout at random people the reaperssss!! The reapers are coming ! As a way to channel our emotions. Hey I can ride a horse..kinda...sort of. So we can paint horses blue and do all that.

Or we can just play the game together while crying and sobbing!

(&&&) We can get trough this hurdle !!! We can !!!

We Mass Effect players have tough shell to be able to go trough all this ! :eusa_doh: :icon_bigg

11. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They wanted to regain the original core of Mass Effect, exploration.
    The Mass Effect game it would be most like is the first one.

I've seen trailers and even gameplay from PAX and I'm looking forward to playing it.

I never expected it to be a lot like the trilogy because it's not commander Shepard, and it's not even the Milky Way. I'd expect few of the other races from Milky Way because it was mostly a human effort to go to Andromeda.

You're not playing as a tested hero this time, you're a recruit, so again it's going to feel different. It would actually be a benefit to learn a bit about the game beforehand just so you don't expect it to be exactly like the trilogy.

What I've seen so far feels almost like a return to form for Mass Effect in that it restores the exploration aspect of the first game and improves on it.

12. Lazuri

Well, Andromeda takes place 600 years after ME3, so of course Shepard isn't around, even if s/he maybe did survive ME3.

So they're aiming to be most like the shittiest ME game to date? Great choice.

I wasn't completely in the dark about the game; I knew it wasn't about Shepard or anybody else we knew about, I knew it was taking place in andromeda 600 years after ME3 and I knew there was a new focus on exploration, but none of these things meant that it shouldn't still feel like a Mass Effect game. Yet somehow, it did.

I'm not the kind of person that wants every game in a series to be more or less the same--I like new things--but this is just way too much.

Also, just to correct you a bit, as far as I have understood, going to Andromeda wasn't a human undertaking at all. The ship that you're on is almost exclusively human colonists, but they talk about other ships that was part of the Andromeda initiative and I'm pretty sure they mentioned that they weren't all filled with humans.

13. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I haven't played it myself yet, so I only knew about the ship the player is on.

From what I have seen I still get a strong Mass Effect feel from all of it.

14. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How is the dialogue choices and all that though and extra quests/missions?

#14 PianoKeys, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017
  15. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    IDK, but apparently they recorded WAY MORE voice lines than even ME3.
    And instead of just Paragon/Renegade, there's a 4 personality type system, and for decisions that used to be more Paragon/Renegade they are more grey style "Agree/Disagree" type stuff apparently from what I found out.

16. Lazuri

Yeah, typically, you pick responses between the categories emotional, professional, casual and logical. Some more heavy decisions only have two options and while I can see the inspiration from paragon and renegade, the options tend to be more or less the same and, just like you said, more grey. Ryder in general has way less personality than Shepard did.

I've played it a bit more now and while I still feel a huge disconnect from the other ME games, I'm starting to get into the gameplay itself. I'm still disappointed, but I think it can be a good game.

However, it's a BioWare game, so it has the same issues as it always does. BioWare usually pulls a good story out of their ass and sometimes even decent gameplay, but one thing they're always shit at is the technical aspect of game development. The loading times are long, the performance is stuttery, the animations are occasionally really fucking weird and the game sometimes displays more serious technical issues such as loss of sound until reboot or hanging itself in a black screen upon exit. The game in general just feels messy, unpolished and inefficient. BioWare really needs more competent staff when it comes to the technical aspects of development.

17. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just wonder how people are getting a hold of the game early. Pre-load doesn't start til tomorrow(Friday)

18. Lazuri

It's very common for companies like EA to have early release programs that apply to streamers and youtubers, so they can help hype up the game right before release.

19. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    so you have to sign up to get it early? Do you have to stream or record youtube videos for it?

Personally, even if I did record videos of a game that isn't released yet, I wouldn't release the videos until the day the game comes out because I hate when half a dozen youtubers release videos of like, the first 3-4 hours of a game before I even get the chance to play it myself.

20. clexanet

What are female hairstyles like in Andromeda in character creation? Did they actually have budget for it this time? :grin: