1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Casey221B, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Casey221B

My mom is a super cool person. But sometimes she says things that are so upsetting to me, and I can't even talk to her about it.

For example, I went to a therapist once. She told me I probably had social anxiety. I was telling my mom this, and she started talking about how everyone has a little bit of social anxiety and that I just need to get out there more.

Another time, I was telling my mom about California legally recognizing 7 nonbinary people. She told me that her problem with nonbinary genders was that it was just a box you're putting yourself into and that she doesn't like labels. You can not like labels, but it's not really your decision what other people call themselves.

So I can't tell her about what upsets me because she'll just say something like that and we won't get anywhere.

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sucks that you can't talk to her when you need to. I need to talk to my mom soon about being agender and wanting to change my name however we don't really talk about the important stuff.

It's mainly because I have always been socially awkward and I don't like talking about my problems/issues and I'm also worried about upsetting her.

I've never really liked labels however I was so confused about how I felt etc I needed to work out what I was. And now I know I feel better about myself.

Do you have anyone else close to you that you can talk to? Maybe you need to explain to your mom that you need her to listen to you instead of her making comments about everyone else

3. Sek

Sek

Casey221B, sometimes in life we encounter people with different opinions than ours. And we always encounter people with different life experiences than ours. What she says is not out of harm or out of malice. They are words shaped from her personal history and make sense to her.

I'm sorry to hear that you cannot find common ground on some issues with your mother, but it's inevitable that you won't agree on completely everything. As long as you can both explain your thoughts and respect each other and continue to love each other then you will be okay. Try to find your tribe of people who feel as you feel, whose presence will help you strengthen your convictions and be there to support you when your mother might not be.