1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Alabama Senate votes to do away with marriage licenses

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sldanlm, Mar 8, 2017.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alabama Senate passes bill to eliminate marriage licenses | AL.com

I'm not sure what the difference is for the far right Probate judges that are currently refusing to issue licenses. If the judge has to "record" the marriage, wouldn't that be against their beliefs just the same as issuing a piece of paper? Also what do you get in place of a license, a receipt? For some things for a marriage to be recognized (like in the military) you have to provide proof of documentation, or my former employers health care, or my BF's health care.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm... I'm not sure that is isn't actually a Progressive move. If people don't need marriage 'licenses' to prove that they are married, then what 'proof' does any state, let alone the Federal Government need to show that any two individuals are married? I'm not sure that there aren't pitfalls buried in this idea, but on the surface, it would (potentially) seem to be even more favorable to same-sex marriages than even opposite-sex marriages.

I would tend to support this idea at this point.

Just my thoughts and opinion.:slight_smile:

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The crazier states just want excuses for their homophobia, how amusing it would be to see them get a taste of their own medicine. I'd love to see any loopholes exploited to heck and back so the rest of us can sit back and laugh at them~

That being said... it's a shame their little train keeps on going, it doesn't matter if it's pointed at the cliff's edge, they'll want to see how fast it can go and how far they can push it. :confused:

4. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    About the bolded, I'm suspicious of this proposal. It sounds good in theory, but if it is why hasn't it been done sooner, and by more states? Or does the current system generate simply generate more money for the probate court or license bureau?

5. SkyDiver

That shit stain of a state is still relevant?

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't understand what the point of this really is. Seems like more waste of time solving a problem that only exists in some people's minds.

7. L0ser

Well, with all the problems in this country and the potential for things to be better I'm glad Alabama is still trying to stick it to the gays. Sad, really.

#7 L0ser, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017