1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out to friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MWhit6, Mar 7, 2017.

1. MWhit6

So, I'm out to my mom, dad, and paternal grandmother, and I just stammered out "I'm, uhh, I'm, uh, I'm, uh, Bi" on each occasion. With some of my friends, I mentioned it in a text, which I found easier. I'd like to come out to everyone, but I don't really know how. Help?

2. DreamonRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I say make it public so no one asks if they hear something. Post it on social media because it is not something in person. If you aren't comfortable every pick specifics on like Snapchat and make a video.

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi MWhit6,

The first few times coming out to people is super scary. It's especially true when we come out to those closest to us. They are the hardest ones to come out to because we know we have more to lose if we are rejected by them. Family and our closest friends usually fall into this category. The more distant the friend or acquaintance the less we care about their acceptance.

You've done the hardest ones. I promise you it gets easier the more you do it.

Personally, in my opinion, coming out to others is better done in person. Questions can be asked and answered, and it's much more personal and heartfelt. The number of immediate hugs alone has lifted my spirits immensely in my coming out journey.

Now, that's for those you care about and want to tell them in person. For everyone else, social media is the best choice. You have a couple of options: first is the coming out post or pic or video (FB Live?) message that lets people know. This can be done in a serious way or a funny way depending upon how you want to present it. Find a fun coming out pic, or better yet, make a coming out pic and post it. Another way you can come out is to just "be" your gay self, and over time people will catch on. When you interact on social media and in real life by no longer censoring yourself or hiding who you are people will get the message.

One way that I did it was to use Facebook Messenger. I created groups of my friends, and tailor-made messages for those particular groups. One message to old school friends was different than my message to friends from my hobby group, for example, and was tailored for each of them. This also had the effect of allowing the group to interact with you after telling them. It worked well for me.

In the end, coming out is all about living authentically, with confidence in who you are, with pride and the knowledge that you have worth as a human being in whatever your orientation and identity.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

4. idefygravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've never really been big into social media and coming out that way.
    Personally, when it came to school people just found out because I was dating someone? It was extremely casual. When it comes to everywhere else in my life (especially now that I'm out of high school) I just come out when given the opportunity.
    I don't know if you hate the idea of having to not just coming out to everyone at once, but it just felt a lot easier to me. If it makes you nervous when you bring it up to people in person, then maybe make casual posts about the subject of lgbt issues? Coming out really gets easier over time, but I know that can also be different for everyone.

5. MWhit6

Thank you all so much. This helps a lot!