1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to not get upset over FB likes?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by FuelsMySong, Mar 7, 2017.

1. FuelsMySong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have Facebook and the photos I posted used to average around 17-22 likes. The highest I ever got was 38 likes. However, lately less and less people have been liking my photos. Right now, I average about 2-4 likes. I even posted one picture (it was a pic of my dog which I thought was pretty cute) and no one liked it. I know it's really trivial but I can't help but to get a little bit upset. Especially since my mom, who also has FB, averaged 100-200 likes. I feel like FB reflects my social life and this means that I don't really have one or I used to have one but it's gone. Like I went from 17-22 likes which wasn't that high in the first place to 2-4 likes. Are people just getting annoyed at my posts? Am I posting at the wrong time? I don't think my pictures are that bad. I don't notice a decline in quality so I don't know why there's a decline in likes.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one thing I've had to realize is that sometimes likes don't mean anything. I knew someone who liked everything I posted, even when they disagreed with it or didn't understand what it meant. It was purely to get attention and acknowledgement.

People could be busy or not be on FB as frequently, or they may mentally like the post without feeling the need to click a button anymore.

#2 Creativemind, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  3. Victas

Usually people likes your pictures because they want that "like4like" (and I find that pretty stupid) so they may have stopped liking your pics when they noticed you never liked their pics?

I don't really have any tips...

#3 Victas, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2017
  4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In fact, most of the time they mean nothing. The system doesn't control the motive behind the likes: Does the person really like the photo? Do they want attention? Do they just click like on everything? Do they like some things that grabbed their attention without thinking too much about it?

Now, a question it is worth thinking about: If social media are upsetting you, or being negative in any other way, then it is a good idea to take some time away from them. Likes or attention in social media shouldn't be a major point of your life.

Of course, it can be fun when you post something and people like it, but if you are using likes as a measure of something (be it something personal or simply "how cool the photo is" or "how much attention i got on this photo"), then social media stops being fun and may start to become an obsession, which isn't healthy.

My advice is: What about taking some time away from Facebook? You don't need to close you account, but try not visiting the site for a few days. Or, when you visit it, stop posting photos for now.

You can also try to connect with people outside Facebook. Go do something with some friends, for example, and don't worry about taking pictures: Instead, enjoy the moment, without photos.

Or, if you want, try to find some groups near you with similar interests, and try to connect with other people. Use your "Facebook time" to try to find new meaningful connections. Without taking photos to post. Enjoy the moment! :icon_wink

5. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Likes are virtual, they mean nothing. It's simply people scrolling through their feed and clicking a button. There is little emotion or meaning behind them so I really wouldn't worry about it.