1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I chase my unstable GF? or Not?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by janejones, Mar 7, 2017.

1. janejones

Hello All,

I would like to ask advises from you guys about my relationship. I would really appreciate your advises coz it will help me decide on my next move about my relationship.

I have a closet long distance girlfriend for almost 2 yrs, she came from a conservative family that believes being gay is a sin. But I do believe her family have an idea what she really is they’re just being in denial about it. So we broke up last Jan 12. Her reasons are: she wants to focus on herself, she’s unhappy with her life, she feels numb, so since she’s feeling numb she lost her feelings with me too. My friends told me to just leave her and since I feel like that’s what she wanted too then I actually let her be. But I was really devastated.

After a month of no contact on Feb 16, she texted me and said “I miss talking to you, so if ever there is a chance of being friends in the future I’m open” I admit I was happy reading that because I’m still in love with her. But since she’s the one who came up to me first I feel like I have the right to establish my rules. I told her that I will continue talking to her but in return I’m gonna ask her to update me if she’s going out and with who, text me good morning and good night. That’s only it. Those are our old routine anyway. But those updates became the reason why we broke up again coz she eventually doesn’t want to do it anymore. Our communication only lasted for 2 weeks. Am I asking too much? Am I clingy? Isn’t that a part of LDR? Because I get worried if she’s out with friends. I feel like she wants to label us as friends so she’s not oblige to explain and update me. So nothing was settled. She wants friends and I want relationship.

My gf is not a normal chick. She has personal issues. She’s mentally unstable. She is paranoid, has trust issue, she gets anxious surrounded my too many people. It’s so hard to deal with her actually that until now she didn’t even have any friends even just one. Oh that was me. Anyway, I do believe her behavior right now has an effect from her drug addiction when she was in high school and for not being open with her family about her being gay.

Until now she is still unhappy, empty, and numb. I do feel like she wants my company as my friend because I know her really well and I tried my best to understand her behavior. She’s not the expressive type either but I made an effort to get to know her really well. She actually told me that I balance her and keep her sane. But in my part, its always about her I also has a need! I feel like I’m not getting enough love from her ever since she started falling out of love.

I actually accepted that she lose her interest to me coz I know its her condition that triggers it. But I believe loving someone again is a decision but I’m not seeing her sincerity to regain it again. Is there a hope that she might still love me? Do you guys think since I understand her condition, I should stay by her side even without the update?

Now here’s what I wanna do.

Allow the friendship and stay by her side. And since we are LDR. I’m going to get an apartment near her place. I kinda wanna try a different set up to our relationship.

OR

Just move on with my life and forget her?

Your response will be deeply appreciated. Our latest break up is last week, she blocked me btw on Instagram and Facebook.

Thank you very much.

J

2. idefygravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm going to try to respond as I read through this, so hopefully it all makes sense.

I don't think that you are being clingy, but you clearly do want different things. Like you said, she wants to be friends, but you want more. I get from my own experience that long distance is incredibly hard- especially when you really never get to see the other person. However, if she said in the beginning that she was open to being friends, I don't think that really constitutes as a long distance relationship at that point. And with that, rules aren't really necessary. If you establish that you're dating, then it would be nice to let her know that those things are important to you. I don't know the two of you personally, so it's hard to say if she's wanting to be friends just so she doesn't have to make as much of an effort.

I get that you really care about her, but it seems like this relationship is definitely not healthy on both of your ends- regardless of her past. If being just friends isn't enough or possible, then I would give it some space and distance as a whole.

If you really want this relationship, and have BOTH stated that you are in a LDR, has she stated that she wants to also date other people? That part is what's really unclear to me.
    I hate to be pessimistic and I can't be a final judgement or opinion on this because I don't know your relationship, but it doesn't seem like something that can work out.

3. Bagpuss

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    First of all, I want to assure you that there are no "normal" people out there. Everyone has their issues. You just don't know about them.

You have the choice between moving on -to something unknown- or get back with your past and wanting to fix what you think is fixable.

You do talk about a lot of cons. The only pro would be that you are still in love and that you care for her. In fact, you may already know that being with her would be the worse option but you seek for a reason that it makes it okay. (I'm talking like this because I was in a similiar situation with my ex-gf)
    You will never forget her. You may not think about her but she will still always be a part of you.

I think if it's okay for you that you spend your life caring for someone instead of caring for yourself, you should go for it with all your might. Just to maybe find out later that it wasn't worth it. But then you at least know. Right now you are unsure what would be right or what would be the wrong decision. Some people don't need to expierence hardships to learn and some do (I belong to the second).
    (I'm saying "you caring for someone instead of caring for yourself" because you said it would be okay if your needs are not met. But I think even though people say selfishness is not ok, you have to put yourself first because no one else will and that will destroy you.)

Whichever kind of life you want to lead and have, it depends on you going back or going forward.

I wish you the best of luck and insight in what you want for your life. And if you want her and nothing more (which means accepting her the way she is without wanting to "fix" her) then do it. If you want something more for your life or hope that she will change for you, then please don't.

4. janejones

Thank you very much for your response idefygravity.

I do think she only wants to have friends right now because her mind is messed up. After our fight last week I signed up for ******* just to check if she’s there. And I am right, she is there, even though she didn’t post her picture I knew it was her. It says on her profile. “looking to make new friends or lady gay friends” Because I cannot give the friendship she was asking so she is finding it to other people. And if she wants to date other people it will be obvious to her profile, like she will post her nice pictures and would put effort to describe herself to attract other people. But what it only says there is "Looking to have friends" "Or if you're bored and wants lady friends"

I'm really worried about her. :/

---------- Post added 8th Mar 2017 at 02:18 PM ----------

@Bagpuss

But do you think people like that change eventually? Coz what if her personal issues to herself are only temporary. So by the time she got better, and I stayed with her all throughout even during her rough time. Do you think her feelings will get back?

Based from your experienced why do you think people like that wont help themselves? Its like they purposely want to stay in a dark side and embrace the sadness. If she really wants my company, she should also try to consider my needs.

And yes youre right, I care for her and I still love her thats why I am considering the friendship she was asking and to get an apartment near her place so I can check on her.

Thank you for your response.

5. Bagpuss

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't know what kind of mental issues she has or what happened to her that made her that way. Even if she will grow and overcomes her issues it won't mean that she will love you again. Maybe she will be a different person then that doesn't see anything in you anymore.

The one thing I learned about this was that there are people who have boots to walk the walk and others simply don't. This was frustrating but nothing I can change about it. If you really want to stay friends you need a different mindset. It won't work when you expect something back from her. You will only hurt yourself and her, too.

Maybe she wants to go a different path and you should watch her silently in her growth if you truly care for her. (I don't know if I could do that, though)

If you want to stay because you care for her, stay. If you want to stay because you want her to love you back, don't. It rarely works out like that. But there are always exceptions and you won't really know until you tried. I just want to keep you from any further hurt and harm. For the both of you. But sometimes it's neccessary and unevitable.

That's just what I think and a very biased opinion.

Unless she has suicidal thoughts that are to be taken seriously, she will make it out alive without you. You just need to trust in her.

6. janejones

"If you really want to stay friends you need a different mindset. It won't work when you expect something back from her. You will only hurt yourself and her, too."

That hit me hard! I guess that's the answer and I don't know if I can do that. Because I believed it isn't a healthy relationship if there's only one person who do the work.

Thank you very much for your advice. As for now, I don't see any plans to contact her. I will just let her be and I'll focus to myself :slight_smile:

7. Lazuri

No, that's wrong. Both in friendships and relationships, you can't have one part do it all. One thing that commonly occurs in relationships is that you have one empath and one narcissist who feeds off the empath because they're so easy to manipulate. The narcissist doesn't always understand what they're doing, but they're hurting their partner in the end.

Love, true love, isn't this ridiculous struggle to get your will through and be the dominant part that almost all of today's relationships are. True love is about dedicating your life to another person completely and they in turn dedicating their life to you. Express your emotions clearly, hold nothing back and let them feed off of your emotions and have them do the same thing back. This is the secret to having a relationship where even after 20 years, watching her smile still makes your heart skip a beat. But if only one part of the relationship does this, it becomes dangerous as the other part almost always ends up taking advantage.

8. seeking

This to me is weird. If she is just a friend she doesn't owe you a good morning or good night. She doesn't owe you the right to know who she is going out with. I never had a friend pressure me asking who I was with and why or whatever.

On the other hand I understand from what I read she has done some things in the past that can threaten her well being. But it's really the responsibility of her family, herself, and whatever medical care she is being provided. It's not bad when a friend offer helps and watches her back, but you live far apart and it's pretty unreasonable to take this on.

Like others have said you made it clear you want more than friendship and she made it clear she just wants a friendship. In her defense she can date and hook up with anyone because she made it clear what she wants from you.

This is odd to me too. You are letting her presence and your hopes of something more dictate your behavior. If you want to move to her town/city that should be because there is a great job or something beneficial to you. You shouldn't be moving to her town to be closer to her when you two are just friends. I wouldn't characterize this as a LDR...this is a common set up of a friendship. I've had friends that moved to other cities for career and friendship. But, I didn't move to be with them because I have my own professional and personal goals.

I may sound harsh. But, I do think your emotions for her are clouding your judgement. If she is really just a friend and you respect her decision to wanting to just be friends. Then it should be pretty laid back. You shouldn't be setting rules especially rules where she has to tell you who she is hanging with in addition rules of her having to message you in the morning and at night.

If you two do get back together &it is a stable situation then discuss it with her about moving to her town/city so this relationship can grow more. But, I wouldn't pack up and move to a city in the hopes that a different structure will end up with you two becoming something serious. You need to focus on yourself and let this friendship develop naturally.

I agree with Lazuri... make it clear how you feel about her and your hopes for the future. If she isn't going to return the feelings and play an equal role in the relationship. It is definitely not a healthy situation.

9. janejones

UPDATE: My ex is a narcissist! Thank you @Lazuri for mentioning empath and narcissist on your comment. Coz I researched about it on the web and the results are mind blowing for me!

We talked again by the end of March, she still asking me to be her friend. I didn’t agree because I cannot do it coz I still love her! So nothing settled again. Few days after I find out that she’s seeing someone new now! It crushed my heart when I found out about it even until now when I see their photos on the internet. It states on her dating site that she is only looking for “friends” which I think its not friendship coz the girl keeps coming to her town every weekend.

All throughout our relationship is always about her happiness.

She said she fall out of love to me since last November. But my stupid self still sticks with her and trying my best to understand her. Then when January came she disappeared and appeared to me again on Feb and also end of March coz she’s lonely and haven’t found someone interesting in a dating site. Since January, she is addicted to weight lifting. The girl she is dating right now is a weight lifter. I feel like she is using the girl so she can gain knowledge about weight lifting and for her distraction. I can see myself to the girl honestly.

I thought the reason she keeps coming back to my company is because I am special to her coz I deeply understand her, but the truth is she just lonely and haven’t found her new supply. It’s so easy for her to replace me. ☹

I’m so broken right now, she made me believed that I am different from all her exes. Her two exes end up cheating on her, so I gave her all the love she deserves and treated her special. I adjusted on her mood swings, accepted her vices, I am her listener, and supported her.

Like every month I drive 7-8hrs just to see her, I gave her gifts, and showed her that love is good! Even though I didn’t get the same effort I put it was still okay for me, because I believe love is selfless. Now I feel angry and broken, but honestly I still love her. My heart is always heavy and it gets heavier everytime I’m having dreams about her. I needed to move on! Its so hard. I will even have a vacation in San Francisco for a few months just to forget about her, hopefully by the time I came back I am healed and a new person. I’ll make sure she will regret leaving me!

I just want to give love and receive love. Is that too much? I guess I just met the wrong person for me.

Thanks for reading guys and for those who replied on my posts.