1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating an older guy?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Acidic, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Acidic

So first off when I say older he's 38 I'm 18. Quite the age gap I know. For some reason I'm afraid to continue this relationship even though I'm extremely happy when I'm with him. He gives me this immense secure feeling, I feel safe when I'm with him. But I'm afraid of my family and friends finding out. I don't want me being self conscious of an age number to get in the way of me being happy.. thoughts?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC.

This isn't a simple discussion. :slight_smile:

First, almost without exception, an age gap this large, where this person is old enough to be your father, is almost never emotionally healthy. There are plenty of gay men (and, for that matter, straight couples) in such relationships, but that doesn't mean they're healthy.

In your case, one of the concerns I have is the use of the words "secure" and "safe." In this context, that's typically not the first words someone in a healthy, balanced relationship would likely use to describe the relationship. It could indicate that he is in more of a caretaking/fatherly role than in a the typical healthy dynamic you'd see with people more evenly balanced.

The problem with these relationships is that they are almost always grossly imbalanced. The older person has more life experience, money, job security, and the younger person is essentially just barely an adult. This creates a very dramatic power imbalance, which almost always leads to control issues, either caretaking or manipulation. Very often, the younger people in these roles are people who had either no father figure or a distant or unhealthy relationship. If this is the case for you, then you are likely projecting the desire for a father onto this person who is supposed to be your boyfriend/spouse/equal. Not generally a healthy dynamic.

Additionally, an emotionally healthy 38 year old would not be seeking a relationship with someone young enough to be his son, for basically the same reasons as above.

So I hate to burst your bubble, but most likely what's going on here isn't nearly as emotionally healthy and happy as it might look at first glance.

One other issue, since you've brought it up: Yes, family members and others will look on this relationship judgmentally. Among those who do manage to make these relationships work (probably less than 1 in 1000 that are healthy and actually work in the long run), they are able to simply let go of the judgments that others hold.

The fact that you're hiding this relationship from your family and friends is, itself a serious problem. It is creating shame for you, because you fear their judgment. And it is also possible that, deep down, you are with this person because, at some level, you don't feel that you are deserving of someone who is around your own age and emotionally healthy.

I don't intend for any of the above to be hurtful or harsh; I do understand that this feels good to you right now. So I can't tell you not to do it; what I can do is suggest that you think about all of the above, explore your innermost feelings, keep your eyes out for indications of codependence, caretaking, power and control behaviors, and think about how the shame of being "in the closet" about this relationship is affecting you... and then decide what's most important to you.

I do encourage you to continue talking about what you're feeling, how the relationship is going, and what your concerns are. Sharing your feelings and getting input from others is the best way to get a clear picture of the situation for yourself.

Ruby Dragon and PatrickUK like this.
  3. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've dated a bunch of older dudes.

What I've found is that they're just way ahead of me in life (money, experience, basically what Chip is saying). They've got a home, stable job, etc. I don't have that yet.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but I've found much more satisfaction dating someone my age group (my bf is a year older than me). We grew up in the same generation, are still in school, similar group of friends, etc. With someone your age group, you can learn to grown together and help each other, whereas in an age gap the differences are too large.

I think Chip has seen enough of age gap relationships to know how they turn out, I know I certainly have.

4. Acidic

i apologize I should've explained the situation more. He's already mentioned, because I'm a younger guy he understands my feelings may change through time and he's okay with that. He does not try to act like a "father figure" in anyway. Surprisingly we actually have a lot in common. You also mentioned how an "emotionally healthy" 38 year old wouldn't be seeking a younger guy like me. Whys that? As long as everything is consensual what's the big deal? I get a age gap like this can create questions about the older guy, but we truly do have a connection. He's in no way controlling and is totally accepting to my ever changing teenage emotions.

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An older guy that has low self esteem, lacks confidence and has not managed shame may feel he has more authority and control over younger individuals (even if that such authority and control is not overt). Given the lack of emotional maturity of younger individuals, it is easier for an older person to feel more confident albeit such confidence might be misguided.

The older individual might use his position of authority to subject the younger individual to being controlled, even if unintentional. Whether it comes to making simple every day decisions (what to wear, what to eat, how to act), or to more fundamental life decisions (how to manage money, whatbto spend money on, how to save, decisions on a job, etc). These decisions may tend to be more imbalanced yielding to the older individual in the relationship.

So, if an older individual has more life experience while at the same time is emotionally immature due to low self esteem and low confidence and such person enters a relationship with a younger individual, the younger individual might be headed for a more difficult time in such a relationship compared to one where the life experiences and maturities are more balanced.

#5 OnTheHighway, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  6. Acidic

He definitely doesn't have low self esteem, if anything he's the one that constantly gives me compliments.

7. Victas

I have to agree with Chip and Jax12 for this for the same reasons, especially for the control behaviors stuff because it doesn't seem to be, but it's very easy to act like that. To me, it's a bit too much old, I think 30 would be the highest acceptable age for a 18 years old guy like you for the reasons above (Chip and Jax).

8. Acidic

But I've already mentioned, he isn't controlling. He's accepting of my feelings possibly changing. Right now we're just seeing where it goes, if it doesn't work out it's whatever. If it does great.

9. CameOutSwinging

How long have you known each other? How long have you been dating? How did you meet? What is it about your family and friend's potential reaction that you fear?

I don't think we accomplish anything by trying to convince you that he's controlling you somehow, especially when you say that you don't feel he is. That would be assuming too much negative about him and assuming unfairly about you as well.

But let's get to the heart of this. I think you came here hoping people would say there's nothing wrong with the age gap and that if he makes you happy then you should just date him. But what does it accomplish if anyone here says that? Would you not still be in the same position feeling shame about revealing the relationship to your family and friends?

There's a part of you that feels like there's something to be ashamed of in this relationship...why is that?

10. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My first boyfriend was 38 years old and I had just turned 20 when we became a couple. He did not look his age at all and initially the relationship was good. I learned a lot from him and never paid attention to the fact that he was much older than myself. After the relationship ended five years later...I noticed that every boyfriend I had in my life after him was always older than myself. In all honesty, I've learned a lot from being with an older guy in so many ways that were very beneficial to this day.

11. Zephyr1991

I feel there's a little bit of not necessarily judgement going on in here, but I'm a 26 year old and I recently married my boyfriend of nearly 3 years. He's 52 years old, and I love him with all my heart.

Is he more financially secure than me? Sure. But that has never affected our relationship. I've always found myself attracted to older men for their emotional maturity.

I think bunching older men who like younger men together and maybe visa versa as mentally unheathy is a nearly painfully ignorant generalization, and one that I actively resent. I've watched straight and gay friends tear one another apart, and watched their relationships crash and burn over relatively minor things that my husband and I have powered through or not encountered at all.

Maybe it's that I myself am not mentally healthy due to some very traumatic events in my youth, events I am very grateful for my husband's tireless understanding of, but I love him, and he loves me. And that is enough for me. He helps my self confidence immensely, and we share more similarities than I can count. I honestly could rattle on for hours, but I think I've made my point.

Follow your heart, Acidic, and if your heart leads you to an older man, rock on and stay awesome!~

12. Acidic

Zephyr1991 thank you. Your story is pretty inspirational. I too had "bad situations" happen to me when I was younger. To this day I've struggled with my sexuality because of it. Not just with being gay or straight but being "sexual" in general. I'm scared of not having control over what's happening. Most of my relationships have ended because I get so confused, both with guys and girls. It's strange though even though our age gap should scare me it doesn't. We seriously have a lot in common, and we truly are interested in
    Getting to know eacother. Thank you everyone for your honest opinions. It's good to hear other people's point of view. But I can assure all of you, I'm content.

13. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the thing. You're 26, and OP is 18. You mature quite a bit within those 8 years (When I look back to when I was 17, I've definitely seen a change in attitude and maturity). In addition, your partner is 14 years older than OP's. I've found that age gaps matter less as the people get older and mature.

I am certainly not trying to judge at all, but I've been there and dated older guys. Hell, even now I still find older guys attractive, I just have to be mindful about the age difference if I were to be in a relationship with one. If I find someone attractive, and we have many things in common, I will admit I will want to start dating him.

Oh definitely, that's why I said it's fine if you two like where you are right now. I wouldn't give it up either if I were you. But you're asking what we think about dating an older guy. I personally haven't had very much success with seeing guys 10+ than me, but on the other hand, my therapist's husband is 10 years older than her. She's 30, he's 40.

You'll hear many people saying "If it's two consenting adults then it's fine". If you look at it black and white then sure. But what do you define as adult? 18? 25? Do they have a stable job? What about their own place to live? Do they know what they want in life? Etc.

Good luck dude, if you're happy where you are right now then I see no reason for you to continue the relationship. Cheers!

#13 Jax12, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  14. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To add to this, the last 'growth spurt' of the brain ends when you're about 25, so the brain still has a lot of maturing to do when you're 18. The psychology professors I took classes with pretty much mirrored the same information that this article says:

#14 BobObob, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  15. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, good to know your psychoanalytical skills are honed in so well you believe compliments equate to confidence.....:bang:

Control is not an overt concept. It is often quite subtle and even subconscious.

And if your being swept off your feet by him simply because your getting complimented, then maybe there are some things you need to further think about relating to yourself.

Finally, if your just looking to justify for yourself the relationship, then are you really interested in peoples experienced and thoughtful answers?

#15 OnTheHighway, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OnTheHighway is exactly on the mark here. Someone who is constantly complimenting you is doing so because he doesn't believe that he deserves you, and so he's essentially constantly doing things that he thinks will please you so you'll stay with him.

One pattern I'm seeing in all of your responses: You're essentially rejecting all of the input you're getting that tells you what the potentially problematic issues are, and insisting that none of them apply, or the ones that do don't matter. So in that way, it sounds like you've already made your mind up.

Assuming that's the case, I have to ask what the purpose of making the thread in the first place was? You've already made it clear that you have severe shame about the issue, as you're concerned about your family and others judging you. So clearly there's a problem there that you recognize within yourself... you are very concerned about the judgment of others.

I don't think the outlier in this group, who says he's attracted to older people "due to emotional maturity" is useful to this conversation. Without getting into details of his relationship and his own experiences, we can't really know how healthy or unhealthy that relationship actually is. (People tend to be completely blind to their own wounds and unconscious behaviors.) And I can't tell you how many times I've heard the "I like older guys because of their emotional maturity" line and, over time, a very different motivation, that's far less healthy, plays out. I can't say that's the case for this particular relationship, but if it isn't, I'd be very surprised.

What I can say about your (OP) situation, with a pretty strong base of experience not only from 8+ years on EC, but from looking at studies of long-term LGBT relationships, and real-life experience with people I've known, is that emotionally healthy relationships where there's a large age gap are exceptionally rare. In this case, it's already sounding like there are elements here that aren't healthy.

Whether you choose to actually take the advice you (seemingly) genuinely asked for is entirely your choice. But asking for the advice, and then arguing with what nearly everyone is telling you, isn't very productive.

17. Acidic

I apologize haha, schools time consuming. I am accepting of others thoughts that's the point of the thread. I was just scared of telling my family and friends.

18. CameOutSwinging

But why are you scared?

Spell it out. You'll have your answer to whether or not you think you should continue this relationship right there.

19. Acidic

Lmfao this thread is fricked up

20. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    you do not love someone due to their age

you love they for who they are

go with your heart young man