1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heavy full-on make up on men

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by andimon, Mar 4, 2017.

1. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To just cut to the chase, I think exaggerated make-up on manly men looks quite unflattering. Especially so when it comes to guys with very chiseled features, or facial hair.

[​IMG]

as opposed to hairless, rather feminine looking guys, where it looks kinda bomb:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

My question is, is it only me that thinks this?
    Also, may this have to do with an ingrained sense of gender roles and heteronormativity, where make-up would only suit femininity and submissiveness?

2. MisterMissy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. You're not the only one.
    Funny thing is, I don't know where my face falls on the chiseled vs soft scale, but I do intend to keep my facial hair even with makeup on, because I look good with the hair, and I'd hate to keep shaving it off every time I want to put makeup on. It's just easier to do both, and for me, my style of facial hair when trimmed doesn't seem all that bad.

It's a "your results may vary" kind of thing. But you're right, the more fair and feminine looking androgynous dudes pull off makeup far better than your typical male, even if they have a slender face and build.

The thing to remember is, they're not doing it to make everyone happy, they're doing it to make themselves happy, and to look attractive to certain men who like the way they look.

#2 MisterMissy, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2017
  3. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't care for it either. A lot of those wear makeup that is meant for women or drag queens. It just doesn't quite look right with male features. Especially if they have a beard, masculine features, have a male haircuts and wear completely male clothes. If they look over all androgynous like Jeffree Star, I think it looks good. There's also ways of wearing makeup that look masculine/meterosexual that won't look weird with more masculine looks.
    [​IMG]
    PS: I don't think orange contours look good on anyone.

#3 Tre, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  4. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Honestly, I think it looks good in any way. It's not really something I'm attracted to, but from an aesthetics position, I love it.

5. Jerry81

I don't mind makeup, but I think these still look good. I think they would look much much better if it wasn't so heavy. But that's my opinion

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like with anyone, the "best makeup" for a guy is what looks best on him. Similar to a good haircut, this would by definition mean something that flatters his natural appearance. In this regard, hell yes guys are hot in makeup.

I mean, nobody ever gets onto actors for wearing makeup and (very often) eyeliner. And if a guy wants to go for a heavier or more typically feminine makeup look, that is his prerogative. I think it's nice.

#6 Kodo, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  7. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, the thing is, it looks bad enough on women. It looks even worse on men.

The thing is, I have no problem with men wearing make up, but they should do it right, or they will look stupid.

Women wear make up to exaggerate or compliment their features. Men have different kinds of faces from women. So men need to come up with techniques that work on them, instead of using techniques that were meant for women's faces. I mean, it's different if you are trying to dress like a woman(like in drag, cosplay, whatever), but sometimes men dress like men and wear make up of a woman and they look even more stupid than the women who wear the ridiculous make up.

8. MisterMissy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can agree with this.
    I wouldn't call certain men who don't look best in makeup ridiculous or stupid, but there is a line. And I also think there is something to be argued with how we approach makeup application as men, because our faces are structurally different. Therefore, the techniques we use, the heaviness of the makeup, the types of colors or shades we utilize, should work to compliment a man's face to bring out his natural handsomeness rather than enhance in an artificial sort of way. Cause often times, women's makeup doesn't seem artificial. If you do it in moderation, it does it's job beautifully. And the same ought to be possible for the guys as well.

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The first example weirds me out, but that's because I'm not used to seeing it. Like on Jeffree Star, there is no greater turn on. He's an inspiration and attractive.

10. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    feminine I agree. I once saw this guy wear heavy orange/brown eyeshadow. I don't think orange/brown eyeshadow looks flattering on most girls. It looks even worse on guys. It's just so jarring. Especially when their makeup style doesn't match their haircut or clothing. I agree they should come up with techniques that flatter their faces more. They can still express their effeminate side if they want.

But I think the same about girls as well. A lot of girls with that style of makeup don't wear flattering colors or styles. I do some "Instagram" style makeup, but I find ways to make it less heavy/artificial. Since Instagram makeup is based on drag techniques it tends to make girl's faces look artificially feminine. I'm happy with how feminine/masculine my face is. I wouldn't want it to look more feminine or masculine than it naturally is.

11. musicboy123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Everyone has their own preferences, as I think make-up can go well on a more feminine looking guy along with a more masculine looking guy, as long as they have the right make-up on. For example, I don't find lipstick with a beard all that cute, but eyeshadow and eyeliner with a beard can still look very well if the colour is right.

#11 musicboy123, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  12. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think heavy make-up suits anyone, male or female. A little bit can be nice, but if you look like a clown, then no, I don't find it attractive.

However, I'm mostly attracted to masculinity, so what do I know?

13. eMei

I don't mind it. It's not for me to get.

14. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think heavy make-up looks good on anyone, women included. It just looks awkward and unflattering to me. I think light/natural makeup could work on all genders, as it just tries to cover up flaws and enhances features.

15. seeking

I think it's attractive.

But, I have seen straight and non-straight men wear make-up. I think it's actually cool. It definitely shows confidence that I probably lack.

I feel all that make-up negatively affects the skin and the smell of it...seems uncomfortable for the person wearing it.

16. clocky

I like the feminine guys a little better, but makeup on any guy as long as it's their color and it's not badly done is awesome!

17. Blackrainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. You do you. Whether or not I think make up looks good on men, it's not my business to tell them what to do. I know I don't like it when other people criticise my make up or fashion choices, and I imagine someone who's already going against social expectation and probably being harassed for something as innocuous as wearing eyeliner likes it even less.

18. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    wow these spoilered guys are so cute. *o*

I'm not really sure about it. I do wear make up (only eyes, though, because I don't like the feeling of having anything applied to my lips). I also have rather little of facial hair, in fact, a bit too little for my age. some more openminded people say that eye make up suits me perfectly well, and I'm quite curious of how would I look like if I had more facial hair then. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I do agree with some posts above, though. you are free to do whatever you want and Wear whatever you want.

#18 Mahidevran, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017