1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice Deepening Techniques for guys not yet on T?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SAYGEUR, Mar 4, 2017.

1. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey,

Was just wondering if any guys have any tips for achieving a deeper voice, I haven't fully come out yet, but my voice has been something that has been on my mind a lot lately, and I don't really know what to do.

I talk down in my chest a lot, however it sounds like I have a cold most of the time according to others, that's about all I do at the moment, is there something else I should be doing??

Thanks mates!

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are some vocal training exercises out there, but if you aren't careful, you can damage your vocal cords.

3. MisterMissy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's see. I should have some input on this because I've trained myself for years to create female voices. But I also have my natural deep voice because I started trying to sound more manly at a very very young age.

You have to sort of open up the back of your throat more, so that the full range of deeper vibrations from your chest can come through, otherwise your chest voice will sound flat. So you have to relax your palette I think they call it.

Don't forget that there's also a psychological way in which men choose to speak that is different than women, in a general sense. Word choice is different. Emotional expressiveness is different, men tend to be more reserved. Pronunciation may even be different. And these things may come naturally to someone who is FTM, but they're things to consider if not, because affecting any voice is more than just the tone, it's also the speech patterns and the attitude.

A good example of a lack of these additonal attributes is Disney's Mulan. She put on the costume, and she put on the deeper voice, but she tried too hard to be gung no and expressive, when most men in that training camp were more reserved and subtle in the way they would have spoken.

But, then again, this all depends on what kind of personality you have. Cause you don't want to go more male but then less outgoing in the process. These are all just aspects to consider.

#3 MisterMissy, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2017
  4. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Id just find those online? Ill take a bigger look around then, thank you for the response!

Ill try to open m throat more when talking, will have to put some practice in for that.

I have been seeing the differences between how women and men speak differently, I previously found myself having to try and put in more female mannerisms at school a lot to fit in, though Im now starting to use a lot less of them as its just super uncomfortable and it becomes hard to keep up. I think im slightly outgoing still, but nowhere near as much as I used to make myself.

Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it