1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out issues

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thinkanddream, Mar 2, 2017.

1. thinkanddream

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So I was crying and tell my parents how messed up I feel right now and how I'm really struggling with my anxiety and depression, and then I came out to them.
    And it doesn't feel real. I told them that I'm trying to figure out what I am, which is technically true but I was/am reasonably sure I'm gay or bi with a preference for women. I also told them I'm still questioning and I'm not interested in relationships right now because of the pre-mentioned serious mental health issues (which aren't helping).
    But I still feel like my life has been thrown upside down.
    They were super supportive for the most part (my father was sooo good and awesome about it but my mother was saying I need to experience a relationship with both a man and a woman before I can identify myself, which kinda made me feel a bit invalidated, but that was to be expected of her) but I just feel strange. I feel like nothing has changed to be honest.
    I still don't feel comfortable talking to them about relationships, feelings or even saying that Tegan and Sara are gay. To be honest, I don't even want to mention it again. I don't feel liberated or accept myself more. It's almost like I'm still in the closet, but telling them has made me question my sexuality even more.
    Has anybody else felt like this?

2. Anne10

I feel like I'm in a similar boat as you are. I've only told two close friends of mine, over text, and they both seemed at minimum OK with it (one was much nicer than the other), but now it feels off. Like, every since I told them I've wondered even more so if I actually do feel attracted to women in a way that would make me queer or not. It's probably part of the reason I have yet to come out to anyone else. I wish I had better advice, but I'm still figuring it all out myself.
    As for your mom saying you need to have a relationship with a man to really decide, to me that just sounds like she's ignorant and uninformed. It would be equal to you telling her she needed to have a relationship with a woman to make sure she wasn't attracted to women.
    I'll tell you what I've been told, when you know you know-and when you don't, that's okay too! I think a lot of our apprehension is because of the stigma society puts on the LGBTQIA+ community.
    I wish I could be more helpful! Hopefully someone with better advice will come along soon.