1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make it known you're bi?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Mihael, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As in the title? Is there a way to make yourself visible as a bisexual woman, yet not have a crowd of angry homophobes be after you? I mean, signalling that you're available to other women, but not declaring yourself as lesbian. I would feel dishonest.

2. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a great question. I've wondered this as well from the male standpoint. Not that I'm looking but just how do bisexuals navigate into different relationships? I imagine you just have to be smart and pick the right moments.

3. ligunn

I would like to know an answer to this as well! :smilewave

4. Winter Storm

You can buy bracelets or whatever with the bisexual colours on it. But I honestly have no idea if people actually do this. IDK.

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really see people wear the bisexual flag bracelets. I think I've seen the rainbow bracelets here and there. I imagine it would mean more "queer" (whatever it means to the wearer) then "bi". Do you know where to get such bracelets or do you have to make them on your own?

#5 Mihael, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  6. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How about custom t-shirts with various subtle phrases like
    "I'm totally bi dude!"
    "What has 2 thumbs and is bisexual? This gal/guy!"
    "Bi Bi Bi"
    "Guess what? That's what! and also, I'm bi."

7. Cinis

Cinis Guest

If I'm talking about relationships, crushes, etc. with other people I usually just casually mention that I'm bi. Another method is simply flirting with someone in a non-sexual way, it doesn't immediately label you as gay because people usually just assume it's friendly or joking but it can be a good method of testing the waters. ( It also signals that you're potentially interested to a person of either gender if they're interested in you. Usually people just overlook it as "friendly" but a person who's potentially interested usually views it as a "hope" of interest from you)

I'm not sure if that helps you at all because I usually just come out since I'm not that afraid of homophobic people around here, at least if one is careful. Of course there are people who aren't openly homophobic but those usually just gossip behind your back. So...not sure if it's any help in your area.

8. DrummerGirl2000

Do the same things as if you were trying to show a male you were attracted to him; smile, prolonged eye contact, etc. I think it's more of an individual basis than wearing something declaring you're sexuality. Gay/bi people have gaydar that others don't pick up on and chances are if you're into a girl (who's also into girls) and you just drop a subtle hint that you're interested, they will probably notice. I've done this accidentally a few times actually, naturally I smiled and held eye contact and was sort of staring at them because they were beautiful, and they soon returned the same behaviors and although nothing was stated, it was KNOWN that we found each other attractive.

9. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So long, ugh, I missed replies... better late than never though.

Thank you for replies. Just flirting and maybe mentioning casually the orientation is acually a very good idea.

10. LadyTalulah

I have a pride flag phone cover and laptop sticker as most recently-out LGBT university students do.

However, I think that people just assume that I'm lesbian from that (thanks, bi-erasure..). Not that I really mind, I've been more interested in women lately anyway, and even if there are men I like, I will easily make it known.

Otherwise, you can casually bring it up in conversation when it's fitting. I recently realized how much we talk about sexual desires and past relationships in everyday conversations, so opportunity is rarely lacking.

Personally, I've found most people to be pretty nonchalant about it, which is a relief. I thought coming out would entail answering a lengthy interrogation regarding my sexual history and preferences to every person I told - which made me nervous. Turns out most people respond with "Wait - so you like both? Huh. Alright, cool." and move on :slight_smile:

11. Mariana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've tried to find an answer to this question in my own life and I'm not 100% there yet, but I'm working on it :grin:

I guess I do a mix of the things people have mentioned here before. In conversations about hot actors etc. I might just drop a female name or agree with someone who said that they think a certain woman is attractive.
    I also have a necklace with the 'female' symbol (you know, the venus symbol) that I like to wear (I guess it can just stand for feminism, but that's fine with me too).

I've thought about wearing something with the bi colours on it to make it more clear, but I've decided against it because I don't want everyone to know. That's just my personal decision, though, and I love seeing other people wearing pride jewellery/t-shirts/...