1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as trans to my girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by matt4907, Feb 28, 2017.

1. matt4907

matt4907 Guest

I'm out to everyone as a cis lesbian but I recently came out to some people as a trans guy. I want to tell my girlfriend about this as soon as possible before she finds out from someone else. I'm not worried about this affecting our relationship but I just don't know how to go about telling her. Any advice?

2. Jerry81

Personally, I would just be honest and tell her. I was on the receiving end of your situation.

I'm in a similar boat with my girlfriend. shes female, but feels more male and has said she is dysphoric. It was a little bit of a shock at first, but I suspected "something" but I like how she told me and was honest with me. I would have been pretty upset if I found out through someone else, and it probably would have ended our relationship because of a trust issue.

As far as how it happened, we were just talking about useless dumb crap like we usually do. I already knew she has depressed, anxiety, etc and indirectly mentioned she was bi in the past. During our conversation she looked at me and told me she wasn't happy and that she couldn't "do this anymore". She has had a history of suicide attempts and thought it was that. "What do you mean 'do this anymore'". She replied that she is "living a lie" and "wants to be a man". She was already hugely tomboyish and always was in school according to her and her mom.

It started as a normal conversation about what was going on in the world. Wasn't a fancy or "we need to talk" moment (she finds "we need to talk" highly stressful and can trigger a panic attack for her).

Good luck! :slight_smile: