1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge or Raleigh (US)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by yuanzi, Feb 28, 2017.

1. yuanzi

To those who have any experience (anecdotes are fine too) with either or both these cities, could you kindly give me your opinions on the lgbt culture in Cambridge (Boston area) and/or Raleigh (NC)?

Back story: I have the opportunity to relocate to one of these two cities very soon (my job starts in late July, hopefully!) and the company is presenting me with these two options. Personally I am a little scared to go very south (I am a foreigner and have only lived in relatively liberal states in the US) but I still want to know others' opinions on this.

Of course I will take potential career development into consideration as well and I plan to talk to my HR contact regarding the professional side of the issue but I have to make up my mind on the personal side.

Any info is very much appreciated. Thanks!

#1 yuanzi, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The odds are that Cambridge would be more comfortable. I mean, who knows, it could be that THE ONE of your life, or just a whole lot of fantastic people, are right down there in North Carolina, waiting to meet you. But based on overall situation? Cambridge would be one of the best choices, and Raleigh one of the worst. My two-cents worth.

3. yuanzi

Thanks beenthrdonetht. Yeah that's what I was afraid of (that Cambridge would be so much more lgbt friendly than Raleigh that it is not even a question which one to choose when it comes to lgbt environment).

Because then if the career prospect seems better in Raleigh, I would have a hard time deciding which one to choose...

But anyway thanks!

4. basicavocados

I have been living in a city nearby Raleigh since the end of May and what I've experienced is Raleigh and the surrounding area is very lgbt-friendly (with Durham/Chapel Hill a little more so). Cambridge would probably have a bigger population of people who are LGBTQ+. I can definitely say Raleigh wouldn't be one of the worst (Rural North Carolina is kind of terrifying and full of conservative rednecks) however, Cambridge may very well be a lot better depending on what you're looking for.

5. matt4907

matt4907 Guest

I used to go to school in Cambridge and there's definitely a large LGBT population there. I felt really comfortable there for the most part. There are a lot of really cool LGBT-friendly spaces in Cambridge and in Boston.

6. yuanzi

Thanks avocados and sam. I guess it makes sense that Cambridge/Boston area is very accepting (with all the large universities and various research institutions it is hard to imagine it to be otherwise).

I am still cautiously optimistic about Raleigh though. I know a few people who went to Duke so maybe I should talk to them too (however I doubt they know anything lgbt related).

Hopefully my recruiter will get back to me on the projects etc so I can make a final decision.

7. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes maybe I was a little too quick on the draw. Rural NC.. I wouldn't recommend it. College atmosphere... improves a lot of things.

8. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been to Boston, and though I haven't been to Raleigh I've been elsewhere in North Carolina - and although I love both places, I might actually suggest Raleigh.

My reasons: Raleigh, and Durham/Chapel Hill (collectively known as The Research Triangle or just the Triangle), has had a very large influx of skilled/technical labor over the last several years, meaning that there's a lot of money and opportunity in the area, as well as a lot of transplants, meaning that you won't be the only one around who didn't grow up there. I've actually even heard of the area being described as the Silicon Valley (i.e., San Francisco Bay Area) of the east coast. Despite being the state capital, there seems to be a lot of culture in the area, and everyone I know who's lived there has loved it (a friend of mine actually left a job in order to move back to that area). I've heard lots of good about the LGBT community there too. So, don't let the idea of "The South" put you off. The region as a whole varies drastically from place to place, and Raleigh/etc. seems to be a good spot (plus you'd only be a few hours from some very nice places for weekend getaways - Asheville, the Outer Banks, etc.).

None of this is to disparage Boston though. I love that city as well, and I wouldn't hesitate to move there either. But I have heard that it has a bit more of an in-crowd feel, and can be harder to fit in there if you aren't from there or don't know people from there. Of course, depending on the social circle your job places you in, that may or may not be a problem, and if you love all things Boston, that would probably ease the transition a bit too.

So ultimately I don't think you'll really be going wrong with either choice. Go with whichever your gut pulls you toward, and enjoy!

9. yuanzi

Thanks a lot everyone!

-beenthrdonetht: it is a tech company so I am not too worried they would move to a very rural area. Actually my current city is also a bit like that. It is very open-minded because of universities and other historical reasons but it is surrounded by much more conservative and (equally rural) areas.

-Gravity: yes the company branch in NC is located in the Research Triangle Park. They just sent me some new materials describing how nice it is (it is supposed to be their largest site in North America etc). So now Raleigh is suddenly become very tempting.

Decisions decisions...

10. NCJay

I have lived in both cities and both are great! I am currently living in Raleigh and it is surprisingly liberal and diverse. The LGBT community is very strong (I would say even more so than Durham) and there is a vibrant social scene. The city has two LGBT bars, both which skew heavily to gay men. The city itself is very open and embraces the LGBT community with open arms. The LGBT Center of Raleigh is very active locally and could give you lots more info.

As for being an immigrant, we have a very high number of immigrants here in the Triangle area, due to the many world renowned universities and research institutions. I think you would find that a nonissue.

While Boston/Cambridge is a safe choice culturally, the cost of living there is much, much higher. With the diversity and inclusive environment here in Raleigh, it really is the better option in my opinion. Ive been here a year and I absolutely love it!

Out! Raleigh LGBT Festival: www.outraleigh.org
    LGBT Center of Raleigh: www.lgbtcenterofraleigh.com
    Stonewall LGBT Sports League: stonewallraleigh.leagueapps.com
    Legends nightclub: legends-club.com
    Flex Nightclub: flex-club.com
    Triangle Pride Band: triangleprideband.com
    Gay Men's Chorus: www.tgmchorus.org

As a final illustration of the virtue of our wonderful city, last month our annual Moral March on the capital drew a record crowd of over 80,000 people in support of minorities, women, immigrants and LGBT people. Give Raleigh a chance! :slight_smile:

11. yuanzi

Thanks for all the info NCJay!