1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mental health

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fattrash17, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Fattrash17

How do some of you guys cope with mental health and issues. I do have bad depression and anxiety. I haven't been to the doctors about it and for me going doctors is so scary. Normally I am good but for mental health, no thank you.

My depression does give me suicidal tedancies so how do you guys cope?

2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are having suicidal tendencies you need to see a doctor or therapist. Yes, it is scary has hell, at least at first. But those sorts of suicidal thoughts can lead you down a rabbit hole that you don't want to enter.

Did you know that the more you are depressed, the more your brain slowly kills itself cognitively? Maybe that is a weird way to phrase it, but psychologically true.

When it comes to anxiety, well...depression and anxiety go hand in hand. Here is a mindfulness exercise you can try when you get particularly nervous though. Try using your senses (touch, taste, sight, hearing, smell). For example, put a piece of candy in your mouth and examine it closely. What is the texture, the taste? For hearing, close your eyes and focus on trying to identify as many sounds as possible. Get the idea? The point is you focus so solely on one sense that your anxiety becomes background noise. It is not full proof, but it is something you can work on. Mindfulness techniques like this are used in DBT therapy and take practice to make them work well.

But, honestly, I would see someone soon. Or find a hotline in your area that you can call to talk to a trained professional at the very least. A little discomfort is nothing in terms of your life. And I know you said you are normally very good with mental health, but these things can crop up suddenly.

Also, my last thought is this. Has something happened in your life recently that could be a driving force for your new feelings? Often we carry a lot of baggage and don't realize it until something like this happens. Ponder it.

In any case, I am sorry you are going through this now. I hope things get better for you soon.

Sebby45

#2 Sebby45, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  3. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    After a little bit of doctor searching I found a psychologist who I can trust and is willing to listen and gives good advice. It took me a long time until I admitted to myself that I needed outside help to deal with my personal problems. Although, it was a bit easier for me to do that because I live by myself away from my parents so I could risk spilling out my soul in front of somebody without worrying too much about the possible consequences. For the record I live in Sweden and the laws regarding patient confidentiality here are extremely strong, my doctor could lose the license if any of my personal stuff leaked outside the office.

Regarding the coping part. I though I was coping until I wasn't, but by then things had gotten very serious. My problems didn't magically disappear, nor did I learn to cope. They just got amplified over time. Nowadays my only regret is that it took me years to force myself go and see a mental health professional.

#3 pinkpanther, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  4. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see a therapist. It took a while to find one I really clicked with but I credit him with helping to rescue me from dark and self destructive thoughts and value myself. If you go down the path of seeing a therapist, keep in mind that the first one you see mightn't be the right one for you. If you just don't "click" with them and develop that innate sense of trust, you won't get much out of your sessions. You can always move on and try someone else. It's important to have the right relationship with any therapist.

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2017 at 07:52 AM ----------

I know dem feels! Sooner is better than later.

5. latenlife lez

First your feelings are real- and if you are feeling suicidal and you are aware of it- then it is real. You need to seek professional help. I am not a professional -just someone who has lived through my own suicidal thought.

It has nothing to do with whether you like doctors or not- you need to see someone. Most of us- if not all of us who deal with depression and suicidal thoughts do not have the ability to quote- "pull ourselves out of the dumps"- mainly because the pain we are feeling is so much we could not tell you how we got depressed in the first place.

I have been lucky out of 5 different counselors over 20 years 3 of them have clicked with me. I have only had one GP who took me seriously and regularly checked in with me concerning my medications. When I made the step to get back on them more than 8 years ago- (because life was beyond overwhelming and I knew my signs) I decided to get a psychiatrist instead of dealing with a GP. I actually have a psychiatric nurse who licensed to write prescriptions- She never doubts how I feel- yes she asks me every time I have a check in to get scripts- if I feel like killing myself- and thankfully on the last few visits I have been able to say no- and I do not feel like she is disconnected.

We talk often about what we think is working- and what is not- and we work together to get me to a healthy brain chemistry. She insists that I see a counselor- which I do and my nurse- does not counsel- and my counselor does not doctor.

when looking for someone to see- ask questions - and do not feel like you have to see that person-- remember you are paying them to help you. If you and your therapist click- it turns into a partnership that is all about you- being healthy- happy and not self harming.

Please seek someone. You do not have to live in your pain alone- or scared.

6. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I cope with mental health issues (mild case of OCD and some anxiety), I will: listen to music, watch Youtube videos, watch TV, write my feelings down (in a notebook or a separate sheet of paper), or fall asleep. Doing those things doesn't help my anxiety in the long run, but it is a short-term solution. That is my personal way of dealing with mental health problems. Sometimes, just realizing that other people have mental health problems helps a LOT. It feels GOOD and REFRESHING to know that other people have problems, so I feel less alone. That is a added bonus to feeling better.

I suggest you write a list of things that you can do to cope with mental health problems. For example, try exercising, taking a walk, praying (if you're religious), watching TV (distraction), watching Youtube videos (distraction), writing your thoughts down, meditation, or sitting alone in a room to dwell on your thoughts.

7. FluffyLightFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This comes from someone who's had to deal with similar things for a certain time (although probably to a lesser gravity) : the fastest you get help the less time you'll waste and the easiest it will be to get off the unhealthy habits. You don't want that kind of things to drag on for too long.

Now if you're like many and can't get therapy, well, my only advice, which is what has kept me alive for most of the past two years and a half, is the following : get your mind off it. Get a passion, or worse, let work devour you. Find a hobby and do nothing else. It's unhealthy, sure. It's only replacing one unhealthy behaviour with another one, but if you can, reroute as much of your energy as you can (while avoiding any impact to your studies or anything of that kind) into something else (even studies if you want).

So, yeah. Maybe you'll last for a while with my "method", but I don't believe that without professional care you'll eventually be all right.
    Good luck, take care.

8. Chatshow

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Talking really is the key for me. Having someone in your life that you can trust, and going to counselling from time to time to help keep head healthy is no bad thing. Communication is key.