1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my aunt as trans?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Smores, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Smores

Ok so I'm wondering if I should come out as trans to my aunt. I'm out to her as far as sexuality but not gender. Her opinion of transgender people is that because post transition people of trans experience still have high rates of suicide, transgenderism isn't the "problem". Basically, there are underlying psychological problems and they're using their gender identity to make them feel better.
    If I come out she won't be violent and she's moderately reasonable. She may understand or at least be accepting after we have a talk. However, I'm worried she will change her mind about letting me cut my hair or she won't believe me and/or accept me. Also, I'll be moving out in about a year and a half to two years. Should I just wait until I move out? If I start seeing gender therapist after coming out, could I start my transition before moving out? I live in the US if that helps. I'll be visiting my Christian conservative grandma this summer, should Iwait until after that? I don't know I'm pretty sure I'm ready to come out but circumstances are difficult. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. lesbian188

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you should come out to your aunt if you're comfortable enough. Also yeah, probably wait until after you see your grandma to come out.

3. Smile44

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really you have to determine the answer to those questions on your own. My advice is to evaluate each question individually. Asking yourself what will be the easiest route. And which way will bring you the least amount of pain, if your aunt and grandmother, reject you. Your aunt may not say negative things but to me thinking I had a psychological problem could be stressful also. How can you prove to someone that you don't have psychological problems. Really you can't, they will just believe what they want. So that could get stressful too. If it was a situation I found myself in I would wait. Why, because when you have other options, as far as a different place to live. Then if the situation gets to hard to handle, then you can leave for a while and get your thoughts together. But if your just dependent on this other individual to provide shelter for you then you have to be sensitive to how they feel, so you don't get thrown out into the street. A lot of people feel that coming out is so important and they have to do it fast. But that is not the most important thing to me. I feel like you should get used to the changes in your life first. I feel that once you choose without a doubt that this is the way you want to live. There are changes you need to get use to first. But if you start telling others to soon, not only do you have to handle their emotions now but yours also. Too much, to soon. Allow yourself time to adjust to your new life, so you can get strong. And then by the time you tell your family, your personal experiences of handling the transition will make you better able to handle your families reaction. Friends you can tell sooner then family because if you have the right friends then they will support you no matter what. And if they don't, then you can make friends who will support you. Good Luck!!!!!