1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to Convince Mom to Let Friend Visit?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheLemurLady, Feb 22, 2017.

1. TheLemurLady

TheLemurLady Guest

Hello! So to start off, I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. :icon_redf I wasn't sure where this should go, so I just put it here.
    Anywho! Here's the thing: My friend who moved last year and her family were wondering if she could come fly to my town for a weekish so that we could go to summer camp together and hang out again! (!)
    It sounds super awesome and fun and my mom would agree, but there's a few technicalities. For one, we would have to pick her up and drop her off at the airport. Second, we would not be heading straight to camp, because flights and camp dates don't match up perfectly, plus a flight is tiring and she's need to rest before going to summer camp. She would have to sleepover at my house for a night or two. This doesn't seem too bad on the surface, but my dog is a bit crazy and would need to be placed in a "Pet Hotel", whatever you call it, for a couple days. That can add up. :confused:
    Probably the main reason I want her to come is because life has been difficult for her lately. The town she moved to is a bit rough (drugs and stuff), she's having a hard time finding good friends, and she is questioning her sexuality like I did last year, so I want to help her out since I've been in similar situations. I want to help my good friend get a break from her problems and have some fun. Plus the fact that her parents have set aside money for a plane ticket really shows her commitment, and I am just as committed.
    I understand my mom's concerns; I really don't want to make things difficult and I want to respect her opinion. But as you can see, life has been tough for my friend and I want to help her out in real life rather than through email. Please give me advice soon, since decisions have to be made soon. I'd prefer advice from people whose friends have moved away or from adults whoare more likely to understand my mom's concerns, thanks. :slight_smile: :help: I'd really appreciate some ideas on what to do and how to convince my mom without stressing her out, because obviously she is very important too. :icon_bigg It's a confusing situation and I need some advice! Thanks a gazillion times! (*hug*)

2. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Picking your friend up from the airport seems simple enough, having to put your dog in a kennel seems a bit extreme though ? I'm assuming that before your friend moved away, she would have been to your house and seen/met the dog? Is your dog really aggressive ? If you could find another way to deal with the dog situation that doesn't cost a bunch of $ it would certainly help.

3. TheLemurLady

TheLemurLady Guest

@Stewie My dog is a Belgian Malinois, therefore he has high anxiety which makes him unpredictable. My parents are going to muzzle train him soon though, so I think that could help keep him from going to the dog hotel. :-D

4. ravenscarlett

The only thing that seems to be a major issue would be taking care of the dog. Is there anywhere you could keep the dog closed off when your friend is moving around or something? I mean, in my house, we have gates we can use to close the living room off from the rest of the house. Child safety gates tend to work well, especially with the breed's size. Another thing is that you could work around the dog. Maybe have someone take him on a walk while your friend is coming in and then keep your bedroom door closed with your friend in there with you? Either way, good luck

5. TheLemurLady

TheLemurLady Guest

@ravenscarlett Sounds good. Thank you!