1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Trump expected to rescind/cancel protections for trans students

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sonic1337111, Feb 22, 2017.

1. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're right about that. I support them because i'd probably be a hyprocite not to, and for the same reason as a teen i went against my family and was accepting of non-heterosexuals. As a sexually repressed teenager i was raised to hate them and consider it wrong, but apart of me just couldn't ever do that. Hearing about everything they went through, it just seemed completely illogical that their non-traditional sexual identity could be anything but completely genuine. Why would you suffer like that and face such rejection, the constant possibility of rejection, for something that wasn't genuine. And then obviously i turned out to be gay myself. But the point is, i feel the same about trans kids even if i don't get it - why would they go through all of that for something that's not real.

#21 AlexJames, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2017
  2. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely get what you're saying. Between him doing this and him having Pence as his VP, who knows what is going to happen. I guess I'm just trying to do my best to stay postive.

3. DrummerGirl2000

Agreed. Actions speak louder than words, and they have from the beginning with these people.

4. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An opportunity to fight for protections the T community already had? Then it's a setback, because they could be using the time they spend fighting this to fight for other things.

So there shouldn't be any laws protecting people against racism, homophobia, gender discrimination, etc., because that's the government telling them how to behave?

5. Jellal

Not what I said. You can have your nondiscrimination laws, but understand that since they are being forced onto people rather than getting them to change their prejudices, the result will not produce a safe or accepting environment equal to an actually supportive community that helps these people without needing outside coercion.
    I think the worst things these laws have done is breed resentment in people who others have demanded change from when they were not willing to change themselves. What seems like a huge victory for a marginalized group from one side seems like an authoritarian decree leveled at morally inferior bigots from the other side.

#25 Jellal, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  6. Just Jess

We're very used to being that bone.

---------- Post added 12th Mar 2017 at 09:20 AM ----------

We're also used to being in this position, where people fighting for our rights push us onto the front lines in ideological wars. This is a setback for us, but even if we reverse it and keep our protections, we're still in the media spotlight and that in and of itself has fallout that I don't have the patience to re-explain.

It doesn't matter though. We're used to being in the spotlight. We're used to being the shock troops of our little family. We're good at it. We never expected a thing from the law. We're the first horse traded away, every time. We're good at working around the law when we have to.

My opinion echoes what a lot of other people posted. We're going to continue going to the bathroom whether people like it or not. :dealwithit:

#26 Just Jess, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  7. Makalaster

I'm conflicted cause I believe in a limited federal government, however I want everyone to be safe under the law. I do believe it should be left to the states.

8. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    #28 AlexJames, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2017
  9. Linkmaste

Yes, you're right it's a set back. But what's done is done. You can't possibly believe sitting in your computer chair typing on this forumn will change things?

Why can't you go run for council?

10. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ... cause I live in Spain?

11. Linkmaste

Does Spain not have a education council within your regional division?

12. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he backtracks on this and pulls a Pence on all of us, I'm showing any LGBTQ person who ever supported/voted for him no mercy.