1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to figure out if there is a gender term that fits me...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TheAmpilus, Feb 18, 2017.

1. TheAmpilus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To put things simply, I was born as a female and have identified as a female - albeit a rather boyish one - my entire life. However, over the last couple of years I've been feeling more and more that I actually want to be a male and not a female. I would class this as being a trans man except that in the cases of most trans men, they already feel like they are male and/or identify as male, which I don't.

So what I'm asking is this: is there a term for a female who desires to be a male but does not identify as one?

(I hope that makes sense...)

2. Naos210

I understand what you mean, for me, it's kind of the same way. I'm completely male, but I maybe more so desire to be female than actually mentally being one. The only way I defer from you is being more of a boyish female than I would be an actual male. Regardless of this, back to you. Reminds me of this video game character, who wanted to be male (and even identified as one despite knowing she wasn't). So, I guess you'd just be a female. Wanting to be male doesn't really change your gender.

3. TheAmpilus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The thing is, though, if I had the opportunity to actually make a transition from female to male, I'd take it in a heartbeat, even if I don't yet feel like one. And I would like to identify as male, but I'm overall just too feminine (mostly in looks and voice) and simply calling myself a male would just feel like I'm lying to everyone - hence why I want to find a separate term for it.

4. Irisviel

but there is no separate term for it. If you want to transition to male that's what means you are a transgender male. You simply can decide that you won't call yourself a man before transitioning, which is in some ways reasonable, in the sense that it sets a certain goal in transitioning.

5. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get what you're saying, I'm pretty much the same though genders reversed. I identify as 'demiboy' (whatever that means) but I'm definitely more of a female in the soul.

6. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's really common for people who haven't started transition to not "feel" male or see themselves as men. It's really hard to think of yourself as a guy when you don't look like one and no one else sees you as one. My guess is that if you want to be male, you're probably a trans guy, and that the feeling of actually being a guy will develop as you start to transition.

7. TheAmpilus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So you're saying I could identify as a trans guy without yet feeling like one?
    Because that could ease my confusion quite a bit.

8. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes!

9. Synesthesia

Something similar happened with me, not all trans people follow an exact narrative in terms of identity. It's really more about what you want to do with your body and how you want to live socially - those are important questions to ask yourself.

#9 Synesthesia, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  10. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think this is good advise. There could be other reasons for why you want to be male apart from the possibility that you might be trans. I know several female friends irl who say they wished they could have been born male for a lot of different reasons, like wanting to be stronger in sports, they think it would be an easier life etc. There is an important difference between wanting to be male and feeling that you ARE male. It's important that you take the time to think about it and definitely don't rush into anything. Go at your own pace and don't let anyone sway you from your own course (&&&)

11. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    two things that may be helpful to you.

One, try to find a gender therapist, they should be able to help you explore these feelings so you can more readily know if transition would really be the right path for you.

Two, Don't worry so much about "looks and voice" as, if transition is the right path for you, those will change to be more masculine. In terms of vocal transition specifically, trans men have it easier than trans women because a more drastic change happens to deepen the voice with testosterone, than to raise the voice with estrogen.

I'm not saying that trans men have it easier all around, I'm only commenting on the vocal aspect being easier.

12. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, to some extent. Anyone who feels that they want to be male should explore exactly why they feel that way. Just wanting to occupy a male social role or wanting the privileges that come with being male doesn't make you a trans guy. The point I intended to make was if you want to be seen as male, want to be one physically, etc. you can be a trans guy whether or not you "feel like" one.

#12 darkcomesoon, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  13. TheAmpilus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, thank you all for your input. You've definitely helped me put things a little more in perspective. I'll give some of those things mentioned a try, and hopefully I'll figure this out before too long.