1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American small talk

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PianoKeys, Feb 18, 2017.

1. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    A friend of mine has a psychology study, and she mentioned it was different then European.
    It was a long time ago we spoke of it, I am just not sure what she said. And I cannot talk to her now. So I was thinking about it , since there are so much Americans here.

I remember going to Hanna ford, and they say hello how are you, so I start to talk about my day a bit (there were no people behind me waiting) lol...her eyes were so awkward and like okay..thats nice...and...well I was like...okay that felt weird.:icon_redf

So whenever I made a chit chat comment, people look at me funny a bit. I am genuine and can act like a stranger at that moment is a "friend" to give it a name.

(I could become friends just like that. People dont usually do that, and it has not really happened. But it could you know. And can u imagine I was shy as **** up to 25..I would not dare speak to strangers)

Anyway,

I mean at a park I did meet the nicest lady with her son who had down syndrom and well that was nice.

All this stuff generally happened around the state of Maine.

See I don't care I don't judge because I know people just are afraid. But I was wondering, is it so different from European? Why ?

I found it interesting that there was a topic dedicated to it in psychology book. I really need to find it.

I have to say going to Washington DC and NYC Black people ( I am really not sure which word to use, so much racial tension around the world) tend to be way more easy going and responsive. But then again its a city.

Amsterdam compared to my city is way different to.

I do love Americans, I just get a bit shy now when I am there. Felt a bit like my old me again. And I don't chit chat everyday, its just sometimes I can feel that way.

I had the craziest Dutch encounter to in the Smithsonian, I hear Dutch speaking people and its been a while to hear them. So I say..ooh hey Dutch ! Shes like..hmm..yeah in a cold tone and walks away. Lol....

Its not a problem its a curiosity, and I know people I meet don't represent the states so what do you know about the differences?

#1 PianoKeys, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2017
  2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When most Americans say "Hello! How are you?" and you're just meeting them in passing, they expect a "Good! How are you?" right back. Sometimes you'll get somebody whose probably lonely and really does want to talk to you, but not as often as the former. Can't say for sure cause i was not there obviously but that might be why you got the responses you did.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have always found it interesting to study the greetings of different countries too.

In America, the overused "Hi! How are you?" with a smile isn't really a question. You are expected to say something along the lines of "good" right back. Smiling is big when you meet people too. Everyone always wants you to smile. Hand shake with men and often a hug with women.

I am not terribly fond of our greetings here, especially not asking how someone is if you don't actually care to know. I prefer asking different questions upon meeting, but that is just me.

#3 Kodo, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  4. AlamoCity

With the "how are you?" I completely agree it's basically say "hello" and not a question. When I ask it genuinely there's a change in tone and often in private.

On the physical greeting part, I always hand shake everyone but I feel it's women amongst themselves who are more prone to hug each other. It's only women first make the move to hug that I reciprocate. But, I feel women are less likely to hug men unless they know you well.

5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never really got the point of small talk at all to be honest.
    I get nervous about going to the store (or even working in one) because you are expected to small and keep up a steady stream of small talk, and I can't speak to people that easily. I just want to buy and get out, which is why self checkout is such a great thing.

Where I live in America people DEMAND this kind of small talk, and if you don't do it then you are considered rude to a damning agree. I've known people to be fired because they were shy, or having a bad day, and didn't tell customers hi. Customers complained and cashier is thus held responsible.

6. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I hate small talk personally, if I'm having a conversation I'd like it to mean something.

In America the "Hi, how are you" really is not asking how you are but just a "friendly" hello. I usually respond with "I'm good how about you" then they say "good" and the formality is over with.

7. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I don't think it's generally an EU vs America thing but rather something with culture.
    From what British people told me they have a similar situation of impersonal small talk there.

I actually find this sort of Smalltalk really annoying because it's hard if people are just being polite or want an honest answer sometimes. If someone here asks " How are you" they usually do ask about how your day was or how things have been for you if you haven't met in a while. So I'm more used to people actually meaning what they're asking.

Though it generally makes it harder to tell whether someone likes you or is simply being polite....it's impractical.

#7 Cinis, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2017
  8. Flowey

When I was still at school, we were taught to say "How are you? I'm fine. Thank you. and you?"...and it became an automatic response. Now I refrain from asking how are you at all

9. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the difference is that in America you are expected to at least feign interest, and not doing so is considered standoffish or rude. In my experience it seems that in Europe no one would really expect a waiter or shopkeeper to take any kind of personal interest in you--in America they're supposed to. I'm in private banking and I often joke that I make small talk for a living--clients, colleagues, management. It's actually a very important part of the job. I actually keep notes in client files to make sure that I know the children's names, hobbies, vacations, interests. It's actually my job to know to ask if little Jimmy's team made it to the finals. And when all else fails, yes I talk about the weather--or how little I know about sports, people seem to find that charming. Even in the interoffice environment people who don't do it are mistrusted. Is it fair? Probably not. But it's very real.

I will differ a bit from the other respondents in saying that I actually answer the question how are you and I always answer it honestly, although I may put a bit of spin on it. If I literally have never seen you before it will be one sentence. I would have to have known you for quite some time before I would get really detailed in a negative way with people, but even clients will sometimes get "you know, I've had better, how's your day going?" Unless I know you well I will never go to hug you, I will accept hugs (even at work) from women in almost all circumstances and men only in the event it is an expression of unusual gratitude.

10. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In northern Italy, most of the times it's expected to answer just "fine, thanks" to "how are you". I don't care at all, and start talking about my day for five minutes even if nobody cares LOL.
    I think in southern Italy the situation is less... cold.

11. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for all the answers, very interesting to read. Also about Northern Italy, what is it with North? Northern Netherlands are a bit timid also compared to west or south. But very sincere though, if someone would ask how is your day you can answer to full extent haha. Its just not asked usually.

I forgot to mention that I did learn later to go in auto-pilot mode, to say good how about yourself? And thats it. But I had to get used to it for a bit. It feels a bit funny , and I bet if I go back it will feel the same.

@clinis @ totesgaybrah I understand you hate it , I hate the fake of it, I mean what I say. But on the other hand if thats how the culture is and it makes them feel better about human interaction, I will go with it. I will leave my comfort zone, I have to try respect the culture if its not clashing with my person.

@ Matto Corvo , that was what I was thinking , the upside is with shopping in America I know they will help me completely and wont walk away to quickly. Here the customer service compared to USA sucks. So I thought what if they have an awfull day, they must be good at acting. They are always friendly. I know the stakes are high and you can get fired very easy in the US. This is why I prefer not to work in a store in the US (Unless GameStop! : D )

@ LunarLyric , I had the most interesting conversation with an older man though. I added him on FB ( I am not really a Facebooker, log in once a two months) and he left a heart warming message. And one time with a man with a dog, I did not mention them. It happens, but the feeling that I was totally a freak with the way I was eyeballed happened a bit to much. In little details, I never felt so out of place sometimes, when I was trying to be friendly. Because the fake reply made it feel weird, if they just did not respond or just shortly. It would not feel so weird, they responded so excited but in the words and ways I could notice it meant: wtf, just get on with your day already : P who are you !

@ OGS , smart to keep notes , if I ever get to work there in the US and have customer interaction like that I will keep a note : D. Interesting to see to, that it also shows you are a person to be potentially trusted. That can either make it easier for people or harder.

12. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We rarely say "how are you?" in the UK, just in case (heaven forbid) somebody tells us the truth and we have to do the touchy-feely sort of thing. :eek: Small talk is not a habit we care to indulge in.

13. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds amazing, to be honest. Maybe I should move to the UK.

14. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's basically just supposed to go like this:

"Hi. How are you?"
    "Good. How are you?"
    "Good."

And then you move on. It's a greeting process, not an actual question. It can also be a gauge for the level of relationship you have. Between good friends, you can actually answer the question.

It's interesting to see generational differences too. My grandpa, for instance, answers "How are you?" with "Can't complain." I've heard the same from a couple of other people, all older men.

In high school, we had a similar set of greetings. If someone said "What's up?" the correct answer was "Nothing." Or guys would say "Sup?" "Sup?" and that was the whole thing.

15. AAASAS

Canada is same way. Sometimes I tell cashiers "good you?" when they say "hi"because I'm expecting them to say how are you.

16. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like American small talk either.

17. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Italy has a lot of inner differences in climate, economics, society and so on. In the (also recent) past, if taken someone from the very north and someone from the very south, they would have differentiate so much in etnicity (!), language, culture and behaviour that they would have been looking like coming from two different countries.
    The common idea of Italy in foreign countries is "southern and central" (Neaples, Rome): warmth, good food, traditions. Northern Italy is less "famous".
    So... yes, in the North, they are cooler. It's the same old european story of "north is more efficient/modern/sad/boring/close-hearted" than south. Northern Italy thinks "I'm the best, I'm efficient and rich". Southern: "I have food and beaches and the core of our culture". Southern Germany thinks: "I'm the best, I'm efficient and rich. Those Italian people talk too loud in restaurants and their kids are annoying like little demons." Northern Germany thinks: "No, I am efficient, you're not." Greece replies: "Shut all you up, I have the core of our culture". The rest of Europe: "No, shut you up and go worry about your economy".

Sorry for the frenzy xD (you know, I'm a confusionary Italian human being)

---------- Post added 1st Mar 2017 at 04:35 AM ----------

I didn't want that banana -.- xD I was writing this: !

---------- Post added 1st Mar 2017 at 04:45 AM ----------

The problem in the region I live in is that is difficult to make new friends, exspecially entering in a group of friends. There are these closed "groups" of people, who split the world in "inside here" and "outside there", "we" and "they", men and women, locals and immigrants, old friends and new entries. It's hard to break the wall of little talk, sometimes you wonder if someone really cares abou you. Seems like only your relatives and close friends (but close friendship is a work of years, like five years) care a minimal about you in the world. Sometimes also relatives keep you at a distance.
    I joke on it and say it's all fog to blame. Fog and... smog, lol.

18. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate opening up a proverbial can of worms when I say "How are you?" - some people can be too chatty!!

Granted, when I ask outside of retail scenarios, I do expect more than a generic response...but not a novel. I ask when I do actually care for an answer. Then again, I've always been a bit too literal about things, and I never understood why anyone would ask if they didn't want to know.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The insincerity of most "how are you?" questions I find pretty annoying, actually. But at the same time, I don't always feel like talking about how I am to acquaintances or total strangers, so it goes both ways.

20. lifestruggles

I find hairdressers in the UK the same with the small talk. For example most are inclined to ask "are you going on holiday this year" it drives me mad. I just want them to shut up and cut my hair haha but I guess it is just part of their job role. As I spend the majority of my day talking to people (work with autistic children) I just sometimes want peace and quiet. But I have to say I love going to the USA and how much they love the British accent. When I went to LA the people in the cafe's could not understand me as although I am from England I am from Birmingham and I have a very strange accent. I don't think it is a very nice one but the people in LA seemed to love it haha.