1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts about Tumblr?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Matto_Corvo, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay,the whole otherkin and TERFs aside....what are your thoughts on Tumblr?

I have a writing blog on there already, and have recently started one for trans issues. A place to vent.

Do you think tumblr can be a good resource for trans*gender people if they avoid the negative parted? And are you for or against starting a blog on there?

I have tried using Wordpress before but have learned I have no idea how to use the sit. Tumblr is simple enough for me.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like an asshole when I say I feel otherkin is part of the reason why we don't get taken seriously, though not nearly as much as how ridiculous some so-called activists on tumblr can be. I don't think I can go a solid month without hearing the "attack helicopter" joke.

Tumblr can be a great resource, and it can also be a place where people will say you aren't "trans enough" and if "you want to wear makeup and skirts, then stay a girl".

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like that is another reason that I want to make a tumblr. To make a blog someone not feeling "trans enough" might find and learn that they are valid in their feelings. I meant I doubt it will ever get massively huge, but I still want it to be there.

And yes, I feel otherkins are a huge problem as well. Can't count the times I've had to tell people that being trans and being otherkins are 2 separate things.

#3 Matto_Corvo, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. randomconnorcon

Tumblr can be great for people to learn if they know where to really look and a great place to create a blog if you know how to use it all to find that audience. I don't like the negative parts and I get really angry at people who spread lies or try to enforce their opinions on others, especially if they're hurtful. But I could navigate the site fairly well to avoid a lot of it. Really, the reason I don't use Tumblr anymore is because it didn't keep my interest; my addiction (i.e. where I post my photography and writing) is Instagram.

5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no idea how to use Instagram lol. Also I didn't choose a phone with a great camera because I'm not a picture taker and hate selfies.

I shall give Tumblr a shot. If I find it to be shit or harmful I will just delete it.

6. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I heard that some people on there want to ban "gender bending" characters because it's "offensive" to us(Trans people)

Personally, I'm not offended by Gender Bent characters and find some to be cute/funny.

I might even cosplay a female 10th doctor after I transition.

The way I worded what I said made me think of a "Avatar" joke about a "Gender Bender" who bends people's gender instead of Air Fire Earth or Water.

#6 Zoe Izumi, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  7. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I think the problem with tumblr is that it is not a reliable source anymore, as people have started to spread misinformation.
    ( I also don't think you can fully exclude otherkin from the issue because people have started to somehow make otherkin stuff legit by hanging the word gender behind it. I.e. Musicgender, frostgender etc.)

That is to say if you really want to just write a good blog feel free to do so on tumblr. There are some really good blogs to these topics on there and it sure as hell can use every bit of non-bullshit it can get.

8. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love Tumblr; I met a close friend of mine through a trans guy penpal page. Sure there's a lot of bullshit on there but to be honest, isn't there everywhere? You just need to get used to ignoring it. There's a lot of good pages and a lot of pages for specified stuff, it's also a good place to keep a diary-blog because it's easy to use, search and post stuff.

9. SiKiHe

The only problem I have with tumblr is the misinformation. When I was trying to learn terms and research trans people tumblr popped up often and was very confusing and often had people saying many different things. I hit a point where I never looked on tumblr for help

10. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I must have had tumblr for about 6 years. In that time had 5 blogs for different things. It depends on the blog's you follow. Follow decent people with things you want to see and you don't even have to worry about the rest of the site. Just do you.

11. DrummerGirl2000

Personally, Tumblr was a very unhealthy thing for me. I got sucked into the negative side because there were an endless number of posts that made me feel like my innermost feelings of depression and anxiety were understood. It started out as venting and not feeling alone, I would try to help everyone and keep people alive who were struggling with thoughts of suicide. I had people to relate to, quotes that described me, and an outlet where I could show the sides of myself that I hid from the rest of the world. But it morphed into something different, I spent hours on tumblr every night, I hardly slept and ended up completely wallowing in my own negative emotions. Obsessing over suicide was so very easy to do with never ending posts capturing the most romantic ways to view it, as well as gifs and pictures of people doing it in any way imaginable. I am fully aware that it is my fault that I ended up seeking out these things and getting wrapped up in the negative side of tumblr, but I would not recommend Tumblr to anyone who struggles with suicidal thoughts because the temptation to and ease at which one can fall to the dark side of Tumblr is very high. If tumblr works for you, that's great, but it contributed to my mental hospitalization and I would definitely approach it with caution of you have mental-health problems. This was all a couple years ago, so things may have changed, but this question about tumblr is one that I am passionate about.

12. DrummerGirl2000

Personally, Tumblr was a very unhealthy thing for me. I got sucked into the negative side because there were an endless number of posts that made me feel like my innermost feelings of depression and anxiety were understood. It started out as venting and not feeling alone, I would try to help everyone and keep people alive who were struggling with thoughts of suicide. I had people to relate to, quotes that described me, and an outlet where I could show the sides of myself that I hid from the rest of the world. But it morphed into something different, I spent hours on tumblr every night, I hardly slept and ended up completely wallowing in my own negative emotions. Obsessing over suicide was so very easy to do with never ending posts capturing the most romantic ways to view it, as well as gifs and pictures of people doing it in any way imaginable. I am fully aware that it is my fault that I ended up seeking out these things and getting wrapped up in the negative side of tumblr, but I would not recommend Tumblr to anyone who struggles with suicidal thoughts because the temptation to and ease at which one can fall to the dark side of Tumblr is very high. If tumblr works for you, that's great, but it contributed to my mental hospitalization and I would definitely approach it with caution of you have mental-health problems. This was all a couple years ago, so things may have changed, but this question about tumblr is one that I am passionate about.

13. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's just a blogging platform. People on tumblr have a wide range of beliefs and interests. There's some really good stuff (and a lot of genuinely good trans resources) on there and there's also a lot of garbage, just like you'd get anywhere else on the internet. Personally, I like it. I follow a lot of blogs that post videos and pictures of goats, and I follow some likeminded trans people.

14. Jellal

I used to use Tumblr in the past. I have to tell you, that site feels pretty much like a sink where you put time into it with no return whatsoever. I never learned anything useful about the world there. And it heavily, heavily, heavily peddles in a culture of self-victimization and taking offense at everything. It is a virtual college campus without the classes or the parties. I think you'll have more satisfaction making a blog of your own outside of that website. Then you won't have to deal with any of the endless inevitable Tumblr bullshit.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tumblr is probably the single biggest source of completely unfounded/inaccurate/wildly ridiculous information about sexuality out there. I would *never* in a million years use Tumblr as a credible information source about anything.

It is not a community I'd personally have the slightest interest in engaging with. There are much better, much healthier communities out there.

16. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not so easy to find a free blogging platform that is so easy to use. I mentioned it earlier but I tried using Wordpress without much success because I couldn't even figure out the simple things for it.

And anything that cost money to use is a no go simply because I can't afford it.

For the most part infuse Tumblr for my writing blog and less for Trans related things.

17. Irisviel

Basically this. And if anyone has any doubts, just check out those links. It's basically a place where people throw science and clinical psychology out of the window, and replace it with imagination and ideology-driven social science methodology. All perpetuated by the "every feeling is valid" dogma.

Genderfluid Support
    Genderfluid Support
    Genderfluid Support

Take tumblr as a resource and you'll end up spending maybe years figuring out labels instead of finding any solutions and truths.

18. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been using Tumblr off and on since about 2009, I really just find it a nice place to vent and I enjoy looking at pictures (and reblogging them).

But, when it comes to sexuality/gender identities, Tumblr is not a credible source. So, when people always make jokes or being hostile about ones sexuality or gender identity and they refer back to Tumblr, it just shows how uninformed they are.

#18 Blood Elf, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  19. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awful resource. Not only not informative, but also confusing. Too much about personal drama. Very superficial, non-insightful info. Drama. Drama. Drama. You look for info on what you can be if you don't fit gender or how to make sense of that and all you get is a ton of people complaining about breasts and binding unsafely.

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2017 at 11:21 AM ----------

But when it comes to other topics it seems like a normal blogging platform. I never used it, but looking at what my friends are doing on tumblr, it has a bunch of normal stuff too, besides the SJWs.

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2017 at 11:24 AM ----------

"Take tumblr as a resource and you'll end up spending maybe years figuring out labels instead of finding any solutions and truths."
    So true. Gender-wise, ofc.

20. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So Tumblr is mostly an entertainment site and I would agree with many of the people on here that it is not considered a credible source for most information. For venting, it is great because you can keep it like an online journal of sorts or however you want (public or private).

If you are starting the transgender page for venting only, yeah tumblr could be good. If you are starting it to give advice, I would either cite your sources to other credible websites or use a different site to make your blog. If you are looking for something relatively easy to use for blogging, you could use weebly.com or another type of free website builder. Weebly.com I know uses kind of a visual drag and drop system to create pages/layout pages, and is fairly easy to use/learn.