1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tx87, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Tx87

Tx87 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Question does anyone think some teens are putting too much emphasis on labeling their sexuality at too young an age?

At 12,13 14, etc people are still growing physically and mentally and haven't fully matured yet, nor gaining life experience, but I'm just wondering if there's too much pressure to choose a label at such a young age.

Just from my personal experience I've known people who labeled themselves straight, married had children then came out. Other times people who considered themselves bi or gay then later said they're straight.

I feel like at some point teens should just enjoy their lives without stressing over a label (I know it's was said than done)

What's everyone else's opinion?

2. SiKiHe

I think sometimes it is just stressing, but other times you just know. It is possible to know your sexuality very early. Some people repress and fight their sexuality and aren't able or willing to accept themselves until they are older. Others are open but unsure and need to journey and experience in order to find themselves. Each story is different

3. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I see what you mean, but from personal experience it can feel like there's a lot of pressure to define yourself, from early on. As sexuality is something that really changes your future life, and at 12-14 people are beginning to get 'crushes' and going on casual dates, and start to talk about how good looking different celebrities are- there's quite a bit of pressure to be clearly in one camp or another. It can feel like the longer you wait, the more your actual sexuality will be discredited when you do come out. People aren't satisfied with the answer I don't know- there is this expectation it must be obvious. It's unfortunately completely counterproductive, I think there needs to be a more open understanding that these things take time. I know it would've made me feel a lot less worried when I was younger.

#3 GalleyGirl, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  4. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In cases where your sexuality is more clear-cut, you should be free to label yourself accordingly. But in cases where your sexuality is more complex, I think there's no point in attempting to label yourself as it would only lead to frustration. That's why I dropped labelling my sexuality. I am aware that others may feel the pressure to label themselves a certain way, but I don't feel that pressure so I don't have much of a problem without them.