1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your religious views?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dyl pickle, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do I believe there is a higher power that governs the universe? No.

For me, if the idea of or name of a god could be applied to anything tangible, then it would be the universe---all powerful and everywhere at once. However, the universe isn't a conscious, self aware being that interacts with us in the way that a god would (such as through prayers and miracles) nor is it all knowing. While I don't believe the various gods and goddesses are literal beings, I see them as belong symbols and metaphors for the stories they stand for and stem from.

I've been told that makes me a pantheist, which is fine. I also connect with Bokononism (from Kurt Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle") and Satanism, which are the core philosophies I still abide by as well. At the end of the day, the highest call I must answer to is myself and it's all about living for today in the now. Do what makes you happy as long as you aren't hurting anyone, basically.

#21 Daydreamer1, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. DrummerGirl2000

Bottom line: athiest

But there's more too it.
    I'm an existentialist and believe that any meaning found in anything, has been assigned that meaning created in our minds. That there is not one true reality, or meaning of any event or situation, but an infinite number of realities and meanings to be perceived (by saying there is an infinite number of realities, it becomes the same thing as saying that there is no reality at all since it is a comparison word; for something to be real it must have something non-real to be compared to or it has no meaning). I prefer to say infinite realities over none at all though, its less depressing. I believe that one's perception is one's reality; it is the only thing we can ever possibly know and comprehend, we do not have the capacity for more. Not to say that one is forever doomed due to their messed up perception, since perceptions can change. So basically I'm a cynic who believes in and accepts nothing and denies the value of all things because I see no greater meaning, and without meaning a thing cannot have value. *overthinking issues*
    If you were able to follow that and grasp what I was laying down, you should reply or message me. If you want to challenge me, I'd be thrilled because I envy the sense of purpose and value that those who have faith hold. I'm in need of someone who also craves intense philosophical and deep conversations :icon_bigg Thanks!

3. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I pick and choose what I want to follow in Hinduism, my choice.

4. Xemptor90

Xemptor90 Guest

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I live with only my mom and she makes me go to church. She is a devout Christian who puts religion before anything. I hate it so much because I don't believe the things in the bible actually happened and I don't agree with the bible's view of morality especially on LGBT rights. I also don't like the vibe from most Christians. They claim that they're loving but come from as judgemental. Unfortunately, I can't tell my mom that I don't really believe in/want to practice Christianity or I will most likely be kicked out of her house. I identify as agnostic theist. I do consider that the possibly that a deity existing but I don't consider myself to be part of any religion. One day, I may to attend a Unitarian Universalist church just to gain more morals that I actually agree with.

5. HojaVioleta

Depends on my mood. Swings between a general apatheistic atheism, and a sort of atheistic pagan pantheism.

So no, I don't believe in god(dex)(xes).

#25 HojaVioleta, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  6. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know, I used to call myself an atheist but I'm agnostic now, leaning more towards theistic :slight_smile:

7. AC Slater

I am Catholic per family values but never went to church. My mother has a lot of faith. I, sadly, don't have much. I guess I fall in the middle since I can't prove or disprove god. He certainly isn't needed to explain creation and evolution, but lack of proof is not lack of existence. So I guess I am semi religious if that makes any sense.

8. clocky

I guess that I am an atheist jew...
    I go to temple rarely and I celebrate Jewish holidays and Christmas, but I don't really believe in any "greater power" or stuff like that. Whenever I am involved in anything Christian other that Christmas, I get nauseous and sweaty and uncomfortable. For example, one time I went to Holy Hill in Milwaukee (look it up) and when I checked out the church and gift shop I felt like throwing up and we had to leave, even though I didn't want to because the scenery was so beautiful.
    Basically, any serious religious stuff in general freaks me out like crazy.

I do, however, believe that BamBam (Kunpimook Bhuwakul) is the bra god, and when I pray to him, he makes my boobs not sore and my bra clips easily. *Prays to BamBam*

#28 clocky, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm nonreligious/atheist.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  11. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Lutheran. But slightly different from the mainstream Lutheran.

12. Jellal

I like to think that somehow there is a God and some kind of afterlife where after everything is said and done I can be with the people I love. This is something I've really only admitted to myself lately. I had this idea for awhile that because I had no rational proof for something like that existing there was no reason I should get my hopes up. But I think that if nothing else maybe it can help me fear death less. And death is frightening. Which might sound strange—but in my mind it never feels too far away no matter my age.
    I'm not sure this really counts as religion, but it's the best I've got. Some years ago I decided not to subscribe any longer to the Judaism I was raised with since Jewish identity really didn't impact me enough to give me ritual culture or "faith." If anything it gave me less faith, seeing how shallow the kids I went to Saturday school were, wallowing through the constant IDF propaganda and seeing how the "don't joke about Jews you holocaust-loving Nazi!" narrative was pretty much everywhere I looked. I gained more respect for Judaism by stepping outside of the religious practice itself, distancing myself from the dogmas and using it as an object of philosophical inquiry, which is how I view all religions.

13. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Completely atheist... I never adopted a religion and I can't ever see myself wanting or needing one. I never believed in any gods even before I worked out my sexuality.

14. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think after reading all of these replies, I'm really a large mix of things. I fit a lot of different parts of many different beliefs, and in the end I don't really think I have a religion, but just that there is someone or something out there and there are things that have happened that can't be disproved or proved as acts of a higher power. I'm just going to stop thinking about it because it causes quite a dilemma and internal conflict for me xD I'd rather watch netflix.

15. Amdukias

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Simply an atheist.

16. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My beliefs are essentially Universalist, but I prefer a lower-case "u" because my brand of it is idiosyncratic and I don't identify with any particular movement. Essentially I believe that religion is a natural human response to a real higher power that exists. I do not, therefore, believe that any one religion "has it right". All religions are an attempt at accessing this fundamentally benevolent higher power. And I believe all religions have potential value in their teachings and ideas.

17. SgWay

Born a Muslim but in my heart a atheist or just dont care about religion.

18. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the Christian messages "Everyone is equal" and "Treat others how you wish to be treated" but they have a funny way on portraying it

#38 sonic1337111, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  19. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Christian progressive - Anglican/Episcopalian. I respect the Bible and take it seriously, but I don't take it literally in every respect, nor do I dismiss other sources of wisdom.

20. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm afraid I would fit the stereotype. Though more so agnostic or apathetic than atheist.

One of my bosses at work took the day off to celebrate a grandson's baptism yesterday. Things like that make me laugh - to me that's no different than sacrificing a goat to Thor or holding a feast to celebrate Zeus...