1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think my mom knows?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by gaylor, Feb 16, 2017.

1. gaylor

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did not know/ realize I was gay until recently.

About 7, when I was 14, years ago my mom mentioned that she had wondered if I was a lesbian. I was quick to dismiss it and honestly thought that it was ridiculous. That has been brought up since maybe twice and she says she no longer thinks that.

My mom and I are pretty close. I am 20 now and not much as changed, have never had a boyfriend, been on a date, shown any or expressed any interest in guys, talked about guys in a romantic way or anything even close to that. Now that I know, I am wondering if my mom has always known that I am gay.

I plan on coming out to her sometime soon, but as my mom I would not be totally surprised if she reacts by telling me that she has known this whole time. I think it would be great (by great I mean easier for me lol) if she did already know, because she would definitely be supportive.

What are your opinions on the matter? Have others experienced similar situations? if so how did that go??

2. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, she either knows or suspects.

I was about 11 the first time my mom asked me whether I was a lesbian (because I was always very obsessed with and effusive about women to the point where it obviously was beyond just looking up to them as a role model or whatever) and then through the years she always kept asking or hinting that I was gay. I would always just change the subject etc. I still havent come out but she suspects I am gay although obviously holds on to the hope that her suspicion might not be true. Like she will still ask whether I like any boys etc... if I ignore the question she gets angry etc. But it wont be a surprise when I bring a girl home at all. I mean literally before I moved away to uni she said 'Are there older women at university? Please dont bring an older woman home'. Or when my parents drove me back to the airport after Xmas, my aunt was like 'You need to bring a boyfriend with you next time you come home' and my mom would be like 'Or a girlfriend' etc....

Your mom might have put it in the back of her mind completely especially since you outright denied it several times. Did she say why she thought you were a lesbian?