1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your favourite band and why do you like them?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RainbowsFactory, Feb 15, 2017.

1. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yooooooo! Same! Well, actually, for me Streetlight is tied with Bad Religion, though I did start listening to BR because of Streetlight so yeah.

2. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depeche Mode!!!
    They have the best synth pop music ever!

3. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depeche Mode are great! :thumbsup: I listened to them when I was younger a lot.

Anyway, my favorite bands are Nightwish, Within Temptation, Skillet, Tata Bojs (Czech band), Horkýže Slýže (Slovak band). But I like much much more...

Nightwish because it was the 1st band that made me falling in love with metal.
    Within Temptation because I love Sharon's voice.
    Skillet because.. idk I just love them, maybe because of John Cooper's voice.
    Tata Bojs are my favorite since childhood, my dad always played them while in car. My number one band in my native language. Their style, singers, texts and everything...
    Horkýže Slíže are just super funny. I guess only czech or slovak people can get their humour, which is based on lyrics.

If you count singers, then my favorite is Marylin Manson.

4. choni

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh my god time to rant about my favorite band ever, PVRIS. Chances are you haven't heard of them, though. I'll keep this short, but I could go on and on about why I love them.
    I really love the whole vision they have. It goes beyond the music; they put a lot of effort into the visual aspect too. Of course the music itself is great. It's a nice blend of pop, rock, and electronics. It's fun and catchy like pop music but has the emotion, grit, and punch of rock and punk. It's a really modern, refreshing sound. The band members are incredibly talented and humble. Not to mention, the lead singer (who is my avatar) is hella gay. They only have one album out called White Noise, but their second album is recorded and its release is looming on the horizon and highly anticipated :icon_bigg

#24 choni, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  5. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At the moment my favourite band is Walls of Jericho (although this may change).
    They are "metalcore" (although to be honest, I don't know exactly what that means) and their music is super empowering (and as an added bonus, their lead singer is a woman)(That makes me like them more by the way).

6. hollychristina

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The Deftones. I love how eclectic their sound is and Chino Moreno's voice can go from a whisper to a scream. Every album of theirs is so complex and I cant describe their sound without mashing together several genres of music.

7. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Moby has always remained at the top for me since his "18" album which I discovered some fifteen years ago when I was still a foolish and heartbroken teenager.

I don't fully understand why I like his music, I just do. It's something to do with the mood of his music and how it makes me feel. It's like vanilla ice cream on a warm sunny day by the ocean while you're playing with your feet in the water. :slight_smile:

Cult of Luna is my second favorite band, although I haven't been listening to them for that long. Their music is very much in the post-metal and sludge metal genres, so it's not for everyone. I enjoy sludge metal, I like the dark, desperate atmosphere that sludge metal creates and how you can bathe in it. Recently they've moved from sludge to post-metal but the music they've created is excellent. Their penultimate album Vertical is nothing less than perfect in every way possible. It's not as dark as some of their previous work, but it manages to transfer that existential angst which is typical of Cult of Luna.

I could drone about Moby and Cult of Luna for hours so I'm just gonna stop here. :slight_smile:

8. CanadianRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like (early days) Coldplay music. They are absolutely amazing live

9. Luka99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't say I have one favourite band, also it changes over time, but at the moment I listen to Twenty One Pilots a lot. At first just because I liked the music. It was different from the rest for me. Then I also started to pay attention to the lyrics and they hit right at home for me. Esp for example Migraine and Trapdoor.

10. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hocico. it's been my #1 band since really long time.
    I love aggrotech and this band appears to be one of the best bands in the genre to me, I can relate to lots of their songs, + from what I know, both members of this band are nice. it's just awesome.

11. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    the GazettE has been my favourite band since high school. They're a Japanese Visual Kei group. I love their sound, it's always changing, every album is just a little different. They also use a lot of word-play in their lyrics that's fun to look into. (It's not everyday Japanese, it's like old meanings or symbolism.)

Lately though I've really been into One OK Rock and Twenty One Pilots as well.

12. Casey221B

My favourite band is Tegan and Sara. I like them because their songs have really deep lyrics and they don't need to be super talented guitarists with fancy solos and stuff. Also, in general they are really cool as people, plus they don't have a problem with changing their sound, which they've done a lot. They have 8 albums that are all really great, and it's also cool as a gay Canadian twin to listen to a band of gay Canadian twins.

13. Aviator

GORILLAZ cause the art and their videos

14. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My musical mood seems to fluctuate rapidly, heading from brutal Death Metal to glam rock to dark black metal, all the way to Nirvana, Bob Dylan and Infected Mushroom... Marilyn Manson, Babymetal, Muddy Waters, Evanescence, Slayer... and so the list goes on.

But the one band I can listen to no matter what mood I'm in, what time it is... is AMON AMARTH! Not one song or album I don't like and can't listen to over and over again :slight_smile:

15. HopelessDreamer

The first one I can think of is Skillet. I like most of their louder songs, and the messages they carry.

16. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The strokes! I love them i really like all there stuff old and new. I love how they have changed directions in the newier albums.

17. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The birthday massacre- because catchy music

18. JeffMangum220

Ooh, it's time to gush about bands I love. My favorite time of day~ <3

It's often hard for me to pin down my favorite band. My mind usually instantly flicks to Neutral Milk Hotel, but in all honesty, that's just because of one album: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. Of course, that's also my favorite album of all time, so that helps.
    The band's lead singer and songwriter Jeff Mangum has a unique nasal tone to his voice, and amazing lung capacity (just listen to the classic line on "King of Carrot Flowers Parts 2 & 3," it is shocking how long that man can hold a note for). His lyrics are cryptic and extremely emotionally charged, and he sings them with such visceral emotion that there have been times that I have just broken into tears listening to the album. The guitar is infamously simple, but they supplement that with the use of strings and singing saws and tons of compression and distortion. I don't believe that there is a better indie folk record out there.

Other bands that I adore:

The Beatles
    -Completely classic, ingenious songwriting, inventive instrumentation, and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" may be my favorite song of all time.

Gorillaz
    -Two amazing albums, one pretty good one, and The Fall. >_> Humanz looks like it's going to be interesting, but I don't think we're going to get something as unique as Gorillaz or as emotional as Demon Days. Or even as catchy as Plastic Beach.

Joanna Newsom
    -Okay, not a band. But she is my favorite solo performer, every single one of her albums are gold (I suggest Ys to start out with, or maybe Divers), and her voice is one of the strangest voices out there. Mix that with her awe-inspiring harp playing and impressive compositions, and she is easily the best solo performer out there and the best female singer still performing.

I think that's enough gushing for one day... -3-

19. PokemonGuy12345

Gonna be super boring and say the Beatles. They changed my life in every way imaginable. I grew up in a very conservative household and as I became more infatuated by the music when I was younger, I would watch videos of John Lennon online, and of course he was a pretty liberal guy. That changed everything. They're the reason I make and am obsessed with music now, and am pursuing it as a career. The Beatles were like nothing I had ever seen or heard before. They opened me up to so much stuff that changed my life. So many artists, so many ideas, so many concepts. I have absolutely no idea where I'd be without that band. They changed the course of my life forever. Honestly, I owe nearly everything to them. I still watch a lot of John videos on YouTube when I'm bored - I've always related to him a lot, makes me feel a little less alone. I've been really into his solo work lately, too. Him and Yoko were great artists, that's for sure.

Other bands that had a profound impact on me are Nirvana, and the Smiths. I was going through an immensely lonely time in my life, hated myself and who I was. I found Nirvana and the music captured everything I felt, and I felt an immense connection with Kurt. Him and his music was all I had for a long time. I was so lonely and listening to him talk about stuff made me feel understood more. As for the Smiths, I was dealing with sexuality and gender issues at that time, and the music helped so much. It empowers me, makes me feel beautiful and charming. And I've always had a bit of a thing for Morrissey, of course. :icon_wink

Also, JeffMangum220, you have great music taste. NMH is amazing. Personally, my favorite NMH album is "On Avery Island". "Song Against Sex" is my favorite song of theirs, which is off that album. And of course "Naomi" is a GORGEOUS song.

#39 PokemonGuy12345, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  20. JeffMangum220

Oh, thank you! On Avery Island definitely is an amazing album, doesn't get nearly enough praise as it should. I would probably rank "Song Against Sex" above quite a few songs on In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.

Also, I would be remiss to not mention that Oscar Wilde is one of my favorite authors of all time. The Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my all-time favorite books.