1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any words that you have/had difficulty pronouncing?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Xemptor90, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't pronounce "world". The "rld" is simply too hard! >.<

2. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    huh, that's interesting! I'm also from Minnesota, but I pronounce it like "aluminum"

3. Luca00

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not something I have difficulty pronouncing, but rather that I don't know: "buoy"
    How is that supposed to be pronounced like?! :lol:

4. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Apparently when I was really little, I said "fink" instead of "think". I also remember having trouble with Ls and Rs, the key words I remembered tripping over constantly in elementary were "Word" vs "World".

As for currently...I discovered last night I genuinely have no idea how to say cyan. Is it "Kai-ann"? "Sai-ann"? I don't have a clue.

Outside of the English language, かいしゃいん (kaishain, pronounced kai-shine) is the most painful thing for me to say in Japanese. It's not necessarily that it's difficult, I believe I'm saying it right in comparison to what my lessons say, but I hate saying it. It's such a garbled sound.

Other than that, I'll just trip over words in general. I have days where it's like I can't speak at all I trip over so many words.

I have a feeling "Hir" is pronounced like the word "hear" or "here" rather than "her". At least that's how I read it.

Like the word "boo" followed by the letter "e". "Boo-ee". That's a pretty common one that people struggle with :lol:

5. optionthree

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know most places say "boo-ee" but as far as I know in England we say it like 'boy', at least in my family.

I can't pronounce anything with an 'sth' in it, for instance anaesthetic or aesthetic

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't hear the difference between θ (as in thatch) and f sounds (probably thanks to childhood ear infections), so I had trouble pronouncing θ as a child. I learned how to make the θ sound by watching and asking other people how, but I still can't hear the difference from f sounds.

7. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, f*** life, I have a new one. In Japanese.
    どういたしまして (douitashimashite). This one is getting me because of the double "shi". My mouth just doesn't want to. It almost wants to do the freaking Gopher whistle thing (as in the Winnie the Pooh character, depicted in the video linked below).
    https://youtu.be/E7UqHM5bjcY?t=1m34s
    The worst part of struggling to say どういたしまして is because it means "you're welcome" a basic part of speech that is used quite freaking often.
    Ugh...I need to sleep this one off.

#27 AgenderMoose, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  8. Luca00

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the answers! Now I can finally pronounce buoy correctly (!)

9. NoPlaceLikeHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to have both a lisp and a stutter, but I luckily grew out of it.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a hard time pronouncing words with a hard R sound. I used ti have a harder time with them when I was a kid, but speech therapy helped me a lot. I occasionally have issues with S sounds as well.

11. Kann

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm from the south and didn't know that I'd been pronouncing things strange until someone not from here brought it up. For example, 'pen'. I apparently say "pee-in" as in the word pen has two syllables and everyone finds it hilarious. But I do this with so much. Like the word 'on'. Apparently I don't say it like everyone else does and the word 'oil' as well. I also recently realized that I've never said the word 'ticketing' out loud and when I did, I realized I was somehow putting an extra syllable in it by mistake. I laughed at myself for that one. Also, I just can't say rural.

12. Xochipilli

Pepper and aurora. :lol:
    I sound weird to myself when I say them. I feel like aurora comes out stupid, like arrruhruh or something. And pepper becomes peppur. I don't know. It's strange. :lol:

13. matt4907

matt4907 Guest

I have trouble saying "information systems" which is kinda difficult because it comes up a lot in my major at college

14. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    "Sixth Street". Always comes out sounding like "Sick Street". Occasionally I will mispronounce some other words, or just give them my own pronunciation from time to time.

#34 LaurenSkye, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  15. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not in my case, but I am vaguely reminded of middle to high school, a lot of the boys seemed to mispronounce "street" as "skreet". I think the first time or so, I thought they were talking about "walking the skink" instead of "walking down the street"

I don't know how you would walk this, much less fit it on the leash.
    [​IMG]

Aside, and actually in my case, I've been told I have a bit of an accent. People will sometimes ask me to "roll the R" so to speak, but such seems impossible. I will also slip up often mentioning my hypotheses, as I often mispronounce "hypothesis". No Kira, it's not Hippopotamus either. Or "Hyper Seas". Huh, I bet that's a water park.

16. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "Th" sounds, words such as "Three" and "Through" are a nightmare for me. Im still hopeful that that's basically the only issues I have, used to be at a stage where I could barely speak at all so only having that as an issue isn't too bad.

17. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    cue-cumber, queue-cumber?

I have most problems with pronouncing "literally" in an American typical way.

18. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    English is not my first language, so I have quite a few.

Anything with ''th'' in it. Most of the time, I won't even bother and just make a normal ''t'' sound. People seem to understand just fine, so I don't really care.

Then, there are words I just don't know how to pronounce at all, like ''Czech'', for example. Logic would tell me to pronounce it ''kzé'', but no. It's apparently pronounced like the original ''Tcheck''. Well, screw you too, English.

For French, I don't have much problem with pronunciation, but sometimes people can't differentiate between my ''é'' and ''è'' sounds. Some even confuse my ''é'' and ''i'' sounds. Over all, I think it's mostly an accent thing.

For Spanish now... The name Jorge. Seriously, if you have that name, I'm sorry, but I'm calling you George. Otherwise, I'm gonna butcher your name beyond recognition xD Also, Spain's ''z'' is pretty much the same problem as the English ''th'', so I use the Latino pronunciation, no questions asked.

19. Jerry81

Venezuela.

Used to play a ton of serious long-term Risk games with family, and I was ridiculed how I say it so I just quit trying to pronounce it and just said "here" and pointed.

20. Justinian20

Oh my god, I am actually a little bit of a mumbler and I have specific trouble with one word, I always have to repeat it and I always have so much trouble with it. Then someone else says it and I just copy them.

I actually forgot what the word is but I will remember it when I try and say it again.