1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I have a nickname that has nothing to do with my actual name?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shadowgirl37, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Shadowgirl37

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First off, I don't know if this goes in this section so feel free to move it. My birth name is Ava. I think it's a pretty name, I just don't think it suits me at all. I identify probably 85% feminine,15% other, and I wanted to go by a different name, Max. I don't want to legally change my name because it has a deep meaning in my family. Is this ok? Also, how would I go about asking people to call me by a different name, if anyone has experience? I mean like asking friends and teachers, because I know my family will still call me Ava no matter what.

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2017 at 10:52 PM ----------

this is the real one

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2017 at 10:52 PM ----------

Ignore the other

2. actualdust

I think Max is a nice name :slight_smile: It's all up to you whether you legally change it or not, it's totally fine if you don't. I still haven't asked friends and teachers to call me by my preferred name so I don't really have experience, but what I'm planning to do is wait until the next school year and let all my teachers know before class on the first day. Classmates and friends will probably catch on after that. You could also just try correcting them when they call you Ava if you're comfortable with that :slight_smile: Best of luck with everything!

3. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a nickname, that has nothing to do with my real name :slight_smile:

My best friend calls me Joe/Jolly which comes from another forum where we met. I was called Joleen there and that's how my nickname started.
    I think you can have a nickname that has nothing to do with your real name ^^

4. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can be called whatever you like. Most of my nicknames have nothing to do with my real name, so, yea.

5. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, there's no reason why not. If you like the name, it doesn't matter too much.

6. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hated my dead name and anything associated with it, so my nicknames growing up were Marf and Fox. I persisted in using those and ignoring other ones people made until they eventually stuck. Even with my name change people still call me those out of habit. :slight_smile:

7. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see the problem. You do you :thumbsup: And if people don't like it, well...that's THEIR problem. If you'd feel more comfortable with people calling you Max then roll with it (*hug*)

My friends call me Mel (Short for Melissa) and I don't mind, but somehow I wish I had a unique nickname, unrelated to my name. A cooler name if you will. Also, Mel is hard to misspell, unlike my full name so I've made peace with it. My family calls me something else that also links to my real full name but I don't want to mention it here because it's too personal.

I would like to be called Mickey though but that's probably never gonna happen. Would still be cool. For now, I just roll with Mel and my full name :shrug:

#7 Ruby Dragon, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  8. clocky

Why not? My real name is Summer, but my best friend-boy calls me "honey." (It's adorable!)

Also, some people call me Dim-Sum, but that originated from "Sum-Sum" which turned into "Sum-Sum-Dum-Sum" which somebody pronounced wrong and said "Sum-Sum-Dim-Sum" so yeah.

#8 clocky, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  9. Amdukias

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My friends call me Bruce since I came out to them. Some others say Yvy or Marduk (shortforms: Duks or Duki), Manson is also an opinion since some of my selfharming scars reminded a friend of Marilyn Manson (I don't even like that guy, just a few songs maybe but yeah..) At least some friends also call me 'porcupine' cause of my birth name and my hair.

10. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the author CS Lewis disliked his birth name so much (CS stood for Clive Staples) that one day he just told people to call him Jack. From henceforth that was his name, though legally it never changed.

People have nicknames all the time. Often it comes from the given name in some way, but there are plenty of exceptions to this. Just stick with it, and people will come around.

11. TidMaskin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I see no problem with this in case of your friends, lover and other people :slight_smile: Many of my friends call me by a nickname, not the real name and I like it :slight_smile:

12. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do whatever you want. It's your life. You want to be called by a different name, go ahead. And you certainly don't need to ask permission.

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2017 at 01:33 PM ----------

Miley Cyrus's name was actually Destiny, but her nickname was Miley, and that is what she went by. Then she did change it legally, but for a long time it was just a nickname.