1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kanye West

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Pseudojim, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi All, I love you all :slight_smile: I'm sorry I've been so absent, but I hardly spend any time on the internet any more!

Anyway, I have to ask:

I think that Kanye West is a totally egomaniacal fool, and a narcissist. For a long time I didn't bother listening to his music, and just assumed it was as obnoxious as he is. I still sort of wish I thought that way, because it's hard for me to reconcile his atrocious personality with the absolute beauty of his art...

Am I alone in this? I consider myself a man of refined musical tastes, I don't listen to garbage (that's garbage, not Garbage - I do listen to Garbage), and my intellect screams at me not to like Kanye West because he's such a dickhead, but my god... honestly, the man is a genius. Genius might be the wrong word... perhaps savant. Either way, he's a musical prodigy and surely his talent can't be denied.

I hate him. But fuck me if his music doesn't change my world.

Anyone else?

Just want to know if I'm alone in this.

#1 Pseudojim, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What is so good about his lyrics, can u give an example? I heard his rap when hew as new and I was like oh this sounds fresh. But thats about it, then of course the way he shouts on the media...and its....so if I do hear a song I like from him...contradicting feelings.

I dont listen to rap much but as a teenager I did for a while haha, and I still like rap. But not much new stuff I like anymore.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    His lyrics are a mixture of painful (when he's stroking his own ego) and beautiful (when he's just expressing art)

He's a born poet, I think, but often chooses to write about himself. When he directs his art outwards, he actually shines as an artist.

I still have intellectual trouble trying to reconcile his artistic gift with his abominable personality

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2017 at 12:42 AM ----------

Put headphones on and listen to Ultralight Beam

#3 Pseudojim, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  4. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Nice description : D

It makes me curious because I keep hearing how " Genius " he is but the fact he called himself genius over and over ...... but you know the feeling..you describe it already. And you do listen so! Thanks! I will listen to that one tonight.

5. LuciferMorningstar

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Power and stronger are my two favorite songs of him. I hope one day I'm just as egocentrical and narcassistic as he is :grin: but his music isn't really my style

6. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Most superstar talents have big egos I can't fault him for that. Not sure how true his mental problems are but I wish him well. Did make my life better with Dropout, Registration, Graduation, and Dark Fantasy but imho he'll never get better than those albums. Do see him not taking criticism well but outside of his character he makes decent music imho.

7. ThinWhiteDuke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    'A lot of artists, especially the immensely talented, are "difficult." It's not a new concept, but maybe one more people are paying attention to. For example, John Lennon was an absolutely horrible person who abused his wife and neglected his children, similarly, Miles Davis was abominable behind closed doors. Artistic greatness often comes hand in hand with difficult behavior and questionable actions.

Compared to the above, the worst Kanye can be accused of is leaning too heavily on his ego and occasionally saying something deeply stupid. Personally, I used to find him insufferable but I've grown to find his outbursts and rants endearing, it's part of his artistry. Plus I do find all his rants about trying to help people with his music genuine and mostly admirable.

Good rule of thumb not to try to marry your morals to the artists you admire, generally.