1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drop the T of LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jaska, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People tend to ignore your last sentence you wrote. This is a huge reason for inclusion among the others. Trans people are not always straight.

2. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm responding to what is in bold.

I think you are woefully misinformed about furries and seem to think furries are all "otherkin".

I'm a furry and know full well that I'm a human. My fursona and anything surrounding it is something done for fun. It's a fandom.

Unless you meant it shouldn't be included because it is a fandom, what you said would exclude quite a few LGBT people.

3. Cass1D

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'll throw my opinion in with the mountain of "While sexuality and gender are not the same issue, keeping them under one umbrella is best for awareness and access to support." Although I've heard once or twice mention the acronym "GSRM" (Gender, Sexual, and Romantic Minority). Has that caught on, in anyone else's experience?

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Um, how can sexuality and gender not be the same issue? Cause aside from asexuals, you really need gender for the whole sex thing to work in the first place. Its kind of hard to have sex without the sex parts, no matter how you and your partner put them together.

The larger the community, the larger the lobbying body it can develop to support laws protecting that group.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the OP raises a good point. It's sort of a different place. And then it isn't. It's different because a transgendered person could have a heterosexual preference. And then it isn't because it's about gender expression and GLB people sometimes are identified by how they express gender.

A person could then also say that the inclusive grouping is good because it helps get resources (get togethers, counseling, etc.) to transgendered people.

The one that is perplexing is how the grouping is mostly shown as LGBT. I've seen it as GLBT. That's what I think it should be. There is more of G than there is of L and probably more of each than there is of B. But many people seem to doing a lot of the B thing these days. No polls or studies have a real handle on this.

6. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    2 of my letters aren't even in the short acronym. D and P. since I'm Demisexual and Panromantic.

7. scxred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When you remember the involvement of transwomen and non binary identities in the advancement and fight for gay rights suddenly dropping the 'T' in LGBT isnt suitable..

8. Cass1D

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Maybe I should've clarified my statement a little more. I was referring to when people conflate sexuality and gender identity (like the idea that a trans woman is actually a gay man). While there are a lot of trans* people who identify as homosexual, bisexual, etc, it isn't necessarily a given. There's certainly a strong rationale to stick together as a community, regardless, and I wouldn't want to push trans* people out of the umbrella, especially considering what we might be seeing in the US over the next four years.

9. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I don't know if somebody said this already, but some of us transfolks identify as gay/lesbian at some point. Say we have a straight trans guy. Before he figures out he is actually a dude he thinks he's a lesbian.

10. Flowey

Lettuce Gherkin Bacon Tomatoes. The tomatoes help freshen up the taste, provide vitamins, no need to drop a perfectly healthy ingredient.

11. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I disagree with you. I think the T should stay in LGBT because without it, it gives the impression that they're not worthy of inclusion. I understand your point about inclusion of sexuality, though. To leave the T out would also mean finding a more inclusive way to include them in another acronym. The transgenders should be included because they are just as much subject to discrimination just like gays, lesbians, and bisexuals. They are probably 10X's more subject to discrimination because of their transgender identity.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that transgendered people are probably much more subject to discrimination. Most people have known or known about LGB people throughout their lives.

Many people don't know transgendered people. I don't believe I have ever known any.

13. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im going to reply with a resounding NO!

Trans people started Stonewall, Trans people have been there since the beginning of the modern lgbT movement. we supported all others and continue to do so, now we need the support of the rest of the greater community in our push for equality.

it seems that now that things like marriage equality the, seemingly, holy grail of the whole gay movement over the past 20 odd years is achieved, so many seem quick to kick the T's to the curb, it's not a sexuality thing so..... seems to be the position of far too many, y'all needed us, we started it for all of us, now we need your help and support. sort of a quid pro quoe.

we are stronger together, lets not break up what has been a winning team here in the 7th inning.
    (&&&)

#33 looking for me, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  14. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do understand what you are saying but I want it to stay.

The struggles are the same. We are picked on and bullied, called sinners and told we are going to hell, beating and/or killed, abused by partners because of who we are, have to come out, face rejection, face higher rates of drug abuse/homelessness/unemployment. We need to stay banned together as LGBT, because in the end we are all fighting to be accepted for who we are.

And let us not forget that there are many transgender people are bi/pan. They are as part if the LGB as they are the T.
    There are those who before realizing they were trans identified as Gay or Lesbian and now are seen as straight. They were very much apart of the LGB community as they currently are to the T community, and they still feel a connection to the LGB because of the bonds formed.
    And there are those that, before they knew they were trans though themselves straight, but one identify as Gay or Lesbian. They are apart of the LGB as well as the T.

So while sexuality does not make one transgender, it is false to say that there is no connection between the two. By saying the T should be dropped from LGB it feels like you are saying that you can only be one or the other, while for many it the truth is is that they are both.

And every time someone talks about dropping the T it does sent a chilling bolt of fear through me. Fear that I am being reject by people who I view as friends and family. I fear that it means they are withdrawing their support. That they are saying to the world "we agree, they're crazy. We don't want them either". It feels like we are unwanted by those who face similar issues as we do, and it is a painful thought to bear.

I love my LGB and T friends. I want use to stand together and not be divided.

---------- Post added 7th Feb 2017 at 01:32 PM ----------

Holy hell I love this lmao.

15. LiamC

I get that they are different, but it only creates more problems if you try and divide the community up even further. It should be about solidarity, standing together united as a collection of oppressed minorities, not about dividing people up even further into more groups. If we all want to be fully accepted in society we should set an example but being fully accepting within our community...

16. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't follow the logic. The alphabet soup also doesn't include a C for computer nerds, but computer nerds aren't always straight...not specifically including them isn't the same as excluding them. If a transperson is gay, lesbian, or bisexual, then they would obviously be part of the group referred to by LGB (i.e., they would not be excluded by the fact that they are not specifically included, any more than any other group).

That said, I *fully support* keeping the T in LGBT!! For all the wonderful reasons others have pointed out.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2017 at 05:34 PM ----------

Thirty years ago most people would have said they don't believe they know any LGB people...but they did.

Today, you say you don't believe you don't know any transpeople. I'd be stunned if you don't...you just don't know that you do.