1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Trump To Legalize Discrimination

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sonic1337111, Feb 2, 2017.

1. AnguishXx

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get along well with the Pastafarians.

2. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean. I don't know how I really feel about it but okay.

3. Jellal

I support religious freedom and I dislike government strong-arming people to betray their own principles. But I have reservations about this ... unfortunately, there are some people who will use this as license to exclude LGBT from vital services. Access should be equal for housing, healthcare, etc. I think most everyone in the country would agree with me on that regardless of political affiliation.

#23 Jellal, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This so much. I cannot stress how hypocritical these people are...

5. YeahpIdk

If it has to do with eating pasta, I'm there.

6. AnguishXx

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It has to do with using religious freedom to defend tolerance (and also with eating pasta, it's the sacred food) :slight_smile:
    The traditional pastafarian family is made by any number of people, regardless of their gender identity and their sexual orientation.

#26 AnguishXx, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2017
  7. xenu

You might like them. They promise beer volcanoes and stripper factories in the afterlife.

8. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Idk i'm not sure even if Trump wants to legalize discrimination that he will be able to. But i grew up with conservative religious parents so i have a bit of a different opinion here. I think there should be specific, well thought out standards and specific, equally well thought out and organized and enforceable ways to show them. So that both religious beliefs and LGBT people have protections but are still required to respect each other.

Like...there was once an incident i read of where an employee at a bakery refused to bake a cake for a gay couple, i think it was. I think provided this was for religious reasons, something should have been done to (1) protect the rights of the gay couple, and (2) protect the religious rights/freedoms of the employee. Like...an employee who for religious reasons cannot perform a particular job function (like serving members of the LGBT community) must sign a contract with their non-religiously-affiliated business of employment explaining this so they cannot be forced to disobey their religion, but will still be expected to be polite and locate another employee, as quickly and efficiently as possible, to serve the customers. Perhaps something small, random, and standardized like a pin or something to wear on a shirt or work vest or whatever it is called that bakers wear (i just woke up, i cant think).

Same can be said for religiously affiliated businesses and small family owned businesses. Especially in the case of family owned small businesses, they should have their religious rights to deny service protected provided this will not badly damage the people who denied services' ability to find equal, alternative businesses to get whatever it was done. Like a barber or in my area there's a small business that's religiously affiliated christian store that this might apply to. They should have the ability to deny service, under contract, with standards and expectations, provided the customer can find equal and comparable service within a set area (say for barbers or christian books/merch/etc within so and so number of miles).

This is my opinion on it, though. Just as i think they should be expected to treat us with courtesy, we should not expect those with concrete reasons (like religion) to just throw it aside for the sake of our comfort. What does everyone else think of this? Provided its reasonable i think it would be cool if this were one day law. Something comparable, anyways, to protect both parties. So religious people can have their religion and deny service rights but still be expected be polite and have standards and only if the customer can find comparable service either elsewhere nearby or with a different employee.

9. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree that there needs to be some middle ground, sometimes I feel the fight for tolerance is almost becoming the opposite. People have their beliefs, and I would hope everyone would just not bother to reject people or be impolite. But the fact is that they need to feel acknowledged to in their own ways. It will only be more damaging if the fight only is about, accept LGBT and give us everything or else you are worthless.

Just as well as a Muslim woman can reject or work at a female only hairdresser, or a victim of sexual assault can perhaps not work around men. Just a few examples.

Indeed given that it does not block this person from getting the service needed, or hurts a person to severe.

That is freedom is it not?

10. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    How far should this go? Can we reject serving someone because of their color as well? What if my religious beliefs prevent me from serving someone of a particular race?

Remember that religion is a CHOICE. Sexuality is not a choice.

What if we refuse to serve someone because they are a Christian? Can you imagine how much Christians would revolt?

#30 KyleD, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  11. Linkmaste

While you have a valid point, I want to point out the fact that these people who have deep religious beliefs were shoved and forced to grin and bear the fact they have to accept LGBTQ and others. That holds resentment, which in turn holds this gasp to take a word of a man who will say he will put THEM first instead of the LGBTQ.

I think we might have went a little over board. I seen POC, women, LGBTQ, hurt white, male, christian, straight, cis gendered folk for just being that. They were targeted that they were ignorant, would never understand and that they deserve to feel ashamed of who they were even if they never actually preformed any discrimination or hate.

My (ex) husband was actually targeted and he's a sweet, sweet guy. But this POC woman just tore into him and I had to step up and say I was a LGBTQ woman and had to put here in her place-

sorry off topic. Discrimination is wrong on BOTH SIDES. We can't discriminate people because of their religious beliefs and people with religious beliefs can't discriminate us because of our sexuality or gender. We both are in the wrong here-and making the other's head pushing deeper into the dirt won't solve problems.

No one likes a compromise but I believe a compromise would be efficient. Healthcare, and public services cannot discriminate on LGBTQ or religious affiliations. However, if you really want a cake? Go to the other baker would be happy to serve you-it's not a life or death case.

Like I said-I'm not for Trump's discrimination but I think we have to shoulder some responsiblity for all these people who felt like they were treated like dirt.

If you call someone a monster long enough they become a monster and believe it.

12. lawlight

Do y'all really think that all businesses will immediately tell all LGBTQ+ people to get the heck out? I think not. Not only would there be a massive public backlash, there would consequently be fewer customers and thus less profit. This would, at the very least, apply to larger companies with public visibility; smaller, local businesses in conservative areas might be a completely different story.

I agree with Linkmaste about how there should be a compromise, but I'm pretty sure it actually already exists. Public services all rely on some sort of government funding, be it state or federal, and thus are subject to Title VI- which, in short, states that government funded businesses cannot discriminate based on race (Title VI). It doesn't state anything for LGBTQ+ protections, but there are states (These ones) that protect against anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination in medical situations, and, even when states attempt to allow discrimination, the people speak out against it (For example, this).

With these 'protections' in place, I don't think the government can push too far, even despite the supposedly conservative "silent majority". It's going to be eerily reminiscent of the Jim Crow area if signs claiming "no gays allowed" start showing up, wouldn't it be?

tl;dr: There are protections at the state level in place for queer people that, even if the federal government no longer upholds, will still exist. Even if not, hopefully people will start waking up and realising that they can't stay silent in the face of oppression.

As for those living in deeply conservative states...Washington state's pretty nice this time of year. (I really don't know how to contribute to the conversation in regards to that area, sorry)

---------- Post added 15th Feb 2017 at 11:08 PM ----------

EDIT: I was wrong, thereis discrimination against transgender people specifically, and queer people in general. x, x, x.

Also, the fight for equality rests with the people, now. Cases such as the one with the cake have already been shown to cause greater visibility, public backlash, and people speaking out; it is my hope that if more similar cases pop up in the future, people will continue reacting as such.

13. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Religion has been used to justify a lot of horrible acts ranging from slavery to genocide. Most of the homeless population below the age of 18 are LGBTQ who have been forced out of their homes because they are gay. Discrimination is wrong on both sides but there is a huge imbalance of power right now and society needs to recognize that. Religious discrimination has lead to the death of thousands of LGBTQ persons worldwide.

14. Linkmaste

Valid points. But what do you want to do? Kill religion? Make it illegal to pray and believe?

How does forcing a Christian woman bake a cake for a gay couple get a homeless LGBTQ kid off the street?

If this law comes into effect, there will be provisions protecting LGBTQ specifically. Pence (as much as I hate this guy and I really do) edited his bill to have consequences for religious groups who target LGBTQ.

Do I agree with this? No, I really don't but it shows that people care and respect the LGBTQ community and what it went through. I myself I had to go through temporary homelessness because I'm gay but I was smart about it.

Remember, the religious community was pushed into corners and forced and that brought on their resentment. I'm not saying it's right but that's where they're coming from. All they needed was one big voice telling them it was okay to feel this way and there-you have their protest.

15. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I want religious people to treat gay people as equal before the law. If your religion is based around spreading hate against a certain group of people then that should be illegal. This is the case in a lot of Latin American countries. In my opinion I don´t think that homophobic people should have children. Some gay people are mentally strong like you but not everyone is so strong and lots of gay people don´t survive that sort of stuff.

16. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The idea of a law put in place to legally discriminate against a group of people is absolutely ridiculous and unconstitutional. There's only one "plus" I could see and it isn't really even a plus lol. I don't want to go to any restaurant or company that doesn't accept gay people so if they want to discriminate against me due to my sexuality, go ahead and say they hate gay people. Show their true colors. I want nothing to do with them and I don't want to give them my business or money. At least I would know that they're bigots outwardly and not just silent bigots taking my gay money.

But obviously the idea of this law is ridiculous and the justice system would hopefully overturn it if it happens.

17. CurdledMilk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know what they say about extremely homophobic people, they are just closeted gays who say and do all this shit to make themselves "not gay"