1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Brexit trigger passed overwhelmingly by U.K. House of Commons

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aussie792, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/...-parliaments-ok-on-brexit-bill.html?ref=world

It looks like the wrangling over an obvious constitutional point, that Parliament's approval must be gained for any substantive changes to the rights of British citizens, was unnecessary.

2. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad they did vote overwhelmingly for it: hopefully that'll silence Tim Farron and the like. This has made me regain my trust in democracy because MPs that formerly wanted to stay in the EU have voted with the people to start the journey. My local MP is an example.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the constitutional issue has been resolved, but there will be an awful lot of wrangling now over the precise terms of the Brexit negotiations. Even before yesterdays vote the SNP had 50+ amendments lined up and you can be sure Labour and the Liberal Democrats will chuck quite a few more onto the pile. In the House of Commons the government has a majority and they should be able to force it all through, but it's a very different picture in the House of Lords.

In the end, the government will get it through parliament, but it will not be a smooth process and I expect there will be an attempt to guillotine debate. If every amendment is fully debated and voted on in both houses the process could drag on and on for weeks.

4. CyclingFan

Brexit is still dumb as hell, but as an American I cannot cast too many aspersions. Trump and all.

Congrats on cutting yourself off from Europe, btw. Looks like y'all are Trump fans like us now.

5. Harve

May has stated that she wants the EU to succeed, but if the UK ever goes full on anti-EU (not quite the same as Brexit) in the same way that Trump's administration or Putin have, then if personal circumstances allow, I'll probably just leave the country. If indeed the UK still exists in the future.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I struggle to imagine May going crazy - hers is the most controlled of the possible hard Brexits and doesn't leave room for a hard-right backlash - and she will breeze through the coming elections, whether she calls them early or sticks to the fixed elections law.

I very much doubt the May Government will ignore the economic, security and cultural imperatives of close ties to the E.U. and the support of its institutional integrity. And given it's probably going to be the only British government around for quite some time, I don't think that sort of insane, hard-line wrecking is too much of a concern.

7. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How does not wanting to have many of your laws influenced by Brussels make you a Trump fan? I think Donald Trump is as bonkers as the next person, but it's not very nice to be accused of liking him because you love your country enough to want it to be independent from the fruitless gravy train which is the EU. Thanks for the congratulations by the way. Make sure you have some left over for other European nations when they join us.

8. Joelouis

I'm not nearly as apprehensive about Brexit as I was when the vote to leave first became reality. Now I do see opportunities in going a different direction.
    I'm sure a lot of "leavers" want the EU to collapse when the UK finally leaves but I don't. I genuinely believe Mrs May when she says she wants the EU to succeed.