1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you know your name was you?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Quniverse, Jan 31, 2017.

1. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually did not intend to have two, it just happened. lol. It's pretty, strong, and powerful, just like it's bearer. :wink:

2. randomconnorcon

The hyphen in my old middle name made it sound like one name, but it was capitalized as two, which is why the first middle name I thought of having (Leigh-Anne to Leigh-Andrew) was written the same way. But when I scrapped it, I didn't set out on having two separate middle names. I just happened to find myself in a situation where I had ties to two names (one familial tie and one personal tie) and chose not to pick between them.

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think because it's hard to narrow it down when you get to choose. Plus some people like to incorporate their old names somehow or a family member's etc and it seems like a compromise.

4. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ---------- Post added 2nd Feb 2017 at 02:46 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Also I don't get the fascination with trans people having 2 middle names...[/QUOTE]

Mine is sort of two middle names...technically it's Seth Hope as my first name and Alexander as my middle name but over the past year I've sort of dropped the Hope as my first name and just used Seth. Hope has always been my middle name and I've always loved it but I love Alexander too and tried it out as a first name for a while. It didn't work so I demoted it to middle name.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still don't get the predilection for it. I mean you are always welcome to name yourself whatever you want. Just making an observation.

But then again to each their own.

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    when they named me as a baby i only got a first name, the only one in the family, so when i got to choose i gave myself a middle name. Sarah Dena __________

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2017 at 12:21 AM ----------

just to add; i totally see why folks would want more than one middle name give so many choices. and it's not totally unknown in the cis world, my mom has 3 or 4.

7. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My one friend tried talking me out of it. "Why do you need all those names, trust me it'll get annoying." I see where he's coming from, as he has a hyphenated last name, but I told him thanks but no thanks.

It's Brooke Victoria Lexa, and that's NOT changing.....if anything I'd drop Victoria though, I love the name Lexa too much, and Brooke Lexa sounds pretty.

8. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Originally my middle name was gonna be my first name but my parents wanted it to be my current first name (i wish they went with what my older brother wanted i personally prefer that one)

9. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went through long lists of baby names on many multiple . I knew I wanted something Celtic/Welsh/ish, since that was my given name. I kept reading through until something grabbed me.

My first two ideas didn't feel right, but the next round seems to have settled into my bones.

I doubt I will ever use them in public, though. It's just too hard to change an entire identity. I've changed my name before, as a kid/adolescent, but it never stuck, and I felt awkward using it.

10. Poetry Bandit

I've struggled with gender identity for years and finally came out as trans around Christmas. I've had issues with choosing a name as well. I started out choosing Finnick, then drifted to Kian, and now I'm thinking Wylder might work best for me. It's all just one big mess to try and figure out with so many names to choose from. My suggestion is to take your time and don't rush trying to pick a name you may end up regretting later on. :icon_bigg

11. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I came across Emily when searching for middle names (I was originally going to just feminise my birth name), and it just felt right straight away. I think because when I pictured an Emily, the women I pictured were the type of women I really wanted to be.

I didn't realise there was a trans trend for two middle names tbh :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I have two, but for a reason. My given middle name is actually a family surname passed down from my grandfather (his mother's maiden name), so I wanted to keep it. It can (rarely) be used as a boy's first name also though, so I wanted a more feminine middle name to precede it (Olivia).

#31 IvorySteel, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  12. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went with Alex at first, this was a long time ago when I had no idea that being transgender even existed. So, considering my birth name is a male only name, I chose a gender neutral name until I learned that I was transgender, that's when I changed it to Alexa.

#32 Blood Elf, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  13. Lazuri

My birthname is Robin, which is not only a gender neutral name, but also way more common on women than men.

However, I still felt like I wanted a new name. New chapter, new me, new name; it felt fitting.

Unlike a lot of people in this thread, I didn't really pick a name that sounded right to me, but rather something that holds a lot of symbolic meaning to me. The name "Alice" reminds me of Alice in Wonderland, which fits me as I constantly drift into worlds of my own making.

But more than anything, it reminds me of a certain character from my early teens. This may sound stupid, but back then I was really into an anime called "Rozen Maiden." It's about living dolls created by a doll maker who attempted to make the perfect girl, a being he referred to as "Alice." He tried several times, but failed each time and eventually decided the dolls should battle each other to decide who is the perfect one and the winner would be declared Alice. Among them was Suigintou--Suigintou was the first doll he made, but he never finished her. He erased her design and left her incomplete and never gave her life, but despite that, she came to life of her own accord. The other dolls shunned her and called her "junk" and said that she was broken for being incomplete and Suigintou vows to become Alice to prove that she isn't junk; that she isn't broken; that she can be perfect too.

I always really liked her, but never really knew why. It wasn't until much later that I understood that I was actually relating to her. I also felt like I was broken, incomplete and junk--a cruel joke by whatever it was that made me. But now, every time I hear the name "Alice" I am reminded not to give up and to fight to reach my own ideal me; to show myself and everybody else that I am not broken and that even I can reach my own idea of perfection.

14. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my dad has 2 middle names, he only uses one though

15. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I was named Wiebke Josefa Elisabeth by my parents and pretty much everyone in my family and half the people I know have multiple names ( though most don't use them at all).
    Names that hold a special meaning or family tradition are usually given that way, the Elisabeth in my name is for example due to 8 women in a mother-daughter succession having that first name in my mother's line. Since my mother found it annoying to have the same first name as my mother she gave me a different first name but kept it as a middle name due to the tradition of it.
    As such it makes sense for trans people to have many middle names because you'd want to pick something meaningful but might not be comfortable being called that name as a first name, so you make it a middle name as a compromise.

16. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm personally a fan of the two middle names. I think it makes a name more interesting, and also I LOVE my new name so much. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I see a name I really like, maybe even one I like better, I can't bring myself to change it. It's mine. There are others like it, maybe even better than it, but this one is mine.

17. Lazuri

I was actually given two middle names already when I was named, having two middle names is common in Sweden and I actually can't think of anybody whose middle names I know that doesn't have two.

18. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose my name because it's symbolic of my favorite thing in life, and my spiritual beliefs. Just so happened to also be a rad gender-neutral name too

19. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wad always jealous of people who had the name Alex. I thought it the coolest name ever. But more than anything I loved the name Alexander. I use to wish I was named Alexander, which I knew was stupid since I thought myself a girl.
    I actually had an internal argument about the name with myself in 6th grade. I was thinking I could just ask if I could change my name to Alexandria, everyone could call me Alex, and no one would actually have to know that I meant it to be Alexander. I would think about this till I was 13.
    When I was 14 my mom talked to me and my brother's about if we wanted to change our last names, we had been disowned by our father and his family so she saw no reason for us to keep hid name. In the end we decided that after so many years we were use to it so might as well just keep. I decided the same for my female name.

But when I discovered I was trans I knew right away that Alexander had to be my name. It took a while to realize that I didn't want it as a first name.
    My first name was harder to come by. I tried, and then rejected, several names of characters I wrote for. I felt like naming myself after them was me trying to be like them. The name Ryan came from the fact that I watch a few youtubeer with the name Ryan. I did really like the name and when I combined it with Alexander (Ryan Alexander) I discovered that I really liked it. Yet for a long time Incas uncertain because when combined with my last name I hated it.
    I have sense decided that there is nothing wrong with Ryan Alexander, and that my last name is what must go.

20. Lazuri

Leif? That name is common in Sweden and I've literally never heard of it applied to a woman. It's a pretty exclusively masculine name. Even wikipedia states it as a male given name.