1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Writers here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bunnydee, Jan 31, 2017.

1. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I want to write a book. I've been through a lot in my life and I think it would be a great read and maybe help others. I mean not only my coming out journey, but I have survived a ten year death sentence from a diagnosis of SLE, I also survived a major car accident where my head supported the weight of the vehicle until I was pulled out which caused temporary blindness and a succession of strokes until my brain healed. I've been through a lot and every time I come through it stronger than before.

But I don't know if I want it to be fiction or non-fiction or even where to start. When I think non-fiction I think technical or autobiographical and I don't want it to be like reading a medical journal. When I think fiction based on non-fiction I don't think I could include many of the things I would want to include.

Any suggestions are where to start or how to get the writing going?

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My best suggestion on where to start is to go to the library and check out any book that interests you. Look for narrative nonfiction and memoirs because those might be categories you'd be interested in writing for.

When it comes to the actual writing, the only answer is to write. Put yourself in front of a computer or a notebook and just do it. Everyone has their own process whether it's writing whatever comes into your head, outlining first, or a combination of the two. You have to find what process works best for you and your book. Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't actually write but whenever I do writing assignment I often get a compliment that I'm a good writer.

4. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I write, sporadically but still it's writing haha

I find ideas about what to write come to me when it's on the back burner - when I'm not specifically thinking about it but it's still on my mind. I might have been writing earlier in the day, but later (when I'm doing chores or something) an ideal comes to me.

I'd have a look at things you want to include, read up about them and keep it on your mind, even if it's just a few minutes of thought each day.

5. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Writer, right here :slight_smile:

Since I'm not really a non-fiction reader/writer I would go for fictional. It does sound pretty hard what you've been through (I would by that book :grin:)

I'm not sure how you can't include some things you want to include... sometimes you should just try it. Maybe it's working perfectly ^^
    Good luck!

6. Naos210

I'd say stick to fiction. There's always realistic fiction, where you can base it on real events, or fanfiction, which is based on fiction that already exists. Although, I'm more a songwriter than a book writer.

7. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't really give you much advice about the writing itself, but the one thing I would suggest is don't give too much thought to the fiction/non fiction thing and don't see it as an either-or kind of thing. You seem to have this idea that there are only two specific writing styles you can choose from, when really you should just write about whatever you want, in whatever way you want. Just start writing and then see how you can arrange everything into a book.

If you really want an answer to the fiction/non-fiction question, though, I'd personally go for non-fiction. Writing about your own experiences and feelings makes for a real and authentic story that I think a lot of people will definitely appreciate.

Good luck!

8. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I would say to write non-fiction. Be authentic in your writing. Just let the words flow from the heart. I like to write myself.

9. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a writer of novels, and I'm on the way to getting my first book published. The way I started my first complete novel (after abandoning many books previously) was that I found a book that interested me and really inspired me to write a book of my own. I've been writing all my life but it was thanks to that one book that I finally completed a novel. So I suggest you take a look at your library or bookstore, and pick out a bunch of books that may interest you. Explore different writing styles and genres, as well as how fiction and non-fiction novels set each other apart, or combine depending on whatever you want to do. Ultimately the first step to writing is to figure out what sort of a piece you want to write.

10. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :slight_smile: I used to write but haven't been lately. My writing partner moved away a few years ago and I've done virtually no writing since... I just can't, I've absolutely no drive.

A memoir perhaps? Realistic fiction?

11. Candace

I have 72 page word document on my computer. My book was going to have five main characters. When that's published, I'd write five separate books for each main character. I'd release those five books on the same day and you'd get to choose which one you'd want to read. Pretty cool, huh?

12. ProffersCentral

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I suggest you start by jotting down some ideas or parts in a notebook or on the computer. Then, when you look through your ideas, something should pop out to link some ideas together and form a plot. At least that's how I do some short story writing assignments.

13. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Anyone want to read a little of what I got so far and see if it is worth continuing?

14. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm up to taking a look. Though I'm not sure how I'd get to it as we can't PM each other.

15. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks
    I posted the first writings today in my blog here
    Work in Progress

Let me know if you can see it.

16. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just read it. I reckon it has good potential. Let me know if you want any more feedback, I also posted on your wall about it.

17. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks, any feedback is welcome and appreciated. It is just rough draft from writing last night so still work in progress.

---------- Post added 6th Feb 2017 at 01:50 PM ----------

Added: I am actually a published non-fiction writer in the agricultural world. First time going to try fiction.

18. Butterfly2016

I write anime based fanfictions.

19. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I write fiction usually or philosophical stuff, and sporadically lately. One tip just start writing, doesnt matter what. Keep on typing, dont mind the grammar. Just go, and then think about it again what it is you want or need.

#19 PianoKeys, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2017