1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did anyone here come out to their parents first?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Jan 31, 2017.

1. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents and sister were #s 3-5

2. Linkmaste

Came out to best friends then parents. They weren't accepting so second time around did everyone but my parents last. They were a little hurt but I didn't want them to reject me again.

3. MulticoloredSox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my mom first since she's sort of my rock and I knew she wouldn't have a problem with it.

4. Firepit5

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Every family is different love. There are no generalizations, period. My DD told me at barely 11 years old. I think she knew it made no difference and also that I would slay anyone that tried to hurt her.

5. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ...Yes and no? So the way it went for me was...coming out and discovering my sexuality happened in one quick moment. This is gonna be long, so prepare.

So, I mentioned this in another thread, but my first relationship was essentially what started everything. A friend of mine expressed interest in me, and I had a moment where I kinda panicked because A. I had never been asked out or flirted with really before, and B. I had never considered a relationship with a girl. So, I talked to a different one of my friends and was like "What do I do I think I like her back but I'm confused". Said friend helped me clear my mind and that's how I understood that I do feel attraction to girls as well, and that's also how my first relationship started.

I already knew that my parents (my mom and step dad, because my biological dad I don't consider as my parent) were open to homosexuality and such. But I was still a little nervous because I didn't know what they'd say about me being with a girl. But, after a bit of courage, I brought it up. This is literally how the conversation went:
    • "So...I have a girlfriend now"
    • "A girlfriend?"
    • "Yea."
    • "...So...are you...gay?"
    • "Uhm...I think I might be bisexual or something...?"
    • "...Okay."
    It was...really straightforward. And since that was my first time really talking about my sexuality, I guess that my parents were the first people I came out to?

As for my gender, my parents were definitely not the first. It was my friend (the same one who helped me out with my first girlfriend situation, hilariously enough) who I said it first to, because she was the one who kinda helped me collect my thoughts when I was questioning.

6. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to one person (a doctor). Then they told my parents and my parents told my siblings. I was gone for a couple weeks, so I had no clue I was out. I'm not out as trans to anybody at my school. They know I like girls, but not that I'm not a girl. (Being gay in school is now almost completely accepted, transgender is a joke to everybody.)

7. Sumera

I never really "came out" to my mother because she always told me "love is when you really like a girl or a boy" so I never really came out because my mother never cared about the gender of my significant other. When I started dating my girlfriend I just told her "it's a girl" and she said "ok, nice, have fun".

But I came out to my father (my parents are separated) and I was really really scared... I told him I was dating a girl and he was shocked and didn't ask any questions about her, instead he just didn't talk at all. But two days after I saw him again and he told me he was happy for me and he wanted to meet her.

And now all my friends know and I don't care about people knowing about it.
    (but it's ok because I live in a safe place, I know some people can't come out because of hate crimes...)

Everybody is different so for some people talking with their family is easier but for others it's easier to talk to friends first! I think that at least if a friend rejects you it's ok, but when the family you love rejects you it's worse because it means your own blood is rejecting you...

8. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With my sexuality, my mom was the first person I came out to, and my dad was the third, with my sister being the second. This was all in the same night.

#28 Rowe, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017