1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Whitehouse.gov takes down LGBT page

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Linus, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a sad day for many people...
    However what I found to be upsetting(Among many, many other things) was that the whitehouse page had not only taken the climate change webpage down, but also the webpage for the LGBT community and progress.
    I don't typically get politically involved... but I'm a little worried. (That's an understatement.)

Some people might say that Trump doesn't mean all the things that he says, or that he wouldn't try to take back the equal marriage law... I don't want to start an argument with those people. (I probably wouldn't win in any case, because I don't pay enough attention to current events, particularly when it involves every little word that comes out of Trump's mouth.) However... The fact that he would deliberately take down that webpage disturbs me. There's nothing good that can come out of that.

And there's other pages gone; civil rights, HIV/AIDS, Climate change, Council on Women and Girls...

Yes, I know... The world still spins... I'm still very concerned with what's happening to it.

Thoughts, anyone?

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before you Cry Wolf, Obama's Staff took down all of Obama's White House webpages - standard procedure during a Presidential changeover. The Trump Staff hasn't really had a chance to establish their new webpages yet. They initially started with the Trump Campaign webpages as a baseline replacement, but it will still take a lot of time to build all of the new Trump Administration webpages.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah okay.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay. Thanks.

6. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The pages may come back once the Trump administration has had enough time to consider what to put online. Right now, the best thing we can do is to stop worrying and hope for the best.

7. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was taken down because the site got a new administrative team. It's normal for stuff to get archived when there is a new president. Who knows, maybe he will create a new one of his own. But the old one was for stuff Obama did, so it got archived.

8. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The ¨Climate Change¨ page has been replaced with ¨An America First Energy Plan.¨

https://www.whitehouse.gov/america-first-energy

9. Jellal

That's not surprising. Not once on Trump's campaign did he ever promise to work on climate change ... if anything he gave the whole spiel about it being a total fabrication/myth.

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm upset, but not surprised. He never gave a shit about us to begin with.

11. backdrop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    one side tells me that he doasnt care about people of LGBT or the fact of civil rights being on the LOWEST PART OF HIS LIST .Meaning , things of the civil rights nature may still stay ( besides roe versus wade ).

12. killswitch0029

Thank you for mentioning this Quantum, I've had to explain the same thing to quite a few people. Once Trump gets settled in we'll start to (hopefully) see some of the webpages come back.

13. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here's the thing though...I'm not worried about this administration's stance on LGBT rights because "what if they overturn marriage equality??". I don't give a hoot about marriage equality. Granted, I'm glad we have it, but at this point, I'm less interested in marriage, which is a system that doesn't really appeal to me anyway, and more interested in...various other legal rights and protections that have yet to be given to the trans community? The erasure of bisexuals? Federal protections against discrimination that extend to the entire LGBT community?

I'm tired of other people acting like marriage equality was the single biggest step for LGBT equality, like nothing else can be done and the right to marry means all equal rights have been gained. There's just so much left to fight for.

14. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with clockworkfox, but this is still a big step back. Marriage equality was still a step toward equality, it ends the discrimination that only heterosexual marriages are real marriages. On the other hand, it is just a "small" part of the "overall" LGBT rights.

And Quantumreality is right, we don't know if its permanent. Still, the fact that they had a lot of time to prep and access to resources (or at least to money to get those resources), but still don't have it up is either purposeful or careless. Either way, it doesn't bode well for the queer/lgbt community.

Where I first heard this from:

15. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    It may not mean that much to you but for the thousands of Americans who hoped for its legalisation, it was one of the best steps that were taken towards a more fair and equal America. Whilst I agree that there are still a lot of LGBT legal rights and protections that the community needs to fight for, please do not think marriage equality is less important just because it is a concept that does not appeal to you.

16. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    What is the sense of marriage equality if you are not protected from discrimination at school, the workplace or when seeking housing? It just makes you more visible to be discriminated against.

When Trump signs the Religious Rights Bill then gay people in America are screwed! Who cares if you have the right to marry if you can get fired from your job for being gay?

#16 KyleD, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  17. Aanginator

Not sure how true it is but aren't there some areas in the US one can still be fired for being gay and whatnot? Although I know that I see marriage equality as one step in equality for the LGBT community but not as a whole just yet.

18. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Obama signed many executive orders to protect LGBT people but it varies from state to state.

In some states in the U.S. you can be kicked out of school or lose your job for being LGBTQ. Doctors and nurses can also refuse to treat you if you are LGBTQ in some states as well. The Gay and Trans Panic Defense is also legal in many states in which you can kill a gay or trans person because of a state of temporary insanity.

#18 KyleD, Jan 28, 2017
  19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My thought is that they're being revamped, reworded, and replaced. I would wait. And it's true that different states differ in their protections for GLBT people.

First things first - jobs are more important than marriage. In some states, job protection extends to public and private employees. In some states, it extends to public employees, but not to private employees. In the remaining states, it extends to neither. I don't know enough about law and civics to know how the SCOTUS can push through federal laws for such basic stuff and then the states don't follow suit.

#19 Tightrope, Jan 28, 2017
  20. Aanginator

Although I wasn't sure the full extent of what I said in my previous post so that's kind of why I kind of said something on it.