1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I Cheat? Get your Opinion.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by brians34, Jan 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brians34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, boyfriend and I had a discussion on a Saturday morning about sexual needs and desires because there was too much missing. After the discussion, he decided to get up and leave to go back home. He said he would think about it and get back with me.

He lives with his cousin and cousin's wife because he had a stroke a couple years ago and is working on his SSI.

Anyway, I waited the rest of that day and the next day and didn't hear back from him. I decided to put a few apps on my phone and see who was around me and reading profiles. In that time, someone chatted me up and wanted to meet me.

So, I called my boyfriend and asked him where we stood. He asked me why? Do I have a date?

I told him that I had put apps on my phone to look at profiles and that yes someone did ask to meet with me. Nothing sexual just dinner. He told me that he wasn't going to stop me from going on a date.

Anyway, after the date, I wasn't really head over heels for this guy and decided to let him know that I didn't believe I wanted to go any further.

My boyfriend asked me how the date went and I told him that the guy just wasn't him. I told him that I really loved him and wanted to get things to work between us.

Anyway, we have gotten back together and are talking, working on things. He has told me though that the cousin's wife doesn't want me back over at the house because, in her words, it was a shitty thing of how I cheated on him.

He told her that we were not "together" at the time and that I hadn't cheated.

If I were going to cheat, would I have called to ask him where we were and that someone had asked to meet with me?

Anyway, I told him, it's her house her rules. He's irritated with the whole thing and wants to get out of that house, but he depends on them until he gets his SSI started. Waiting on court date.

He can't move in with me, for one, we still have the issue that hasn't yet been resolved, and two, I really can't afford to take care of someone else because I have a teenage son that lives with me.

But, back to my question, in your opinion, did I cheat?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you did because you actually told him about it. Cheating usually requires lying and going behind one's back.

3. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree. You asked him, so... No not cheating.

4. SiKiHe

You basically asked for your boyfriends consent since you were on a break, and it sounds like he gave it. That's not cheating. That's just making use of a break.

5. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the others. In my opinion...you did not cheat. You were single and your boyfriend were well aware of the situation and was okay with the outcome. Therefore, you have nothing to feel bad about.

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really get why everyone on here seems to think what you did was fine. If we're going to argue semantics, then I guess to some people this technically isn't considered 'cheating', but regardless, personally I think that was a pretty shitty thing to do and if it were me, I'd want nothing more to do with you.

You have a discussion on Saturday morning with your boyfriend about something, then when he doesn't decide fast enough (within what, two days?) how he feels about that, you immediately and without discussing it with him start looking for other guys on various apps? That's just disrespectful and that alone would be enough for me to show you the door. Then you put him on the spot and tell him not only did you talk to a guy, but you're also planning on meeting him for dinner 'with his permission'. I seriously doubt his answer was 'Yeah, sure! Go ahead! No problem at all.' Then when your date turned out not to be all that, you go back to your boyfriend (wow, lucky him!), because you've decided you want to make things work again.

Seriously? I'm the only one who'd feel slightly cheated on?

I'm not trying to be rude, but you should be extremely thankful your boyfriend is still sticking up for you. I'm with the cousin's wife on this one.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No you didn't cheat at all. You told him you were going out on a date and he knew and had your permission and said he wasn't going to stop you. His cousins wife doesn't know what she's talking about.

8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not on,y was it not cheating, under difficult relationship circumstances you openly and honestly told him you were meeting someone. And he agreed. Not only did it help you better understand your own feelings for him; it probably did the same thing for him.

Of course, third parties might have different views not knowing the real circumstances. And e probably used his relationship to complain about you. But all that matters is what you and he agree on.

9. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, your financial situation gives your boyfriend's cousin's wife a position leverage in this case, but you shouldn't conflate this leverage in any way with your moral standing. The problem isn't whether or not you have cheated, but that you have been put in a position, governed mainly by the stress on your relationship, into making a choice about whether or not you should stay with your boyfriend. In times like these we tend to make mistakes, so my advice to you is to put everything on hold and become reactive instead of proactive. Anxiety makes this hard, but you can't control other people, even when you are very close to them. When he says he needs time away from you to think, usually the best course of action is to give it to him and let him know you will be waiting if he needs anything. There is, of course, a limit to how long you should be expected to wait but two days seems rather short and by going online you may have sent a message to your boyfriend that you are ready to short circuit your bond with him. If you regret that decision just be honest and tell him so. If he can't forgive you then perhaps your bond wasn't so strong after all. At any rate, if I were you, I wouldn't look to others to decide for me if this action constitutes cheating or not. Surely the quality of your love is worth more consideration than that from all parties concerned.

10. meistro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    not trying to be rude and no disrespect, but if you were "on a break" or weren't "together" than why did you have to ask his permission? What would've happened if the date did go well? If you slept with him and regretted it the next morning would you still go back to your boyfriend? And if his exact words were "i'm not going to stop you from going on a date" sounds a little passive aggressive to me. Sounds like you were testing the waters to see what you can get away with and still have your boyfriend to fall back on if something doesn't work out. I really don't like that trait in people and i would agree with the cousin.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I look at Justinf and Meistro's posts... and I concur with a lot of what they are saying.

Did you *physically* cheat on him? No. But you did go and install these apps on your phone and start looking before you talked to your boyfriend. The intent was there that you were done enough to test the waters. And then you got a "bite" and, at that point, decided to tell your boyfriend what was going on.

I personally don't buy this idea that because you have a fight, and ask your boyfriend to discuss an issue, and he doesn't make a decision within 2 days, that this connotes that the relationship was over. Neither he nor you said anything about breaking up, at least from what you describe. So then, without any further discussion, you start playing the field.

For me, it is the act of installing the apps and playing the field that shows the intent to cheat. Think about it... if you'd found Mr. Perfect, and had gotten super excited with him, that dinner would have gone differently. The fact that you didn't particularly connect with the guy doesn't change the underlying intent.

And the fact that your boyfriend essentially gave you permission to cheat relies on context to understand. If he has poor self-esteem (which wouldn't surprise me given that he's reliant on someone else to take care of his needs), then of course he's going to do whatever to try and preserve the relationship.

I don't think you're a terrible person for doing this, and I get what was going through your head, but I'm inclined to agree more with Justin... if someone did that to me after we had a fight, even if they asked permission, 'd consider discussing it, but
    I'd essentially view it as though he already had one foot out the door, and I'd be inclined to be done, because I'd feel like I deserve better.

12. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll sidestep the original question a bit and say that I think the issue of what to label the dinner is somewhat beside the point - what to do now may be a different question altogether.

I think it's going to take some work to figure out why you felt like you needed to install some dating apps and talk to other men after only two days, and from your boyfriend's perspective, why he told you that he was okay with you going on the dinner. Obviously you two were having problems, and there may have been self-esteem issues at work, and so on. But long story short: do your boyfriend, your relationship, and yourself a favor - delete the apps and focus on your current relationship. If you work it out, great. If you don't, then make sure you've done everything you could first before starting to date other people. Dating apps will not help you in this process - they will only make it harder and more confusing.

Once you decide where you and your boyfriend stand, if the relationship is going to continue, you can talk with his cousin about the situation at her house together, as a team. But your first step here is with your boyfriend.

13. brians34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    2 days does seem like quite a quick time to put apps back on as some of you have acknowledged.

Now I had brought up the issues that I felt we had problems with and he got up and left, telling me he would contact me later that day. Never heard back from him, waited another day and didn't hear from him.

I did put the apps back on after 2 days, but in the area I'm in, there's not much in the way of dating and not very much here to meet others. I actually met him on an app after about a month.

I had put the apps back because with him not contacting me at all after 2 days, esp. when he told me he'd contact me back later that day, I truly figured he had decided it wouldn't work. I was more curious to see if there was any more people signed on to those apps my age.

I was truly surprised when someone contacted me after a day.

He didn't call me on Monday either so I contacted him to ask where we were, had he said anything like, "Give me a little more time," or anything to that affect, I wouldn't have said anything. His first response though was, "Why, do you have a date?" So I told him the truth.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So... not to beat a dead horse, but what I hear in the above is rationalization.

If you've been in a relationship with someone for any length of time (more than, say, a couple of weeks, which I'm assuming based on calling him a "boyfreind" rather than "someone you're seeing"), then most people wouldn't simply toss out the relationship and start looking again after 24 hours of no contact.

If that'a happening, then I would interpret that as either (a) real difficulty with genuine emotional intimacy, (b) very low self-esteem that the person wouldn't have the decency to let you know it was over, (c) a sense of desperation at the idea of being alone, or (d) some combination of these. That's not intended as judgment (and may be entirely off-base; there could be many other reasons, I suppose).

Just because it may take time to find another person -- unless you're so desperate that you can't wait a few days to start looking -- isn't what I'd consider a valid reason to immediately start looking. I can also surmise, by his response, that his self-esteem may not be the best either. Or, perhaps, he simply knows you well and expects the response.

His cousin's wife's opinion isn't what's important here. What is important is how you look at the existing relationship, and what's going on, underlying, that is making you so quick to give up and move on. Those are things that, to me, are likely to get in the way of healthy relationships in the future, and may be worth exploring. If you decide to continue working on the current relationship, it's something to consider openly discussing with him.

These are complicated issues that are pretty common to people coming out later in life, and take time to understand and resolve, so don't beat yourself up over this. But if any of the above resonates for you, perhaps it's something worth thinking about.

15. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my mind, you didn't cheat. You both seemed to feel mutual about the situation and he seemed to be fine with it. You told him what was happening and expressed everything to him. I'm not really sure how that would count as cheating.

16. brians34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Chip, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I've been told by his friends that he does avoid any type of confrontation. It came up from a mutual acquaintance after talking to him about the problem we were having, that it might be an issue that my divorce was just recently finalized and he may need time to process all that. Then there is the face that he is basically reliant on someone else and that makes it hard on him.

We have talked about things, going to give it time, wait for him to get into a better situation. Hopefully pretty soon as he's been waiting for a good while.

Also, I am in a place that I just don't want to be alone. The waiting is hard for me, but I'm going to push through that.

17. CameOutSwinging

The sense I get out of all of this is that the question you need to ask yourself is why you want to be with your boyfriend. Right now it sounds like "not being alone" is the main reason. Jumping on dating apps two days after potentially breaking up makes it sound like you were eager to replace him (so to speak). If somebody is that easy to move on from, it begs the question why you were with said person to begin with.

18. Hushhh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Justin f has a very good point. Well, truth hurts when it's unvarnished.

My take on this is that it's a normal reaction for someone confronted with very sensitive issues to walk out and leave. Maybe he has fears and insecurities. you mentioned that he had a stroke, that could somehow cause feelings of shame, inadequacies, intrapersonal battles, and often has effects on physical performance(eg., Sex, wrk, etc) ask yourself if you'RE willing to accept that.
    On the other Hand, it's a normal reaction for brians34 to feel hurt and to have that Need to feel loved and wanted hence the apps.
    The cousin has her reasons too, she is protective of her cousin, time will heal that.

Brians34,.did you let your bf know that you were going on a date with the hope that your bf would stop you? Or did you do that to spare yourself from guilt if ever something did happen on that date, so that he won't blame you? Coz he said He was OK right.
    What if the bf said ok to push you away? Sometimes people tend to push their loved ones away, when all they really want to do is Make up. Yes, people are complicated that way.

Having said that, let's try to put ourselves on the Bf's shoes, brians34, and the cousin's. Everyone has their own way of confronting situations, some suck at it a little, while some ruin their potentially good future and Relationships over some lack of or overreaction, impulsiveness, stubbornness and so on.

We can't control human behavior and reactions, but we just have to be sensible and mature when it comes to relationships. God speed

19. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This wasn't cheating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.