1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Degrees: smart vs love

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Matto_Corvo, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've ask this question before but it is something that I find myself thinking about again.

In the pursuit of my degree I am once again faced with the question of it i should go after the mark choice of a degree (in this case marketing) or should or doing something that I love (that being creative writing).

It is a constant war within me as I have a need to be finically secure in life (thus putting myself in all this debt xD) but I also want to enjoy life. I don't want to wake up 10 years from now and realize I have reverted back to the numb zombie state of living.

I also thought of jousting getting both majors, though I have no idea what that would do in regards to tuition cost.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I almost went for creative writing and english at first, but then I realized there were next to no job opportunities. So instead, I chose Library sciences. Still something I love, but getting a job as a librarian is way more plausible.

So really, It's the smartest to major in something you know you'll make money in. But you also shouldn't choose something that disinterests you and would stress you out further.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm told creative writing degrees are usually good in advertising jobs.

4. meistro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    you wanna go for marketing because you feel that financial security will make you happy, right? But if you're not doing something you truly enjoy then your probably not going to be happy. You might live comfortably but you probably won't be truly happy. If your thinking now that you'll regret it in ten years, you probably will. My recommendation would be to find a degree in the general area of creative writing that you know you'll be able to find a job doing. Although, depending on what company is tryin to market what product in what way, creative writing could come into play somewhere, or it could be applied to advertising like you said.
    If you wanna go for both than you could find lots of government grants to help pay for tuition. Sometimes it takes a lot of time and frustration but the grants are out there and there free.

---------- Post added 19th Jan 2017 at 06:49 PM ----------

^*their*

grammar mistake

5. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It may be different at your university but at mine it's a matter of going to college for a longer period of time. my university tends to not allow people to take more than 18 hours of credits per semester (and heavily pushes for it to be closer to 15). I'm dual majoring in International Business and Japanese and in my case, it's more a matter of just getting the classes done but having it take longer than most to finish college (I'm expected to take at least 5 years if I keep both majors) as well as the workload that comes with having two majors. If your university is similar to mine, that's mainly all that'd matter besides maybe fees that come from taking certain classes but I can't imagine there being any major fees with creative writing although I haven't ever even looked into a major like that at my university so I'm not sure.

Ultimately though, I agree with meistro in that you shouldn't major in something you feel no passion for because then, as you mentioned in your post, you'd only just grow more disdainful towards it.

#5 kibou97, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose once I get accepted into this new Uni I will have to talk to my advisor about what dual majoring entails.

But thanks for the advice. I actually do find marketing in some forms to be interesting which is why I choose it.