1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons you (don't) want kids

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Embi, Jan 19, 2017.

1. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You mean it hasn't already? :dry:

In all seriousness, this is part of why I'm not having kids. I am messed-up, and I don't feel like giving a kid the problems I have. It's a miserable existence.

2. dreamcatcher

I feel like one of the few people here that wants kids. Here are my reasons why:
    - They're fun, lovable, and super cute when they are small.
    - So many people say that the love you have for your child does not compare to any other. I want to experience that feeling.
    - I'd like to have some children to watch over me when I'm older. Granted there's no guarantee that will happen if I have children and I know it's selfish but I would like to think having children better's my chances of not being completely alone when old.
    - Having a tight knit family that is loving and supportive can be one of the best things in the world. I love having that sense of community and having children helps me create that.

3. starfish

I don't want kids because I don't have any desire to have kids. People look at me like I have 2 heads when I tell them that. I've heard the oh you'll change your mind, or you'll feel differently once you are in a relationship. Considering that I am 36 and I've never once had the desire to have kids, no I don't think that will change.

I think it mostly comes from the fact that my sister was born when I was 17. I spent a lot of time with her when she was a child. So I think I got it out of my system

4. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Too expensive.
    I want to live moving out around the world.
    I'm probably infertile (not that I would have a biological child anyways).
    This world is fucked up.

5. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would like kids. I would adopt if it wasn't pricey. However, I would like to experience pregnancy and raising my own kid that I created.
    I'm bad with kids though.

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like Brooke, I'd adopt if I ever chose to have children.

Though it is highly improbable I would have kids for the following reasons:
    -I do not wish to be a single father, and as such I don't see myself marrying.
    -While this is selfish, I don't want to deal with the chaos of a child (noise, smells, etc.)
    -Being tied down to a certain place or schedule.
    -The responsibility of another human being's life and development.

Other than that, I mean, maybe I would consider it later in adulthood. At least past 35 years old. A lot can change, but for now I need to focus on personal development and the relationships I have with my current family.

I think I could be a good father, and would take immense satisfaction in certain aspects of having a child, so that is not the reason. But overall I don't see it as plausible beyond theory for the next decade or two.

#26 Kodo, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  7. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My reasons are simple:
    1.) I have a hard enough time taking care of myself, so why should I have yet another thing to take care of?
    2.)Kids are fun, but the best part is riling them up, playing with them, getting them super hyped and then they go home to their parents.
    3.) Also, I am biologically female, and the first thing that normally comes to my mind about having kids is pregnancy.. I always felt like a guy.. so the thought of being pregnant turns me off completely. Nope. Never want that. Nope nope nope.

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol well it'll get worse if the dysfunctional people keep breeding. You may think you're fucked up but look at the drug addicts who are having kids with multiple partners.

9. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I've got insane rage issues, and there are certain medical issues (both physical and mental) that run in both sides of my family. I'm already certain one of those medical issues will eventually lead to my own death; I'm not passing those on to a kid.

Besides, as previously mentioned, I hate the little bastards and even if I didn't, I'm not sure if I'll ever be in a position to support a kid financially as well as myself. Not really a whole lot of opportunity to prosper in the shithole state I live in. Maybe that makes me selfish. Whatever. I'm never having kids.

#29 ThatBorussenGuy, Jan 19, 2017
  10. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I'm way too selfish.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, I don't want to worry about passing on any mental health issues I have down to them or put them in an environment where they become what I have; a stressed out and anxious mess. I know I'd likely be a good dad, but part of me doesn't want to fuck up an innocent kid's life.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. I'm too selfish.
    2. I like to put myself before anyone else.
    3. I don't like being tied down.
    4. I need my me time.
    5. I like to sleep.
    6. I need my alone time everyday.
    7. The thought of having to raise another human for 18 years makes me nauseous.
    8. They're expensive as hell.
    9. I don't have very much patience.
    10. I don't like people touching my stuff. Kids will definetly do that.
    11. I want to be alone and if I find a partner he must not want kids or the relationship will just not work.
    12. I really don't like how parents these days let there kids get away with shit. It's like the kids run the house now.
    13. I don't want the responsibility.
    14. I don't want to have to deal with their school BS.
    15. I don't want to bring a kid in to this harsh world.
    16. I want to do what I want not what someone else does.
    17. I don't have patience or energy for kids temper tantrums.
    18. I don't want to raise a hormonal teen.
    19. I don't know how to change a diaper nor do I want to.
    20. I don't want to have "filters"
    21. I don't want them to have to have mental health issues and then I'll have to deal with them.
    22. I love quiet.
    23. I don't need kids to be happy.
    24. I like to go on adventures and vacations you can't do that when you're tied down with a kid.
    25. I don't need to pass down the family name if I don't want to.
    26. I have known since I was 11 I didn't want kids.
    27. I'm not good with kids.
    28. I don't want to have to be constantly worried about something bad happening to them.

And yeah that's why I don't want kids.

13. Joelouis

I nearly had kids with my then girlfriend but opted not to due to finances at the time.
    A part of me is satisfied that we didnt, but the majority of me wish we did.
    I am actually very good with kids though.

14. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Life is too short is the main reason. I don't want to spend a decade of my life just trying to get them to take a nap. That is what my sibling's lives have boiled down to and it makes me sick.

Call me selfish but I enjoy doing whatever I want all the time.

#34 Mlpguy88, Jan 19, 2017
  15. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't have a very motherly attitude. I'm more like a big sibling.
    I know that I will have a lot on my plate, especially for the next 8-10 years, since I'm in high school now, and want to shoot for a masters.
    Babies, however cute they can be, are basically little machines that cry, eat, and crap.
    I like sleep. Kids will ruin the bit of sleep I get cause they cry constantly at night.
    Kids are expensive, on both the pocketbook and the clock.

I may be a foster parent when I'm in a financially stable place, and maybe even adopt once I am sure about my life and where it is going.

16. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Almost all of your reasons apply to me too.

I'm a very selfish person, and enjoy my freedom. Children are loud, messy and annoying, especially if they do the same thing over and over and over again, like press a squeaky toy repeatedly or say the same phrase repeatedly. Also, they are too demanding of attention. I am too impatient to deal with kids and their little needs the whole time. I will be a terrible mom. With that said, though, IF (and that's a big IF) I "accidentally" fall pregnant then I will accept it and raise the child as best I can and try to work around my issues. But I take the necessary precautions to make sure that that doesn't happen (birth control and condoms). So yeah, I'm not cut out to be a parent. Also, I'm bipolar, and I wouldn't want that to be carried over to any possible kid(s) that I may bring into the world. Not sure whether it is hereditary but I'd rather not take the chance.

17. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I don't want biological children for...multiple reasons

Though I would consider adoption because:
    studies show that children without parents in their life tend to have a lot more issues later in life, the adoption system has some very shitty parts( like, some parents literally give a child back if things aren't perfect. What do you expect that to do to a child's psyche? You might as well say " I don't want you, you suck".), I want to thank my parents in a way by giving the love they gave me to someone else, I think everyone deserves a home.

On the other hand:
    I don't have much money or time and that probably won't change in the future, I'm a pretty awful and introverted person at times, raising a child with a more complicated background would be harder and I don't know if I can deal with that, I don't want to fuck things up, I'm not quite sure I they'd even let me adopt a child

---------- Post added 20th Jan 2017 at 01:51 PM ----------

You should see some of the arguments about kids at court:
    ( real life example) Father and mother break up, they argue, he tells that she takes drugs and drinks so she looses the child, just to hurt her.
    Months later, she tries to get the kid back, he wants the child now, turns out he can't because he purposefully neglects to take meds for schizophrenia.....* slow clap* awesome parents...

18. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The reason I don't want kids is that when I was 13 years old....one of my older sisters were going through a divorce and the other one husband was in the service and was overseas. Therefore, each one had very young children and my mom had insisted that me and my two younger siblings get part time jobs in order to help those sisters financially. This support went up until graduating high school all the way through my twenties and thirties. Those kids got so attached to me that they would come to me and my younger siblings for all of their financial needs which even went on through some of their college years.

With that being said...by going through this...I had decided that I did not want kids of my own because I felt that although these kids were my nephews and nieces...I began to feel as if they were my kids after awhile.

19. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm 35 and single. Figure a few years of playing the field (so to speak), maybe one or two failed relationships, a year or so of serious dating, a period of engagement, and a year or so of enjoying being married to someone before we decide to have kids, and pretty soon I'm pushing 50. Regardless of how old my spouse is, I would be too old (in my mind) to have kids. I'd be too old to play with my kid, and my the time my kid graduates high school, I would be 65-70 (conservative estimate). If not before then, I would soon thereafter be experiencing health issues, and somehow I doubt I would live much past 75 (if at all).

20. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm surprised so many of you don't want kids. I definitely want to have kids some day! Reasons:
    1. I love the idea of being a dad.
    2. Kids are freaking adorable.
    3. Who doesn't dream of having a family of their own?

I don't think I want to adopt, though. I want to have kids that are biologically mine or my partner's. Haven't given much thought to how exactly stuff like this works, but those are worries for later.