1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons you (don't) want kids

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Embi, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Embi

Embi Guest

Why do you or do you not want to have children?
    If you don't want kids: Do you get comments like "you are going to change your mind?" all the time? Because I do and it's so annoying!

My reasons:
    - I don't want to force a child into this fucked up world. (This only refers to giving birth, not to adoption.)
    - I don't know how to deal with children.
    - I can't really stand children and their constant crying.
    - I've got too many issues.
    - I'm impatient.
    - There's no way you can protect your child from being unhappy.
    - I don't want to be responsible for a human's life.
    - I want to have the freedom to go wherever I want and do whatever I want.
    - They're way too expensive!

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How freaky o_o I was just talking to my mom about this very topic (like literally five minutes ago)...

I suppose it boils down to feeling like its some obligation, and not being in a "place" where I can support someone other than myself, if ever.

3. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    •Cannot stand hearing children cry, feels like my brain is exploding.
    •Considering I'm ace, no intentions of going through the process. No interest in adoption either, though they deserve parents who actually want children.
    •I'm impatient as well, even with just things I do alone, much less waiting on a child.
    •I don't want the responsibility, life is much simpler with it being just me and I'd rather keep it that way.
    •If I want/need to do something alone, I don't want to have to find a babysitter every single time in order to do so, I like to do so freely.

But yeah, I'm not a kid person in general, never have been either. I much prefer to just have pets aka the only children I need/want. Aha~

4. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    1. I'm not sacrificing my life just for some kid.
    2. Children can get annoying.
    3. I don't think I'll be a good parent.
    4. Number 1 is the most important to me.

5. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if I want a child. I'm only 16 years old, when people ask me if I want kids I usually say that I'm way too young to be thinking about it and I don't plan that far ahead :lol: Right now I lean more towards not wanting children. I have issues with severe anxiety and depression so I wouldn't be able to handle it at this point in time. Plus, I'd want to complete my transition and get that out of the way first, I don't want two massive challenges at once. I'm also very paranoid about overpopulation, even though I'm confused over whether or not that's a myth since different people have told me different things. The idea scares me nonetheless.

Let's say that all my mental health issues were under control and I'd transitioned physically and socially. If I changed my mind then, about having kids, I'd only want one child. I wouldn't give birth to them and would wait until at least my early 30s. I'd want to do other things like have a career and travel first. Those are my "requirements." I could always change my mind of course, like I said, I'm not worrying about it too much right now.

6. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i don't know i just.. i can't take that responsibility.. just the thought of being always anxious and worried about one person makes me nervous! i want only to take care of myself..
    also i have noticed that children are often ungrateful in our days and i hate that..
    of course there are good things about children and women will describe being a mother as an amazing thing but it's just not for me..

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my experiences with my nephew.....I actually of just hate kids (I know this makes me a bad person). I mean once they hit that teenage years I can deal with it better.
    But hey, I don't have much experience with kids.

I have babysat 4 boys in my whole life and all of them were hyper and like to beat people up. One boy would call his brother a maid and force him to clean his room.and fetch him things
    And another kid would demand we watch TV shows that I was banned from watching at home (he was my 7 year old cousin and I was 13). He would then demand to be allowed to eat unlimited snacks, saying that he would tell my dad I watched those shows unless I did as he said. He would yell, kick, scream, and throw fits unless he got his way.

And my nephew...he is just a mess all together. He screamed and squeals for no reason (he is 8). He watches Youtube videos nonstop so when he is over we limit him town hour. When you turn the TV off he'll scream and pitch a fit. If we want give him something he wants he'll go wake up my mom (who is usually asleep because she has to work) and annoy her till she gives in.

These are all reason why I don't want kids. And of course people tell me I would be to strict as a parent, a conclusion drawn because I don't bow to the will of my nephew and actually discipline him with no remorse.

8. Xochipilli

I do want a child! I always joke that I would live vicariously through him/her/them and use them to accomplish things I never could.
    Children are super expensive though and I'm in selfish mode right now.
    My cousin is the same age as me and she is on child number 2 and I get kind of jealous watching her raise her son, even though he's annoying as hell and I would do everything possible so my child doesn't turn out like him. :lol:

9. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't want kids.

Reasons why:
    - My partner and I would never be able to have biological kids that are both of ours, and that's the only option I would actually like. I'm not saying that adoptees or step-children aren't "real kids" to their non bio parents. I don't think that at allit. However, the method of adoption and sperm donation is just so much harder and more dramatic than have sex + get pregnant route.

Adoption is expensive, many same-sex couples can't adopt, the child could have biological disorders (or be on drugs) that the adopted parents might not have experience with, there are abandonment issues and kids that act out (if older), there's the idea that the bio parents could get involved and cause drama or that the kid rejects it's adoptive family for bio parents. Just a lot of stress and drama for me to consider. As for sperm donation, not gonna lie, it kind of grosses me out to have a man's sperm touch me and for me to have the biological child of someone I don't love and don't sleep with. I feel the same way if my partner was carrying. I know It's not cheating or anything, but I guess I'm old fashioned in the extent that I just don't want a random man's genes being involved with me or my partner. Then there's also the risk that the donor will want to play father and be involved as well.

- Even if I wanted biological kids, I don't want to spread my genes because they are fucked up. I love in a family with chronic pain conditions, autism, anxiety, depression, and issues I just would hate to pass on.

- I just don't want the responsibility that parenting takes. I don't want to have to raise a kid for 18 years, and possibly even longer if they have a disability (very likely considering my genetics). Alone time and free time is precious. I'd also make a shitty mother anyway considering how selfish I can be at times.

---------- Post added 19th Jan 2017 at 09:41 AM ----------

Oh yeah, I don't hate kids or babies ironically enough like most people my age do. But I HATE teenagers at times (and yes, I hated myself as a teenager as well). The teen years would be the stage where I'd wish I'd drop the child off on someone's step and come back after they're an adult.

10. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have three kids, all planned. I wanted kids simply because it felt right. I wanted to feel the growth of a child within me, to give birth, to breastfeed, to raise a child the way I believed/believe a child should be raised. I wanted to make my mark on the world, to produce a child who might just make the world a better place, for me and for future generations.

We wanted six. My body was only willing to go for three. A fourth pregnancy might have begun to stray into the physically dangerous zone, according to my doctor. So, we stopped at three.

11. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want a new family and children in the future. But I don't want pregnancy: I would be threated like a woman, my body would change, I would be a mother who refuses to be a mother and wants to forget soon about the process. Adoption might be a solution.

12. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know if I'll ever change my mind in the future but this is my stance at the moment. Here are my reasons why I don't want kids:

1. No.
    2. Dysphoria, dysphoria...
    3. Kids are a pain. To me at least.
    4. Kids tend to be scared of me for some reason. Hence I dislike them back.
    5. I'm not fond of the idea of having a defenceless person rely on me as much a kid would.
    6. I have my own commitments.
    7. Not really looking for relationships, and I'd rather not be a single parent.
    8. Genetics
    9. What would they even call me?

13. meistro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can barely afford to feed, house, and cloth myself lol

---------- Post added 19th Jan 2017 at 11:08 AM ----------

^*clothe*

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably couldn't stand waking up in the middle of the night constantly. If I want kids I'd adopt personally.

15. backdrop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me the reason why I do not want kids is that I believe my family is cursed and I do not want the blood lineage to continue . Just .... I do not like my family at all XD

16. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    1) I hate kids
    2) I have a very short, explosive temper
    3) Can't stand the crying, the noises
    4) I'm not changing anyone's damn diapers
    5) I have better things to do with my life than being anchored down for eighteen years
    6) No, really, I don't think I can state enough how much I detest children
    7) I'm already screwed up enough in the head without passing those genes on to a kid
    8) Tiny baby parasite grows up to be teenage asshole
    9) The obvious dysphoria
    10) Who would I have a kid with? The partner I don't want?
    11) Not raising a kid in this pending disaster of a country
    11.5) AND not bringing a kid into a world about to be wrecked by climate change
    12) See reasons one and six

#16 ThatBorussenGuy, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  17. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just... couldn't do it. I don't know why but I CANNOT.

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not completely sure yet. They seem like a lot of work and stress, but it's also fulfilling (I assume). I probably would only have one (very unlikely 2), if any.

And to add some weird pro's for having a kid:
    -I do feel some primal biological drive to pass on my DNA. Maybe I should donate to a sperm bank.
    -If all the people who can provide kids with a relatively stable upbringing decide to be selfish and not have children, we'll only end up with fucked up people having kids, and society will go to shit.

19. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't want to be responsible for fucking up a kid's life, either through my genetics or parenting. If anything went wrong I'd never forgive myself

20. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd adopt, if I decide to:

-I don't ever want to be a father, but I would like a biological child. Since I'll never be able to give birth, I'd rather not.

-I don't really feel like explaining to a six year old why mommy has a penis.

-I don't want the responsibility.

-I want to be able to do things, buy things, and go places when I want.