1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you give up parts of your character to get rid of dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by i am just me, Jan 18, 2017.

1. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in a very masculine state of my gender at the moment and feel extremly uncomfortable with my body. Whenever this happens, I wonder if I would exchange my life for the one me born with a male body would be leading. Or even for the life me as a cis person of my assigned gender would have.

On the one hand I would have felt much more comfortable during puberty. I would also be more comfortable in phases like the one I am in at the moment. Life would just be easier.

But: My personality was also shaped by me fighting against gender norms and acting closer to what is associated with men than with women. I guess I would have made very different experiences if I were born male. As I am quite proud of my personal development in the last few years, I don't know if I would like to exchange it for having no dysphoria.

Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic. I am not binary trans, so I can only imagine what it must be like to feel trapped in the wrong body all the time. If having a body your comfortable in would mean giving up parts of your character, would you do it?

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.
    I would never change the person that I am (soul wise) to rid myself of dysphoria. But I will change my body to rid myself of dysphoria and to have the soul better fit the body.

3. SiKiHe

Yes. I absolutely would. I would hope that as a bisexual man I would have found out about trans people so I could fight for them as an ally. But aside from my caring about LGBT+ issues, everything else about me would likely be similar, minus the added discomfort. I would trade it in a heartbeat.

[having said that, I'm partly glad things went this way because my fiance is much more attracted to women which is how we began dating. He understands who I am now, but it might have been harder to help a straight man see his gay side if I'd been born male]

4. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would 100% guaranteed. I would have loved a happier childhood and be comfortable in myself. Dating would be a hell of a lot easier, people wouldn't hate me for being me (unless they were homophobic). God I could imagine me as a cis guy and it just makes me feel more shit to know that I don't have those parts. Yes I'd be a different person having grown up in a completely different life but I'd be willing to make those sacrifices. I don't think much of myself anyway so I doubt anyone would miss anything about me as I am now.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. I'd rather deal with my dysphoria (which hasn't been too bad these days) than give up part of who I am as a whole.

6. Lazuri

Me being trans has brought me a great deal of suffering that will leave scars that last a lifetime. This entire ordeal has been hard and arduous and it's not over yet. Yeah, I'd rather I was born cisgendered--I don't care which one.

7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I really don't think so. There are things I would change if I could - I'd like a little more height, and sharper features, and I'd like to have already managed top surgery and hormones - but I wouldn't change being trans all together. It's too big a part of who I am, and it isn't a shameful thing.

Anyway, I can't see myself ever really being cis, even if I was born male. I'm too queer for that.

---------- Post added 19th Jan 2017 at 01:46 AM ----------

No, I really don't think so. There are things I would change if I could - I'd like a little more height, and sharper features, and I'd like to have already managed top surgery and hormones - but I wouldn't change being trans all together. It's too big a part of who I am, and it isn't a shameful thing.

Anyway, I can't see myself ever really being cis, even if I was born male. I'm too queer for that.

8. MulticoloredSox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As appealing as it sounds, I don't think I would do it. I'm sort of proud of the person I've become and I know that I wouldn't be the same had I grown up cis.

9. oh my god I

I don't know. I'm so used to how the way I am relates to the life I've lived. But I do think this is one of the worse conditions you can be born with. It hurts on the soul level. So I'm tempted to say yes. But if I really had to I'd probably say no. It's too many unknowns.

Probably even if I just had a decisively male body I would have just tried to accept it and live as cis.

10. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would. I may have answered differently if I were physically able to transition, but as it is I can't. So any way to permanently rid dysphoria would be good enough for me.

11. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. I like who I am and others do, too. While dysphoria definitely sucks, I think it would be too high a price to pay for losing part of my identity.

12. Just Jess

It depends on whether these traits were necessary to what I'd like to do with my life. If not, yes. If so, no. I transitioned because dysphoria was in my way.

13. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But I wouldn't be me, so no.