1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck in the system

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by sam314159, Jan 18, 2017.

1. sam314159

Sorry if this turns into a long rant, but it's been a really bad couple of days.

I feel like I am stuck without being able to get anywhere. I am in a single sex college within university that has the worst reputation for trans students (they have forced people to take time out of studying and stay away from the city). Other colleges are much better, but switching college is about as easy as taking down a stone wall with your bare hands unless you have a VERY good reason (and the only reason I've heard so far that's worked is being allergic to the building site on college property). I am completely unable to explore gender and how I feel about different things because I can't risk anyone in college finding out, and it's getting to the point where I can't cope any more. I have realised that if I try to break away and be myself then everything I know will change, and it has been making me feel suicidal. I really don't know how to get out of this.

2. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, changes are scary but many people stay stuck just because they are afraid to make any change which also means no chance for things to get better. What is the worst that could happen? (*hug*)

3. Di0

Di0

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Sam,

If you are in the UK, I think that single sex colleges do not truly have the right to reject you on the basis that you are trans-gender. They could only do so if you are transsexual since the school is 'single sex'.
    Equality Act Pgs 12, 17,20:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/315587/Equality_Act_Advice_Final.pdf

Of course if you want to switch college (or even university), I believe you have a VERY good reason even if nobody around you acknowledges that you are being unjustly discriminated against.
    You may have a period in between without university which you could use to explore your gender such as through counselling with a good counsellor who is knowledgeable on gender identity. They could help you cope with your feelings and heal.

Your signature has pleasantly blown my mind