1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sebulba, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Some one help me process something.

I know a gay couple that i have been friends with for almost a year now. They've been good to me, and I've tried really hard to do the same for them.

Recently, as in today, i found out they have started living out of their truck and a 4 person tent. This is no accident, they decided to do this purposefully, so they can live "Debt Free."

I feel like they basically willingly made themselves homeless.

I've never heard of such a thing, its absurd!

2. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh wow..that reminds me of the memoir Jeannette Walls wrote about her parents purposely being homeless..crazy

3. meistro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    a couple years ago I lived in my car for about 3 weeks even though I had a job and enough money for a motel room. I did this because I knew if I had started paying weekly rates at this motel it'd be very hard for me to save money for a real place. It was rough but it was worth it to me because I was able to save money and move into an apartment.

This may be what you're friends are going through and I might be able to provide some advice that you may be able to pass on to them.

This was during probably the coldest time of year for where I live which is Arkansas (usa). But I always tried to consider myself lucky that I had a car with heat that worked and that I wasn't living under a bridge. I would hang up thick blankets all around for insulation and privacy and I would park in wal mart parking lot because there was wifi and a 24/7 bathroom. Also people coming and going all hours of the night so I felt a lil bit comfortable that no one would probably mess with me. I would fall asleep watching youtube videos lol. I kept my 10 dollar a month gym membership so that I had a place to work out and especially shower. On my days off I hung out at friends houses or the library because it was warm and free. I found food banks (mostly churches) that would a lot of the time (if you tell them) take in to consideration that you're living in your car and that you might not be able to cook.

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2017 at 06:07 PM ----------

Had to do this in at least two parts because if I take too long it'd log me out and it would erase what I was typing. Anyways, some food pantries at least where I live will give you food you don't have to cook if they know you don't have the means to cook. Stuff like peanut butter and crackers, Vienna sausages, trail mix, beef jerky, etc... but I bought a hot plate to plug into the cigarette lighter (if you have an adapter) for 20 bucks so that I could cook hot food. That can make a HUGE difference for warmth and morale during the cold season when your living like that. If nothing else they could make a fire somewhere (which I've done) to cook hot food. I've also slept at truck stop and hotel parking lots because most have wifi and 24/7 bathrooms. The Pilot truck stop down here was actually ok with people sleeping in their vehicles, (not just truckers) they just had a sign saying that "unattended vehicles will be towed after 24 hours" You can find lots of info on living in a vehicle online...feel free to msg me for anything

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2017 at 06:12 PM ----------

sorry if that was too much to read but I just wanted to pass on some advice that helped me dramatically that you might be able to pass on to your friends

4. Godless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Two words:grin:ave Ramsey. I had a friend announce on fb he was moving into an RV with his wife and three kids. My wow and I looked at each other like wtf. The next thing we knew, 3 months passed and they announced they just purchased a house worth cash. Live like no one else now so you can live like no one else later. Could be a smart thing.

5. starfish

A tent is a bit extreme, but in the past I've considered buying a travel trailer and livening out of that. I once knew a guy that had a job where he could work from home. He lived in his travel trailer and he would spend about 6 months in a city before moving onto the next one.

I can understand wanting to live debt free. I bought a house last year. The house I bought is significantly below the median sales price in the Austin area. It still causes me a lot of anxiety having this much debt.

6. meistro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't at all mean to sound sny or bitchy but an r.v or travel trailer no matter the size is no comparison to actually living in a car or truck...at least an r.v or travel trailer usually has a place for a bed. I was living in a 92 Honda accord and i'm 6ft 2 and I had to sleep in one of the front seats with my feet on the dash at an angle. The sleeping part was the worst part to me. I took Benadryl to help me sleep, I also took it for seasonal allergies so it was a two for one. I might not have been able to sleep at all without that. Again, I don't mean at all to sound like an asshole, just sharing my experience

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yeah I've heard of people doing that. I don't get it.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why is it absurd? There are lots of people that get fed up with the expense and hassles required to live in society according to how people decide one should live.

While living in a tent is a bit extreme, it sounds like they want to get out of debt, not be beholden to having to work their asses off just to get by, and are trading the creature comforts of a house for flexibility and the need for a lot less money. Living in a tiny house is a pretty similar thing albeit less extreme.

It isn't a decision I'd personally make, but I don't judge the folks that try these sorts of things.

9. Psaurus918

I've taken many road trips where I would sleep in my car to save money on hotels. I actually didn't mind sleeping on the backseat for a few nights straight even though I'm a pretty big guy (6'1 200 pounds).

I don't I'd ever sell everything and live in a tent thought. Lately I've been looking into these mini cabins (500-700sqft) and some look super cozy

10. Grundy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    There's a purposefully homeless community (is that right?) up the road from me. I know this guy who's sister is a part of it. They all live in the woods behind this store off the highway. The store closed down now, people kept complaining about the 'neighbors'.

11. SiKiHe

My friend is slowly selling her possessions to RV cross country with her husband and kid. When they reach the other side they plan to trade the RV in for a boat and live on the water. Everyone's got their idea of happiness. Nothing wrong with that

12. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This isn't the first time I've heard of someone doing such a thing. There is this girl on youtube who chose to start living in her van. There was this one guy who left his ivy league college and upper middle class family situation to start living as a bum and travelling the country(and I was forced to read a boring book about it in high school :/). Buddha was a prince and he left his sheltered lifestyle to gain wisdom about the world and learn of its imperfections.
    Some people are just happier not living a traditional life and being homeless. It's different, but it's their thing.