1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

internalized transphobia? I'm struggling bad

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by cameron23, Jan 15, 2017.

1. cameron23

Huge “thank you” in advance to whoever reads this and replies, I will try to keep it short.

Twice in my life, once when I was 18, and again at 29 (my current age) I have come to achieve this “awareness”, and abandoned it. When I was 18 I didn’t have the knowledge, resources, or education that I have now , so I couldn’t make any connections or really figure anything out. Now is a different story.

In early November, after a month of dysphoria chipping away at me something inside me just…broke. I admitted to myself that I’m trans. I said the words. But I resisted the truth of it every single day. Another month went by and I was heavily depressed. I doubted myself. As much as I feel like a wuss for admitting this, the thought of transition and telling my family f***ing terrified me. In other words, I was devastated to learn this thing about myself, and the truth was crushing me.

I had to shut it all down though. I had to put the gender issues on pause. I’m an undergrad in university, my depression was affecting my grades… I was failing a class, and I flunked 2 of my midterms. So I put it all to a halt and just focused on what I needed to do to finish my semester and pull my grades up (which I did).

Mid-December I came to the conclusion that I won’t forget the truth about myself, but I just can’t do this. And now? I’m at a standstill. I feel like I don’t even know who the hell I am anymore. Three years ago I came out as a “soft butch lesbian” and a large part of me is clinging desperately to that identity. The idea that I might be a "straight trans male" well... that's a tough one to digest. I decided to talk to a counsellor, maybe work my way up to speaking with a gender therapist. It can't be that bad just to talk about it right?

Maybe one of you can give me your perspective on this, but I have a theory that maybe I am reluctant to accept myself because I may have internalized transphobic things that I’ve heard. All of the stereotypes and the stigmas… maybe I internalized that? Because in my mind if I were to possibly transition, I’d be seen as a freak. I already feel like a freak for feeling the way I do about my body and the social dysphoria. I feel like no one could ever accept me, especially my family. I think that about myself. I think I must be really messed up… and no one could ever love me for me. I feel like a fraud.
    I think I might feel a lot of shame about myself for feeling the way that I do. And it's ironic because I don't even blink an eye when it's someone else. When I see other people living their lives true to themselves, I'm happy for them, I'm in awe of their courage and their strength. Envious too. But when it comes to myself, I can't seem to look at myself with the same compassion, love, and understanding.

Anyways, I will leave it here. Thanks again for reading, any advice/support is greatly appreciated.

2. Irisviel

let me just give a short no-BS reply. If you are not transphobic, you have no "internalized" transphobia. End of story.

You are affraid to be a freak, because it's difficult to be weird and not normal. And yeah, I use those words in purpose. We are affraid to be like that because others don't like it. So instead of guilt tripping yourself into some internalized biggotry, recognise the real enemy, which is fear of others that makes you feel guilty about yourself - fear that your family might be crushed by the news makes you feel guilty for upsetting them and so on. No more to this than that.

And again. If you support trans people, you are not transphobic. Just think about that for a moment and hopefully the idea of being transphobic and accepting *at the same time* will quickly reveal itself to be ridiculous.

So, recognise your real enemy and fight that one, not yourself! Your strategy is to become braver, rationalize and slow down whenever you stop thinking clearly. That is at least somethig to start with.

#2 Irisviel, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  3. oh my god I

^I think the above post has some good ideas.

Sometimes I like to just practice being weird. I mean, not being weird for the sake of being weird, but doing the things I avoid doing because it might seem weird. Rejection only hurts when you already believe you deserve it. Those definitely are internalized beliefs, but usually from childhood.

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2017 at 08:55 PM ----------

Errr: sorry meant to say judgment only hurts when you believe you deserve it, not rejection. I think rejection does hurt either way naturally ;O;

4. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I feel you very much in that matter. Are you conservative all around? I am and a lot of my issues come from that I had not known any LGBT member that was not totally left-wing. I was at loss.

It doesn't have to be transphobia. Being trans isn't great. If you transition you will have OPs and they're gonna hurt. You will pay tons of bucks for something 99% of humans take for granted. Not to mention the paperwork. Of course it sucks. I hardly believe any sane person would be exited to be trans.