1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going deeper into the closet

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by IrishJ, Jan 8, 2017.

1. IrishJ

Happy New Year all.

It has been quite a while since my last post.. Still married, 1 child at home, 1 in college - living so deep in this space, struggling to keep it together. Fortunately I have a good therapist I am able to see each week without my wife's approval or current knowledge. (My wife believes the therapist is the reason for our marriage becoming worse.)

I live in fear of my wife's mouth, this is no way to live. I am emotionally exhausted.

I have to get out of here but am terrified of the impact on my high school aged daughter. I do not want to abandon her, but living with this constant fear is killing me every day. I just want to move out - come out - live my genuine life. She will go to college in 3 1/2 years, I don't think I can hold out much longer.

I feel like I am dying a little more each day (dramatic), as I realize we all have a final chapter.

Needed to get this back out there, give myself a push - heave/ho. Toes on the edge of the cliff, looking over, scared.

J

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey IrishJ,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having to deal with this type of situation.

If I may ask, what is the bottom line that keeps you from just Coming Out and, naturally, ending your marriage?

3. IrishJ

Fear! F E A R Fear!
    Humiliation, Disappointment, Broken commitment, Being ostracized, Abandonment, not sure if any of this sounds familiar?

I hate this..

4. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you're under enormous pressure and strain. All of those fears and worries sound familiar to me. Big hugs. I didn't hold out nearly as long as you, and I'm working on separation. It's an enormous decision, it's been very difficult but it's right for our family . But we each have to decide what's right for ourselves. Are you out to your wife? Are you able to reach out to the LGBT community near you at all?

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds ALL TOO FAMILIAR, IrishJ. Most of us have experienced it at various times in various situations. We can definitely empathize.

If it helps, give us more details about what your are going through. Sometimes, just writing it out is a therapy in and of itself.:slight_smile:

6. IrishJ

I cannot come out to my wife - I tell myself for fear of retribution. I live a stones throw from the LGBT community and am not able to reach out for fear of disclosure. I feel safe here for now, thank you empty closets and members!

We know that our relationship is not working, I just wish I could be honest with her and tell her what I am holding, I know I am not being fair for keeping this all bottled up for fear of her reaction. I hate myself for this. Worst part is being alone.

#6 IrishJ, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  7. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Irish, i think (from a personal experience) that its a constant balance. On oneside you have the himilliation, hate etc. Of why you dont come out and on the other hand you have the feeling of feeling hopeless and sad in your current situation. Up until now i feel that what is weighing more is the attachment towards hopeless and sadness because they are more familiar feeling to you. I have been there and i am pretty much still there but i have realised that the way that i have lived my life up until now hasnt been that great so i might aswell switch to the other side of the balance and embrace the initial shame and akwardness. I think its just survival incstint kicking in. Like you, i cant take anymore so i need to change the way i have been tacking things.

I am only 26 so i cant talk about the extremely difficult situation you must feel with your family.the only thing i can tell you is to be strong you will get there. I have a friend my age whose father came out when she was 15 and her brother was 11. After some initial understandable confussion she accepted her father who is an absolutely great guy!i wish you all the best and i know you will come stronger out of all this

8. NewHaircut

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It sounds to me like you are in a lot of pain from trying to control things that are out of your control. The idea of "free falling" is scary as hell, but sometimes letting go, being true to yourself, and realising that whilst you are not in control of what the outcome will be, a leap of faith can be liberating, no matter the consequences.

If you decide to come out, know that you will be setting the wheels in motion for something which is unstoppable anyway, and that letting go and trusting that things will turn out the way they are meant to, can actually lift some of that pain.

9. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As you portray her your wife sounds like a difficult person regardless of your sexuality. But at one point you were apparently happy enough together to get married and have kids. Perhaps you should try couples counseling to sort our the difficulties between you two, which may overlap with but are nevertheless distinct from your own questions and concerns about your sexuality.

10. BlueEyesNJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Irish and fellow members. I feel for you and your situation. I myself am separated and have kids. I am not out to anyone and am still struggling with who and what I am...mainly my sexuality. I feel Incm leaning more toward gay but have a fear of coming out.

11. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    IrishJ

It seems to me you are creating the circle of fear for yourself. Take away the sexual orientation issue, it sounds like you would be divorcing anyways. Divorce is hard, but kids do adapt.
    Don't you think this is effecting your daughter?

As for the sexual orientation part, you've said your youngest is in High School. Most of the kids that age that I have met are very open-minded and compassionate when it comes to sexual orientation. Why do think it would be so difficult on your daughter to accept you if she knew?

Your fears seem to be creating a false reality, like the opposite of 'rose-colored glasses', you put on a pair of ultra dark shades. I think if you take them off and look with open eyes, you'll see that you are in a pretty good position to take the first step out the door.

12. IrishJ

Thank you all for your responses. My daughters are both open minded and have no problem with the sexuality bit, this is not my concern - I know they both love me and will both have their "ahah" moment, moving on.

I just need to bite the bullet and move out, create the separation necessary to clear my head from the last 20+ years. My sexuality is not an issue with knowing who I truly am, it is the living day to day under the fraud of being heterosexual, married, living with a partner that if I were to share this with her, walls would come crashing down.

I am scared, not so much of the idea of coming out, more the ugliness and negativity that will come spewing from her mouth, it's effect on my both my daughter's and my psyche. Should be an interesting therapy session tomorrow as I inch closer to the door.

Your comments are most welcome, J

---------- Post added 9th Jan 2017 at 05:47 AM ----------

Perhaps you should try couples counseling to sort our the difficulties between you two, which may overlap with but are nevertheless distinct from your own questions and concerns about your sexuality.

I have been trying for years to get her to go to counseling with me or individually, she will have no part of this - classic narcissistic behavior.

13. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Recalling some of your older posts, and seeing you coming back under the pressure, leads me to believe you are about to seriously entertain the idea of finally doing what you know you need to do.

It's time to move forward with life. Your kids will be fine. Your relationship with your wife is irrelevant given how bad it currently is.

It's your only choice. And is time.

14. CameOutSwinging

Is there an option to leave your wife and come out later? You said there's issues outside of your sexuality, so perhaps divorcing over those issues would at least make the divorce aspect easier to deal with. Then in a few months you could come out, that way it isn't dealing with both things at the same time. And spares you from some potential venom from your wife.

Though I will say, I think we often fear the reactions of others because we fear losing them, when really honesty matters much more. Example, I have a hard time telling my ex that I'm dating guys. She asks and I lie. Then when she finds out, she gets upset, because I lied. Not because I'm dating. So one day recently I decided not to lie and told her the truth about a date I was going on. She was happy that I was honest. My fear of her not wanting to talk to me anymore if I told her that was unfounded. In fact, it made us closer in a way.

Letting go of trying to control the things we cannot (like how other people react to things about us) and being honest are two big lessons I'm learning in all of this. They're more important than anything about my sexuality.

15. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he would be going to go through a divorce, might as well rip the entire bandaid off and come out at the same time. Why drag everyone down an emotional rollercoaster for an unneeded additional amount of time? It might be painful, but at least it puts it all behind you and your family sooner rather than later. Everyones lives will be evolving, might as well do it all at once.

16. heythere999

Please come out as soon as possible. As far as we know we live only one life and it would be a shame to waste even more time not living the genuine life you crave for.

Also, I am sorry as I do not know the exact details of your marriage, but I think you need to cut your wife some slack. She is unwillingly part of a mixed orientation marriage and she is being deceived. As scared as you are of how she'll handle it... it's something you'll eventually have to do. Do it when you're ready, but try to make it (much) sooner, rather than later.

17. WriterArtGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going through a similar situation. I told my husband about 4 months ago. He took it pretty badly but now seems to be doing better. It's a hard decision to make- to either to live authentically and break up your marriage and family or stay with your family and put yourself last. I know I'm still young (33), but I've been with my husband for 10 years (with no kids), but I feel like I've been putting myself last all of this time with everything, and what good has it done me. At some point in your life, you need to do what's best for you. I know divorce and your family's reactions might be tough, but in the end it will be worth it- just so you can be who you are.

---------- Post added 10th Jan 2017 at 04:24 PM ----------

Also, I know you are afraid of coming out to your wife, and I don't know how she will react, but most people can surprise you. I would say that would be your first step. And it will make you feel much better about yourself. Also, go to the LGBT center. I've been seeing a therapist at mine and it's helping.

18. IrishJ

The truth, the truth, set me free, set me free. Getting closer, we are teasing out the idea of separation this coming summer. This will almost 5 months to get all of the financial arrangements in order, continue getting my head out of my bum and spend time in therapy trying to work out the grittiness of my past. By then I may just be able to pull the band aid off in one fell swoop, today, No!

I do not feel great about keeping all this in, not sharing with my wife - she does know my history, not that this is an excuse. We have an unhealthy marriage that we have kept going for 20+, the mess is inevitable I just need to be better prepared than I am currently. At least now I have a goal. Out in June, Out in June.

19. heythere999

Good for you!

But please feel some empathy for your wife. For over 20 years you have been deceiving her.

Once you come out, it's going to be hard as hell, but you'll be able to live as yourself. It'll be a long road to recovery, but that's okay. Just remember to not be negative. Whatever negative feelings or thoughts you have, you could always turn that energy into something positive. Let's say you hate how you feel like you wasted so much of your life, that you won't get to experience it... etc.. Why not share your life story so maybe others could read it and it could spread and maybe it'll encourage others to not follow that path? etc.

We all make mistakes. But you have a big change ahead of you that you're preparing for and you should be excited for that, and slowly, slowly, you should be getting happier.

Plus, seriously, better late than never.

20. IrishJ

"""""But please feel some empathy for your wife. For over 20 years you have been deceiving her. """""

:bang:
    This has not been a 20 year deception, more a slow discovery. She has known all along about my history as a tween, you can read more into this if you care to abuse etc.

She has not been supportive of my going to therapy.

What she wants at this point is irrelevant as what needs to happen for myself/daughters is the inevitable separation/divorce as I have a partner that is unwilling to pursue therapy. I have put it out there multiple times, offered the future of butter not bitter, but no bites. As I move closer to this separation I truly realize my unhappiness and hers, but not for the distinct reason of my sexual discovery/recovery/healing. I chose to participate in a very unhealthy, codependent relationship - as I become lucent, realizing that I choose not to participate and want out ASAP. Goal June 2017.

Just to clear up any misconceptions and providing my voice..

J