1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2D/4D Finger Ratio

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by bunnydee, Jan 7, 2017.

1. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Can someone explain this to me?
    I have heard many mention it here. Some say it is only in reference to men, others to both. Some as to orientation, others as to gender..

What is everyone talking about?

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2017 at 01:01 PM ----------

adding
    I am fab
    My ring finger is slightly longer than my index finger, more pronounced so on my left hand.

2. WarmEmbrace

Children who were exposed to lower T levels apparently have a longer Index finger and a shorter ring finger. The opposite is also true. It start from the womb :slight_smile:

Probably the science is more complex, but an overly simplified view:
    Shorter index finger, longer ring finger: more masculine mind/behaviour
    Shorter ring finger, longer index finger: more feminine mind/behaviour

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2017 at 08:08 PM ----------

starts*

3. NoPlaceLikeHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most females have ring and index fingers that are about the same length, While most men have longer ring fingers. This is mostly due to hormones, and some of those hormones also play a role in determining sexual orientation. Polls and studies have shown that homosexual females are much more likely to have a longer ring finger than straight females, but it is harder to tell on males.

I myself am gay an have a longer ring finger than index finger, especially on my left hand.

4. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you both, and thanks for the link.
    After reading it, I searched and found this 2d4d-ratio-masculinity/

I wonder what would show among those of us here.

5. WarmEmbrace

[​IMG]

Never been on any kind of hormonal treatment at that time, that's how they developed naturally. Wish someone would have talked with me about it before it happened though..

The powers that be: Hey soon-to-exist entity!
    Me: Yes?
    The powers that be: What do you say that when you form in the womb, you will be chromosomially male, but we'll make sure the hormones that you're exposed to are like the ones for females?
    Me : Huh ?
    The powers that be: Come on it will be HILLARIOUS! Your brain will be all female like and you'll have all these desires, but you body will develop in a different direction and it'll be all awkward!
    Me: Umm that ...sounds like a really bad idea ?
    The powers that be: And to take it up a notch, you'll be born in a very unnacepting society regarding these matters, and you'll be unable to even consider transition until late in life!
    Me: Umm.. please don't ?
    The powers that be: Woops, too late. Well you'll figure it out...

On a more serious note, my mom told me that she REALLY wanted a daughter when she was carrying me so maybe that's why. :confused:

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2017 at 09:36 PM ----------

Still. Looking at this picture gets me a so worked up again with the universe. I just wish once in this life, just once, to get to live that experience, where soemeone you love gives you flowers then kisses me passionately. Just ONE effin time. I did that and many things for others so many times all these years. Is that too much to ask Universe ? Is it ?
    .. yeah i'm bitter...

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2017 at 09:36 PM ----------

But I'll get over it :slight_smile:

6. WarmEmbrace

Ok done, over it now :grin:

7. Quist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah my index fingers are longer than my ring fingers, especially on my left hand.

I love girly things, I cross dress, and aside from being good at fixing things I don't really come across as that manly. Even when I was younger friends and family thought I might be gay because of my behavior.

8. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    (*hug*) WarmEmbrace

It funny (not haha funny) that you mention you mother wanted a daughter. I know you have said this elsewhere here before, but it clicked reading up on the finger thing.

My mom only wanted boys and was disappointed I was a girl. She absolutely loves my brother and just tolerates me. By the study research I read now on this, it's kind of weird that I have the longer ring finger to index finger, and I am homosexual lesbian.

Maybe what our moms think while we are in utero actually does cause the the amount of levels of which hormones we get. Something to ponder, I guess.

9. Godless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is this like a definitive thing or just a stronger chance of being masculine thing?

10. ARC36

I'm a trans guy and my ring finger is slightly longer than my index finger. More so on my left hand. I wonder if this is a trend with trans folk.

11. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The two links here showed:

"Basically, you can’t look at a man’s hands and determine if he’s gay or straight."

"Lesbians have a lower digit ratio, on average, than heterosexual women"

"A study in Germany has found a correlation between digit ratio and male-to-female transsexualism. Trans women were found to have a higher digit ratio than males, and one that was more comparable to females."

Lower digit ratio is where the ring finger is longer than the index finger.
    Higher digit ratio is where the index finger is longer than the ring finger.

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2017 at 09:57 PM ----------

Also there have been studies on brain size differences.
    "Scientists at the Karolinska Institute studied brain scans of 90 gay and straight men and women, and found that the size of the two symmetrical halves of the brains of gay men more closely resembled those of straight women than they did straight men. In heterosexual women, the two halves of the brain are more or less the same size. In heterosexual men, the right hemisphere is slightly larger. Scans of the brains of gay men in the study, however, showed that their hemispheres were relatively symmetrical, like those of straight women, while the brains of homosexual women were asymmetrical like those of straight men."
    What the Gay Brain Looks Like - TIME

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2017 at 09:59 PM ----------

"Another study on the brains of male-to-female (MTF) transsexual individuals, men, and women found that the volumes of gray matter across the different regions of the brains of MTF transsexuals are more or less similar to that in the brains of the men. However, the MTF transsexuals exhibited slightly greater volume of gray matter in the right putamen region of their brains compared to the men in the study. MTF transsexual individuals may have the same physical sexual characteristics as men, but they report feeling like women. This study bolsters the claims of the Savic-Lindström study that brain structure and functionality play a significant role in determining gender identity."

Homosexuality in the Brain | Brain Blogger

12. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My ring fingers are both fairly longer than my index on both hands, and they're about the same size. Interestingly enough, my mum did say to me she "felt" I was going to be a boy but she was happy with either. Apparently it felt slightly different with me than my sister. :/ Makes you wonder... is it crazy to think that mothers to be might pick up on these hormones on some level? Hmm... :eusa_thin I'm also left-handed.

I remember telling my friend about this ratio theory, but he thinks it's nonsense. He's straight and has slightly longer index fingers.

13. SiKiHe

my index fingers are both longer than my ring fingers. I wonder how many studies have been done on this whole finger thing. Also my second toe is the longest on both feet..

...maybe I'm just weird...

14. WarmEmbrace

There have been quite a few studies ( Google is good at finding them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), while it is statistically true, that does not mean that it is a hard rule, there re exceptions, so don't use that for validation one way or another :slight_smile: