1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Dustin Lance Black: I have no respect for actors who hide their sexuality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by CanadianRunner, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's stupid. Not everyone wants or needs the world to know their personal life and that's okay.

2. cibi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What did he mean by this ?

3. TOM666

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think he's being insensitive and unkind.
    There are actors who are heartthrobs or teen idols, coming out as gay at the wrong time can hurt their careers.
    I don't understand how your "living a lie" if you choose to keep your sex life private.

Studios and agents work together to create an image for actors that often differs from reality, for straight people too, for example they often hide the girlfriends of teen idols, so obsessed fan girls won't get jealous.

Also it's easy for Dustin Lance Black to talk, everything he writes is LGBT-based (Milk, 8, his new docu-drama "When We Rise") the only thing he ever wrote that wasn't solely about LGBT experience was "Big Love" and he was intimate with that topic because he's Mormon himself. He doesn't seem to have much imagination he just "writes what he knows".
    I mean his play "8" was "verbatim theatre" meaning he basically took he court transcripts and transcripted word for word for the stage.
    I tried to read it, it was boring, like reading court documents.

It's great to see someone document our struggle as LGBT people and tell our story but it would be more groundbreaking to have LGBT people doing all kinds of projects in Hollywood as from comedy to horror.

Maybe I don't like him because I had a crush on Tom Daley.

4. gchal00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read the article - thanks CanadianRunner for posting it. I don't get it.

Doesn't "No comment" equate to being closeted? That person chooses not to discuss it. He is not making sense, unless I am not comprehending what is written.

Coming out is one of the most important and personal decisions a person can make. It changes your life irrevocably.

While it would be a great help to our Community if all the LGBTQ+ celebrities and powerful, high profile people came out, it could ruin their lives. Just like us.

I think he made a very ignorant statement and I hope he was just caught off guard by the press when he said that. He may be a lauded Hollywood screenwriter, but he is about to marry a man many consider an Olympic and a Gay Icon. The brain has to act before the mouth speaks.

5. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And sadly, that's what a lot of gay activists come off to me as.

6. Joelouis

Things don't seem to be going well for him and Tom according to the red rag-tops.

7. Cauldron

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whatever happened to "Come out when you are ready"?