1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Games as Escapism for Trans Folk

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by WarmEmbrace, Jan 3, 2017.

1. WarmEmbrace

Hello.

I am more than a bit curios if, (and if yes how many) people here have used computer games for escapism from gender dysphoria, and which ones ?

I have spent so much time in MMOs and single player RPG's in my twenties, as a character that was aligned with my mind( typically I would pick support classes such as a healer, I know it is cliche.. but hey, support classes get to know people, I hated soloing) . I would spend so much time visiting these worlds because I felt more okay there, as my inner self was correctly represented and addressed to in that environment, and that was very comforting to me. Most of my social interaction in my life at tha ttime was with the family, guild people from the MMO, and with the people at work, but out of these three places in the game I could be the most ...myself I guess.

I even went as far as modding some of my favourite open world RPG games (the ones from Bethesda Softworks) to allow for in game flirting and even sexual interaction, (you could actually get male NPC's aroused by acting in a certain way or wearing enticing clothing and such :icon_redf ) and would spend time there when the real would would get too tough or alien. And always after a while would realize it is a band aid and would tell myself to stop doing that, to stop wasting time this way, would uninstall everything, only to reinstall it a few months later so the cycle would start anew :slight_smile:.

Never bought into the "Second Life" craze though, don't know why.

What are your experiences ?

2. Dented

Replaying Dragon Age: Inquisition roughly this time last year as a female character using the name I was considering at the time (and then going on to replay every single player RPG I owned doing the same...) was so helpful in getting my thought process going as to how I felt about my gender identity, and that game's always gonna mean a lot to me for that reason alone.

3. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I tend to play typical guys games (think shooter). These are the only ones I use for this purpose, I'm basically playing anything.

4. WarmEmbrace

Mmm yes Dragon Age is a good one, they had the courage to tackle quite a a diverse set of social themes there :slight_smile:.
    Mass Effect as well. Can't wait to see what they do with ME:Andromeda.

Btw love your signature quote :slight_smile:.

5. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    MMORPGs are my jam. And yes, I DO use it as a form of escapism, and I've found it can be a healthy way to lessen dysphoria. Mine hasn't been as bad since I started playing again, because I'm female in those games, and am interacted with and treated as such. ALL my characters are girls, and they're all different classes and such.

Right now it's mostly Star Wars: The Old Republic, with a bit of Lord of the Rings Online thrown in.

6. WarmEmbrace

@anthracite: hmm.. Just shooters ? No racing games ?
    I too used to play shooters as a kid, put a fair amount of effort in Battlefield 2142 , but ever since I allowed myself to feel less guilty about who I am , I find far more difficult to find enjoyment in playing shooters for more than 5-10 minutes for some reason and gravitate back towards RPG's. I just find shooters repetitive, i mean i get it , i shoot stuff, but what else is there ? I would much rather prefer a game where I can interact with a beautifully crafted digital world in other ways than just shooting stuff. The games that do a better job at balancing constructive/destructive impulses. I did play the heck out of No One Lives Forever 1 and 2 though :slight_smile:. I loved the aesthetic and being Cate Archer was such a guilty pleasure. Especially loved how the game didn't take itself very seriously yet somehow managed to make you think about serious aspect at times.

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2017 at 05:31 PM ----------

It is so much better, in day to day life when you have this outlet, right?

I went from Lineage 2 (which was like a drug to me) to Tera Online, Final Fantasy XIV , Blade And Soul, and now just reactivated Final Fantasy VX.

I couldn't get into World Of Warcraft because I didn't click with the character's aesthetic (found them downright ugly at the time to be honest). Lineage 2 was already out and had absolutely gorgeous outfits for all the races, even the orcs were gorgeous there :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2017 at 05:31 PM ----------

Final fantasy XIV i mean :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Bellerophon06

Grand Theft Auto: Online is my escape.

The character customisation options are fantastic.
    Even better are the insane amounts of available clothing, shoes, tattoos and hairstyles.

8. SiKiHe

When I play games where you can choose gender I always pick male. I use gaming to escape life in general. And I play just about anything.

9. anthracite

anthracite Guest

@WarmEmbrace: Oh yeah, I do play racing games but not for lessening dysphoria.

I also like the Assassins Creed Series very much. A great open world and sometimes it gets me into the idea of starting parkour...maybe I will after the winter is over.

10. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I play all sorts of games. Most not for relieving dypshoria though.

But, games that allow me to freely choose gender or romance who I want in the game help a lot.

11. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I definitely would agree that I've used video games to escape gender for a while. In fact it really makes sense, looking back, that the reason I chose certain games (such as RPG's) was to express the longing to be male.

For example, I have always played as a male character. If there was a choice, it was a guy. In RPGs, I would create - essentially - a male version of myself or what I wished I looked like. Whether this was in fantasy like the Elder Scrolls or a game like Sims where I could have a "normal life" as a guy. I would seek out games that gave me freedom in gender expression. Because I wasn't allowed that in real life.

It was never intentional, but I think the fact I was always so consistent in this regard was due to that secret, almost sad, wishfulness to be what the world told me I could never be.

12. anthracite

anthracite Guest

@Kodo: So did I, when I had the choice. There was only one occasion when I had a female character and that was because I didn't get along with my male swordfighter and the other male character didn't suit me at all. So I had the hot girl with the gun :slight_smile:

Even in Pokemon when the gender differences are almost non-existent I clicked on boy as a reflex, as fast as you close your eye before you get something in.

13. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like MMOs or co-op/multiplayer games in general. I find that when I play games I want to be alone and not have to worry about other players. That being said I can see the appeal of some of them.

I use video games as a method of escapism in general, not just because I'm trans. That being said it is comforting to be able to play male characters and be represented by them. That's all always fun.

I play all sorts, RPGs and racing games are my favourites. Fallout, Mass Effect, Forza, Burnout, Dragon Age, man you name it.

One of my goals is to actually develop "visual novels" through RPGMaker. Another form of escapism perhaps? Regardless I have stories to tell and want people to play them. Lol

14. MulticoloredSox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I play a lot of games for escapism but not necessarily because of gender dysphoria.

15. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes yes yes

all of them

16. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It definitely does help, yes!

17. Lazuri

Games have always been an escapism from me that I have used a lot. Whenever I felt gender dysphoria, I'd load up a game with a female player character and I'd feel better. I still do.

18. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sims!
    Haha~

19. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, very much, especially RPGs. Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls... And also Sims. Not an RPG, but I always find myself spending the most time with male characters.

FPS and racing games are also great, though they don't do as much in terms of escapism for me.

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here. If anything, I've played games more as a coping mechanism for my mental illnesses more than my dysphoria.