1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it okay not be over it?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Renegades, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So in several other posts, I've talked about a girl I really liked. I told her about my feelings, and she rejected me in probably the nicest way someone ever could be rejected. Her rejection surprised me because it seemed like we had a decent amount of chemistry, and I was pretty excited when I told her because I thought I would be successful in finally getting a relationship. Though this wasn't a breakup, this is what I imagine one to feel like. I'm afraid if I don't move on, then my next chance at a relationship will go over my head. But I'm also afraid that if I start dating someone, she will tell me that she wants to date. Regardless of these fears, is it okay to feel heartbroken? I've never been in a situation like this, and I don't want to miss a chance of a relationship, but part of me doesn't want to get over this girl.

2. Civiel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "is it okay to feel heartbroken?"

Just let me first start with telling you; Yes, of course it is okay. It would be very weird if you weren't. Look at it this way; this is a girl you loved, when we feel like we're losing things we love it feels horrible, but at the same time the fact that you are feeling this heartbroken at all is a testament to how much you are able to love.

I was in the same situation as you a few years back, I won't tell you exactly how it went, because I don't want to either crush your hope or give you hope, because your situation is as unique as any other. But I have to ask, how did she reject you? Did she openly say that "No, I do not want to be in a relationship, not now, not ever", if that is the case then you have to listen to and believe that, which I am sure you do.

And if that is the case, that you were thoroughly rejected then i'd tell you to just accept that you are sad. It can take weeks, months, even years for some, but you will get over it. And in the meantime you have to decide if you want to stay close friends with the girl you love, or if you should distance yourself. There's no real answer here, but if you are so heartbroken that you are in risk of developing a depression, i would try and distance myself rather than to keep hanging around her.

And lastly, on the whole "Though this wasn't a breakup, this is what I imagine one to feel like." it sounds to me like you were good friends, so in that way it is exactly like a breakup, and breakups are horrible. Allow yourself to be sad, but also try to think of the positive things that will come out of this. You will love someone again, and maybe because she turned you down you will meet the person of your life afterwards?

I understand that you don't want to let her go, I understand extremely well. But if she really did tell you that a relationship would be impossible, then let it go. It is better to let her go, be sad for a month and then get back up on your feet. Than to keep hoping ang keep getting let down for years.

Best of luck to you <3